Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2009 6:53:32 AM EDT
I mentioned some deck railing containers we had gotten a few years ago. thought I would show a picture.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't seen that kind before, but that may be because i wasn't looking for that item in particular. I think they look pretty stable.

What was the cost and what are the dimensions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Haven't seen that kind before, but that may be because i wasn't looking for that item in particular. I think they look pretty stable.

What was the cost and what are the dimensions?

They are sitting on a 2X6 rail.

I am guessing about 8" wide at the bottom, maybe 10" at the top, perhaps 24" long. Can't say I ever measured them.

We got them at a lumber yard a few years ago. They are plastic and were cheap. Don't recall the price now. No more then a $4 or $5 though. I think we bought ten.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those I was considering growing 3 squash plants in. I was not sure of it holds enough though. It will hold 35-40lbs of humus/compost though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have one of those I was considering growing 3 squash plants in. I was not sure of it holds enough though. It will hold 35-40lbs of humus/compost though.

One normal-size squash plant will be all one of those could hold I think. They spread WAY out.

BTW to the op: Those are way cool. Never saw those before. Looks like they have a notch to sit on a 2x4 as well. I wonder if they'd be as stable on the smaller rail?

OH....where are the drain holes? In the bottom on the sides...way down below the rail, I'm hoping?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
There are drain holes in the bottom outside the 2X6 inset area where the thing would sit on the ground if it was on the ground.

I tried growing zucchini and squash in them without a whole lot of luck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are sitting on a 2X6 rail.

I am guessing about 8" wide at the bottom, maybe 10" at the top, perhaps 24" long. Can't say I ever measured them.

We got them at a lumber yard a few years ago. They are plastic and were cheap. Don't recall the price now. No more then a $4 or $5 though. I think we bought ten.
Sounds pretty reasonable. alot of outdoor plastic products degrade over a single summer so if you have had yours for a couple years i think you are doing pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I found them HERE but unfortunately they are much more than $5.00.  

I may have bought them at the end of the season.

And plastic was cheaper a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top