Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2011 12:43:18 PM EDT
I am sure some one already runs a system like this around here, but I thought it was a pretty cool idea.  I was searching around following some of the stealth cargo trailer converted campers and found this video.  It would obviously draw a lot of attention if you were in public and it was deployed. But having space to haul inside the trailer and solar power to top off energy use.  It also has a wind turbine.  

Probably super expensive and who knows how long the panels would last with all the flex and shaking.  I think a rescue crew/post disaster would find good use with this minimizing the run time of the generator.

thanks

nct

The video
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not mount them on top?
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Badlatitude:  I think that is a great question.  Why not have a few on any flat topped trailer or RV.  You could power your batteries to keep a fan moving air or to run the frid to keep the adult beverages nice and cool.

He did four years ago!  Thanks for the link.  That was a good read.  

Someday I will figure this solar stuff out.  This would work well for HAMs too on field days.

What would be a rough price guide for the DIYer building or outfitting a similar trailer? Are his prices still about right?

nct
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Untill someone made me an offer I couldnt refuse on my race car , enclosed trailer and golf cart. I planned on just selling off the car and doing a conversion on the trailer. I kinda of toy hauler with living quarters / bug out hunting trip trailer. It was a 24x8.5 box.

I wanted to do everything in 12 volt and use solar alogn with a small 4 stroke generator to run it. I kind of wish I had kept the trailer every time I see a thread like this =(
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy has done a great job on a stealth camper.

http://cheaprvliving.com/StealthCargoTrailer.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link stickboy.  I will have to move in less than a year and I have been rolling around the idea of picking up an enclosed trailer to avoid the uhaul.  This way I could use it for other things..wink.  Making a stealth camper with some solar capability would be great.  I would need to have a multipurpose setup and maintain the ability to place cargo in the trailer.

Are normal solar panels durable enough for this job?  Are there specifics?  

Anyone here done this?

Thanks,

nct
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top