Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2017 4:21:48 PM EDT
I dont own a drone but cant help but think they could be handy say surveying property from a distance or getting a nice 360 degree view of the area around you.
what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I dont own a drone but cant help but think they could be handy say surveying property from a distance or getting a nice 360 degree view of the area around you.
what do you guys think?
View Quote

Damn right!

We're thinking abt it...

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn right!

We're thinking abt it...

View Quote
go on....

What would be ideal? one that "beams" a video back to your phone as real time as possible? Id guess something as small as possible too to keep it from being noticed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for recon. If you're clever and resourceful, you could arm them and use them as guided weapons systems in their own right.

Your cell nanospot or wifi will violate emcon and give you away.

If S truly HTF, you'll need to power and recharge them and their control devices...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good for recon. If you're clever and resourceful, you could arm them and use them as guided weapons systems in their own right.

Your cell nanospot or wifi will violate emcon and give you away.

If S truly HTF, you'll need to power and recharge them and their control devices...
View Quote
true. arming them would be sick.
im thinking about trying to see potential danger spots up the road or surveying your property quickly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for carrying a paracord traveller over top of a high tree limb to haul up an antenna.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the aerial footage thread in the hobby subforum...

You will get an idea of what can be capable.

You could build a long range FPV plank that cruises at 60-80mph and cover several miles on one pack with a 10-15 minute flight time.   Or build an FPV duration wing that could stay up for over half an hour with multiple cameras.

Could run an a DJI flying tripod as well with 15-20 minute flight times.

Or could have an fpv racer that you could chase down a car with and fly it right through the window at 50-70mph...

Yeah lots of options.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try the aerial footage thread in the hobby subforum...

You will get an idea of what can be capable.

You could build a long range FPV plank that cruises at 60-80mph and cover several miles on one pack with a 10-15 minute flight time.   Or build an FPV duration wing that could stay up for over half an hour with multiple cameras.

Could run an a DJI flying tripod as well with 15-20 minute flight times.

Or could have an fpv racer that you could chase down a car with and fly it right through the window at 50-70mph...

Yeah lots of options.
View Quote
wow. sounds cool ill have to check that out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In a few years they'll be even more capable than they are now.

They're just barely out of their infancy technology wise.

Imagine one flying a user defined pattern with a thermal camera and it can detect differences in the view from the last pass around.

Imagine mounting a semi-automatic pistol on one.
View Quote
Except if you buy a DJI product and suddenly it wont connect to the internet to update before flying.

Or worse you goto fly and everywhere has been deemed a nofly zone.

Some of these devices are too smart for their own good.   Learning to fly by seat of the pants and not rely on auto pilot is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I use my dji mavic to look for trespassers already.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
As I mentioned, Im really uneducated on it.
Something that needs updated via the internet to work right is probably not ideal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

go on....

What would be ideal? one that "beams" a video back to your phone as real time as possible? Id guess something as small as possible too to keep it from being noticed.
View Quote
A small wx proof automatic shelter/hangar for one on top of the barn, automatic recharge, control link antenna on the roof, access to the controls and display from the LAN...

...not interested in 'cell phone' control,

We have good line of sight.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A small wx proof automatic shelter/hangar for one on top of the barn, automatic recharge, control link antenna on the roof, access to the controls and display from the LAN...

...not interested in 'cell phone' control,

We have good line of sight.
View Quote
sounds complicated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I called the police on an intrusion alarm at a closed large building just the other day, the police showed up with a drone, equipped with a thermal camera.  It made quick work of finding the bad guys on the roof of the building.

I want one with a thermal camera.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
It really depends on what you want to do with the drone. If it's just hop up and take a look around, a 3DR solo would work fine for that. DJI less so. I've got 2 different ones that carry GoPros. The hexacopter has a 3-axis stabilized gimbal that can be pointed under the control of either an R/C receiver or the autopilot. That one also has an analog 5.8Ghz video downlink. The IRIS+ unit has a 2-axis gimbal and still takes pretty decent video. But, it doesn't transmit that down in real-time like the other one does.

If you're wanting to surveil the perimeter of anything of any size at all, you need a fixed-wing for that. There are hand-launched versions that can stay in the air for 45 minutes to 2 hours,  depending on the arm strength of the launcher. The Pixhawk ecosystem allows a great deal of flexibility in terms of the types of missions that can be performed. And, if you do it right, there are multiple methods of control that can be used. Redundancy in links is a good thing. Bigly.

For really long missions, look at the Albatross by Applied Aero (I think) and the Skywalker X8. Both are bigger birds that can carry a decent payload and a large battery set. You can find the Albatross at the robotshop.com and the Skywalker X8 from HobbyKing.

For IR, if that's what you need, look at the SEEK IR camera that can be attached to an android smart fone. That's by far the least expensive approach to decent rez IR imagery, particularly compared to the spendy FLIR cameras.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
OST

I've been interested in this topic for a number of reasons for some time.

I've got a buddy into it who talks about guys with drones that can follow gps waypoints for like 5 miles & back but when he starts talking about it he might as well be speaking Arabic.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use my dji mavic to look for trespassers already.
View Quote
This is what I've been looking at as well.  I see a lot of value, but it really depends on what you want as there are some exceptional ones on the market with superb video, longer fly-times, better distance, bigger payloads, etc.  My intent was just some basic patrolling around our property.  On a smaller tactical level, you can really avoid an ambush just by doing short-range aerial-recon.  Having that type of platform for intel is priceless. The only issue is realism when it comes to flight time, which isn't much for many of the smaller and lighter battery operated choices.

My biggest fear is that the hobby will get funneled into "fly zones".  You already can't use a drone in National Parks, how soon before city or county ordinances win a court battle to ban drone-use?  As soon as some enterprising terrorist successfully uses a AVBIED (aerial-vehicle-borne improvised explosive device), which they are already doing in some countries, drones will go the way of NFA at worst, or heavily regulated at the least.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I want one but it will be a while before I am ready.
I did talk to a local pilot and was talking about how his communicates with someone so as to follow local restrictions???
Does this mean if SHTF and comms go down that the drone won't fly?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want one but it will be a while before I am ready.
I did talk to a local pilot and was talking about how his communicates with someone so as to follow local restrictions???
Does this mean if SHTF and comms go down that the drone won't fly?
View Quote
That seems possible...  needs to have an over-ride...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OST

I've been interested in this topic for a number of reasons for some time.

I've got a buddy into it who talks about guys with drones that can follow gps waypoints for like 5 miles & back but when he starts talking about it he might as well be speaking Arabic.
View Quote
this is how this thread makes me feel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is what I've been looking at as well.  I see a lot of value, but it really depends on what you want as there are some exceptional ones on the market with superb video, longer fly-times, better distance, bigger payloads, etc.  My intent was just some basic patrolling around our property.  On a smaller tactical level, you can really avoid an ambush just by doing short-range aerial-recon.  Having that type of platform for intel is priceless. The only issue is realism when it comes to flight time, which isn't much for many of the smaller and lighter battery operated choices.

My biggest fear is that the hobby will get funneled into "fly zones".  You already can't use a drone in National Parks, how soon before city or county ordinances win a court battle to ban drone-use?  As soon as some enterprising terrorist successfully uses a AVBIED (aerial-vehicle-borne improvised explosive device), which they are already doing in some countries, drones will go the way of NFA at worst, or heavily regulated at the least.

ROCK6
View Quote
Im not all that worried about no fly zones. if being used in a shtf scenario I doubt some drone flying that they may or may not have seen will be a priority.
Im mostly thinking of using it on my own property or as I said some shtf scenario.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#23]
In my mind i envision quicker missions, fly up, look around and back down.
or maybe, peek around a corner or look a few streets ahead.
Gopro use would be epic if used for a hobby. But Im not sure having to review the footage separately would be ideal for what I was thinking.
Maybe something pretty compact and durable that you could toss in a get home bag or keep in the truck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
lots of hits on youtube
This guy seems to have a quality channel:
Drones for SHTF and Prepping: Force Multiplier
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
To me SHTF means no power and no re-charging capabilities.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
lots of shtf scenarios that allow for electricity to still work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
No it will be a target! Easy to hit with 7# also take power from other things that need power to live!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Paint it sky blue and use it at altitude.
I am in BFE and like the idea of sending it out to reconnoiter as it takes me a full day to check the perimeter and then it leaves the cabin unprotected.

The more I think about it I really need one and 5 spares in case no one makes it home and I am on my own.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
One solar panel of ~240 watts.  ~$200. 30 x 60 inches.  Unless sun availability is an issue.

Like during eclipses...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No it will be a target! Easy to hit with 7# also take power from other things that need power to live!
View Quote
Good luck. I can still see cars and people from higher than you can hit it at.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shooting a drone only works with crappy drones (that have virtually no range and/or bad optics) and/or ignorant operators that keep them too low.  Most medium/high end drones can fly much higher than you can realistically shoot it (often too high for you to easily see or hear it).  Meanwhile, with a good camera, they can still see everything they need to or want to.  That is also assuming they aren't moving.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shooting a drone only works with crappy drones (that have virtually no range and/or bad optics) and/or ignorant operators that keep them too low.  Most medium/high end drones can fly much higher than you can realistically shoot it (often too high for you to easily see or hear it).  Meanwhile, with a good camera, they can still see everything they need to or want to.  That is also assuming they aren't moving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Spend some time waterfowl hunting & you'll learn how futile sky blasting is pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want to know what is really capable you should check into how ISIS is using drones against coalition forces in Iraq & Syria. They are employing drones very effectively not only to survey, but also drop munitions. Depending on the guidance system being employed it can be VERY difficult to trace the source of the control...

Depending on how you plan to employ a drone it may or may not be effective...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you want to know what is really capable you should check into how ISIS is using drones against coalition forces in Iraq & Syria. They are employing drones very effectively not only to survey, but also drop munitions. Depending on the guidance system being employed it can be VERY difficult to trace the source of the control...

View Quote
Yeah I think there is likely some very amazing abilities that we have only scratched the surface on.
I think for now most of it is over my head.
Are there drones out there that just have "ports" (kinda like a usb port) that one could just plug attachments to and have remote function of the port?
example: you could plug in a specific camera IR/thermal, or a pick up claw etc to the port and activate it with the controls. (just on/off/ functionality)
I think plug and play would be the next step for these things (maybe its already here I dont know).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah I think there is likely some very amazing abilities that we have only scratched the surface on.
Are there drones out there that just have "ports" (kinda like a usb port) that one could just plug attachments to and have remote function of the port?
example: you could plug in a specific camera IR/thermal, or a pick up claw etc to the port and activate it with the controls. (just on/off/ functionality)
I think plug and play would be the next step for these things (maybe its already here I dont know).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modular drones would be pretty awesome. I just hope we can see some improvement in battery life/flight time. The current drones are already amazing capability wise; they just need to up their flight times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will say I don't know squat about drones really. Just know the above that I shared.

That being said, they have to be controlling things somehow (dropping functions etc). I don't know if it's "plug & play" or if there is any sort of multi-use outputs, but there is definitely some way to connect the controller brains to auxiliary functions at least on some drones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#38]
How hard would it be to just make a small hot air balloon with corded cameras, send it up on 500 feet of cord?  Even 200 feet would be huge, just have a little Esbit tab or something for heat?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to just make a small hot air balloon with corded cameras, send it up on 500 feet of cord?  Even 200 feet would be huge, just have a little Esbit tab or something for heat?
View Quote
Like a small PTID but hot-air instead of helium?

Why not go helium? Buy a small balloon cylinder and you'll be able to fill a smaller helium balloon time and time again without the need for a fuel source or flame source. Fire + high-end optics at a high elevation sounds like a big risk to kill your cameras.

The actual downside to it is that it's much less discreet than a drone. Drones are small and not very visible. Despite the noise they make, a drone, at higher altitude can go completely unnoticed. It takes a MUCH larger balloon to carry the same payload, but a balloon can loiter forever as long as it doesn't have a leak or need maintenance. The P in PTID stands for Persistent IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Have security cams around the house?  It is one thing to have a dog bark, it is a whole nothing thing to have tape of everything that occurs when you are and are not at home.

My dogs have a few different barks, evil bunny rabbit in the yard is easy.  Neighbor's cat loafing on some scrap wood.  Dog coming close to our yard.  Some person walking the road, person crossed street to get as far from us as possible.  Person or truck in yard, come check this out. 

The balloon option is certainly something to consider but the drone is as well.  Use em both would be my opinion. 

As far as shtf and power, last big campout we had in this area someone brought a relative.  Relative expected classes on cave man tech.  Instead we pulled out coolers and chairs and luxuries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:.

ROCK6
View Quote
That is why you learn to do it yourself and not rely on ready built offerings like DJI.

I have no return to home, I could use that kind of flight controller with GPS if I wanted, but there is know terms of use EULA type crap.

If you move to a HAM band you can change out to 433mhz or 915mhz on my control link and get some RETARDED flight distance performance out of my controller.   On regular 2.4ghz I can already get around 400 yards in an semi urban envionment.    On 2.4ghz your are or or less locked to 5.8ghz for video link but you can still get some range out of it, just not much for penetration, diversity receiver with circular polarized antennas is pretty much a must.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe if it is a flying tripod...

This is me just cruising around and having some casual fun.   Imagine, under a survival genre concept, if I flew it with a bit more hostile intent.  

On my control/video link I can pretty much fly the entire perimeter of that park from where I am flying on the back of my truck.   I can fly through much more confined spaces as well.

At 120 amps and 16 volts it will hit 55-65mph.   On a 25.2 volt system it will do 65-75mph or more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

go on....

View Quote
My Mavic pro does, can be flown miles away and at 400 feet is very hard to hear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I installed a "drop kit" on my Phantom 4. The 4 can lift about a 1.5 lbs safely. The trigger uses the switch under the remote control that turns the lights off and on. A photo switch is taped to it and when the light turns on, it triggers a rc servo that pulls a pin and drops a payload. I have it configured to carry water bottles, ifak and a small paracord mount for hoisting and dropping j pole antennas. I also built a very bright led light set up for SAR. All these extra weight items do shorten batt life.

http://www.gimbal-guard.com/phantom-4-pro

I also have three different sizes of claw grapples made out of carbon fiber. Much harder to use than I originally thought. It takes a good hand and lots of experience.

Here is the large, it is almost too heavy to search with, if you know were your going, it will work. It will lift another drone. not for long though, I get overspeed warnings after a minute of flying loaded. It will work if your quick and have a plan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Extra-Large-Mantis-Claw-Drone-Recovery-Hook-Grabber-System-G10-Kit-/262736131076?epid=17003410852&hash=item3d2c4b3404:g:LZcAAOSw-0xYOg8o
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the helium balloon option and would like the ability to run it up at night and watch to light sources etc. just bring it in before it becomes a beacon to draw attention.
I have seen tethered drones but they are pricey.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Even cheap nightvision should pick up light sources well.  Thermal would be interesting as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Little commercial drones were used to spot for artillery during the Ukraine-v-Russia conflict a little while ago.

It may not be what you had in mind, but I'd imagine from the perspective of some Ukrainians the stuff was hitting the fan.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#48]
i think its an excellent idea for survival however they can be shot down very easily and they are noisy. I can hear drones from quite a distance if its pretty quiet which i imagine
in a survival situation it will be. if they some how ever design a drone that is noiseless, the applications are limitless.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
i think its an excellent idea for survival however they can be shot down very easily and they are noisy. I can hear drones from quite a distance if its pretty quiet which i imagine
in a survival situation it will be. if they some how ever design a drone that is noiseless, the applications are limitless.
View Quote
You honestly believe you can shoot down something the size or a beer can at 400 feet?

When my Mavic Pro is that high you can barely see it or hear it. If it was painted grey
I bet it would nearly impossible to see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You honestly believe you can shoot down something the size or a beer can at 400 feet?

When my Mavic Pro is that high you can barely see it or hear it. If it was painted grey
I bet it would nearly impossible to see.
View Quote
Most the time I can't spot my Mavic Pro in the sky when I know its there!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top