Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 4:18:39 PM EDT
looking to put a cb radio in an ammo can just to have some sort of communiction.....my question is what kind of power source would be recommended?....and how would i maintain the source...sorry for my newb question
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:33:28 PM EDT
These look interesting.  Don't know how well they would work but seem interesting.  These coupled with a marine deep cycle battery might work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2010 9:51:00 PM EDT by Skibane]
My philosophy is that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 12 volt auto battery. They are everywhere, and just one of 'em will power a CB radio for many, many hours.

So, I don't see much point in putting a dedicated battery or power supply inside your ammo can. Batteries are heavy, take up a lot of space, and - as previously mentioned - you probably already have one or eleven of 'em in vehicles nearby.

That space in your ammo can could probably  be better used for storing a DC power extension cord - something with battery post clips on one end. I don't recommend cigar lighter plugs anymore, since many vehicles shut off DC power to the socket whenever the ignition switch is turned off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:47:44 AM EDT
http://www.amazon.com/12V-7Ah-Battery-Charger-Combo/dp/B0006OBOFK something like that would do the job. if you have room you can run two of them or even get a larger one with more AH's. knowing how many amps the CB pulls while in standby, RX and TX will also help you figure out how large a battery you need.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:22:26 AM EDT
the car battery is very sound thinking and thank u for the info......but i think the sealed lead battery is just what im looking for...thanx all
Top Top