Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 4:18:39 PM EDT
looking to put a cb radio in an ammo can just to have some sort of communiction.....my question is what kind of power source would be recommended?....and how would i maintain the source...sorry for my newb question
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#1]
These look interesting.  Don't know how well they would work but seem interesting.  These coupled with a marine deep cycle battery might work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My philosophy is that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 12 volt auto battery. They are everywhere, and just one of 'em will power a CB radio for many, many hours.

So, I don't see much point in putting a dedicated battery or power supply inside your ammo can. Batteries are heavy, take up a lot of space, and - as previously mentioned - you probably already have one or eleven of 'em in vehicles nearby.

That space in your ammo can could probably  be better used for storing a DC power extension cord - something with battery post clips on one end. I don't recommend cigar lighter plugs anymore, since many vehicles shut off DC power to the socket whenever the ignition switch is turned off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.amazon.com/12V-7Ah-Battery-Charger-Combo/dp/B0006OBOFK something like that would do the job. if you have room you can run two of them or even get a larger one with more AH's. knowing how many amps the CB pulls while in standby, RX and TX will also help you figure out how large a battery you need.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
the car battery is very sound thinking and thank u for the info......but i think the sealed lead battery is just what im looking for...thanx all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top