Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 10/26/2013 8:41:28 AM EDT
I'm currently using the "pack n stack" portable ladder stand. It's nice and portable but setup is a bit loud. Also the platform is too small biasing issues bow hunting.

A climber by us is very limiting on trees as we are in jack pine country and straight trees are few and far between. Is there anything out there you can set up in the dark with a flashlight and hunt that same morning that has a decent size platform?

I've considered a hang on but setup looks like a big pita and screwing in to a tree in WI is a no go on public land leaving me stuck with climbing sticks as an only option. Any other solutions?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:01:13 AM EDT
I have two Lone Wolf Alpha Assalt hang on stands with three of their climbing sticks.

Once you practice setting it up about 5 times, it is very easy and fast.

I only hunt public land and I hump this set up a mile or more quite often.
The stand is quite a few years old and weighs 8.5 lbs.
total weight with sticks is 17lbs
It is a pricey set up though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:38:34 AM EDT
Spendy but worth it.  Lone Wolf climbing sticks, they interlock when packed up and go on silent and easy.  Then add any one of the Lone Wolf strap on stands.  You won't find a quieter set up.  The only hollow metal on the stand is the riser from the stand to the seat, which helps reduce noise big time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:40:57 AM EDT
This is probably a really stupid question but how does one hang a stand? I'm assuming once u get the sticks up and secured u have to belt yourself to the tree so you can pull the stand up and use both hands to secure it?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:09:53 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Towely:
This is probably a really stupid question but how does one hang a stand? I'm assuming once u get the sticks up and secured u have to belt yourself to the tree so you can pull the stand up and use both hands to secure it?
View Quote

Its best to use a harness with a linemans belt.  I prefer the Muddy harnesses but I concur what the above two have said.  I have  a Lone wolf Assault with 4 sticks and is one of the best systems out there. Very quiet too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:56:24 PM EDT
Yeesh.. 260 for the stand minus the sticks. It sure does look nice but that's out of my budget. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something used a big sale. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:03:59 PM EDT
Summitstands.com.

Their SOP original body harness makes things safe and easy to put on and use.

Here is a quick video that demonstrates hanging stands pretty well. He has a couple cool tricks that save weight and time.

Pushing down on the stand b4 pulling the platform level eliminates the need for ratchet straps and the loops hanging from the linemans attachments allow you to carry sticks as you climb.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fQeTZ_kpM
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 4:58:09 PM EDT by doubleshot00]
Or look into the Millennium tree stands.  I have the M100, M150 and L100.  They are worth it cause how comfortable they are and you can have multiple spots with one stand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 5:41:38 PM EDT by Mach]
Originally Posted By Towely:
I'm currently using the "pack n stack" portable ladder stand. It's nice and portable but setup is a bit loud. Also the platform is too small biasing issues bow hunting.

A climber by us is very limiting on trees as we are in jack pine country and straight trees are few and far between. Is there anything out there you can set up in the dark with a flashlight and hunt that same morning that has a decent size platform?

I've considered a hang on but setup looks like a big pita and screwing in to a tree in WI is a no go on public land leaving me stuck with climbing sticks as an only option. Any other solutions?
View Quote

ghostblind

not in a tree but setup on the ground in 30 seconds. I hunt places I have never been before all the time.

actual pictures taken by me of my ghostblind

I took a buck at 9 yards behind this setup

have taken 3 in the last 3 years including one on Tue with my  ghostblind in places I had never set foot in before I setup to hunt, walik in, find a good spot, hunting in less than 2 minutes.

I hunt exclusively with a bow.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:04:44 PM EDT
Very impressive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:31:44 AM EDT
I've threatened to buy one of those before, my do it yet.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:28:18 AM EDT
That ghost blind is COOL
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:49:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NukaCola:
That ghost blind is COOL
View Quote

I have nothing to do with the company.

It allows me to walk into a place I have never been before, do some quiet scouting and set up to hunt real time, even places with no or few trees.

3 years ago I was out hunting a primary scrape area. Unknown to me I was setup on a buck's trail. He came in, I watched him freshen his scrape and then he walked right to me. At 5 yards he stopped, realizing something was in his way. I did not take a shot because he was looking right at me and by the time he turned around to leave, it was too dark to see him.

He was a 12 pointer and he walked 30 to 5 yards directly at me until he figured out something was not right.
Top Top