Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:33:31 PM EDT
I was given some from ctd and want to try some others before I buy a few extras.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak from experience, but I'm going to give Emergency Essentials a try. Seems like a good selections of the entrees, sides and desserts.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Yep.  I called ArmyGear a couple years ago (been too long ago to remember who I spoke to) to ask them who manufactured their MREs,how old they were, etc.  They told me their store was located near to a military base (Army?) and .mil folks would come in and sell their spare MREs to ArmyGear.  Then ArmyGear would package them up and sell 'em out to the public.  I have no prob with that but I don't know if that's actually true.  I can say they are $20-$30 cheaper than anyone else for a case of MREs.  I haven't gotten around to ordering any yet as I split a case with a buddy and use 'em for my GHB.  For regualar backpacking, I use MountainHouse as it's lighter and a good bit tastier.  It's about time for me to eat those old MREs up and get some fresh ones so this thread is rather useful.  Curious to see if anyone else has heard this from ArmyGear or eaten any of their MREs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]

This.

Best deal around. By far the best MREs I've had are the issue MREs, these are issue MREs. They used to have a better deal... prices rise, tho. There are lots of copies out there, none of them are as good.

Honestly though, unless you need an MRE for its unique qualities canned foods are far more cost effective and offer vastly greater variety. You can easily triple your caloric intake with canned foods. MREs are relatively expensive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Chicken and rice. But they quit making it though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Chicken and rice. But they quit making it though.

Agreed!

Also, I know where you can get them FREE...as many as you want...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly though, unless you need an MRE for its unique qualities canned foods are far more cost effective and offer vastly greater variety.

Probably the best advice I've read about MREs in years. Aside from the novelty of eating "GI grub," MREs kinda suck.

I have cases of them. They get tired right away, but despite the jokes about MREs producing turds you could nail down railroads with, they do come in handy for a few things.

I have a few cases out buried with my caches, and I always carry one in my pack with me when we go fishing. I carry a couple in my GHB. Thats about it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I love the shredded buffalo chicken
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top