Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/11/2018 1:58:31 AM
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 11/21/2018 4:28:48 PM EST
I've been backpacking for several years now and am far from being some avid explorer but I found some simple tricks that have helped me out that I thought I'd share. Some may be weird

Liquid sweetener containers (1.68 fl oz) are perfect to fill with denatured alcohol for alcohol stoves. One container holds enough alcohol to bring 1 cup of water to a boil, two times. They are small enough to fit in any nook in your backpack and weigh just 13.5 grams.
They are re-usable and as long as you’re okay with burning plastic, they can be burnt up when they’re empty.

Old pill bottles are great for carrying fire starter items. Matches and strike strips fit in most. Fill one with cotton balls and soak them with baby oil and they will last for years. They are also ideal for coffee, sugar, non-dairy creamer

If you can get ahold of this, a ½” spacing wire mesh screen with 1/16” diameter wires makes a great portable grill. Cut it to around 12” x 12” and it should fit in the pocket that most backpacks have for a hydration bladder. To use it, simply place 2 large logs approximately 10” apart and rest it on top of them over some hot embers. Or use steel tent stakes as legs and rest it on top of them over the embers. To make storage cleaner get a bubble wrap shipping envelope that is large enough for it to fit inside of.

Speaking of:
Bubble Wrap Shipping Envelopes are great insulators while reconstituting freeze-dried meals – especially reflective mylar ones. Simply slide the meal packet into a bubble-wrap envelope to help keep the water hot longer. There’s nothing worse than waiting 10 minutes to open the meal packet to discover that the meal is now barely warm.

Water bottle measuring cup. At home get a plastic water bottle and a measuring cup. Fill the water bottle to the top then pour out water into the measuring cup until the measuring cup is holding ½ cup. Then mark the water line on your water bottle with a sharpie. Pour out another ½ cup and mark the water line again. Do this until the water bottle is empty. You now have a plastic water bottle with ½” cup measurements marked from the top down. Cover your sharpie lines with clear mylar tape so they can’t be rubbed away.

Some egg sellers put their eggs in rigid clear plastic containers, as opposed to the styrofoam or pressed paper containers. These plastic containers have locking tabs and can be cut down to hold any number of eggs. but they also hold other delicate items, like strawberries.

I like taking booze with me when I go backpacking but I don’t like drinking it warm. So I tried this and it worked. I poured my rum into a freezer bag and then double bagged it in case of leakage. That made it easier to fit in my backpack and didn’t require a bottle. I then got an ammonium nitrate ice pack and cut it open and removed the water packet from inside. I poured the ammonium nitrate into a sandwich bag and measured the water in the water packet. When I got to my camping site I measured out the water I needed and activated the ammonium nitrate. Then I placed that in the outer freezer bag and laid it on the ground with the booze on top of it. This trapped the ice pack between the booze and the ground. It cooled the rum and I enjoyed a nice cold drink. To make this work more effectively, place your booze in a stream for a few minutes so it gets pre-chilled. When the ice-pack thaws, just dump it out, it's just fertilizer.

Most mens swimsuits come with a small pocket on the inside of them. These pockets are typically made from a cloth mesh material with an overlapping opening, making it difficult for stuff to fall out of them. Cut the pocket out of an old pair of swim trunks and place a piece of a bar of soap in it. Use this to scrub your pots/pans/cups/silverware clean. The cloth material is usually pretty rough and the soap provides the lather. It dries out quickly and fits anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:54:49 PM EST
I like using 5 hour energy bottles for a lot of things. The fuel thing I might try. I rinse them, dry them and reuse them.

Salt and Pepper
Spices
Mouthwash
Shampoo (I don't wash my hair everyday when backpacking)
Lotions
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:59:11 PM EST
Use a label printer to make labels if you are sticking edibles and non edibles in like containers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:07:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/28/2018 1:07:52 PM EST by rodical]
Originally Posted By rfox:
I've been backpacking for several years now and am far from being some avid explorer but I found some simple tricks that have helped me out that I thought I'd share. Some may be weird

Liquid sweetener containers (1.68 fl oz) are perfect to fill with denatured alcohol for alcohol stoves. One container holds enough alcohol to bring 1 cup of water to a boil, two times. They are small enough to fit in any nook in your backpack and weigh just 13.5 grams.
They are re-usable and as long as you’re okay with burning plastic, they can be burnt up when they’re empty.

Old pill bottles are great for carrying fire starter items. Matches and strike strips fit in most. Fill one with cotton balls and soak them with baby oil and they will last for years. They are also ideal for coffee, sugar, non-dairy creamer

If you can get ahold of this, a ½” spacing wire mesh screen with 1/16” diameter wires makes a great portable grill. Cut it to around 12” x 12” and it should fit in the pocket that most backpacks have for a hydration bladder. To use it, simply place 2 large logs approximately 10” apart and rest it on top of them over some hot embers. Or use steel tent stakes as legs and rest it on top of them over the embers. To make storage cleaner get a bubble wrap shipping envelope that is large enough for it to fit inside of.

Speaking of:
Bubble Wrap Shipping Envelopes are great insulators while reconstituting freeze-dried meals – especially reflective mylar ones. Simply slide the meal packet into a bubble-wrap envelope to help keep the water hot longer. There’s nothing worse than waiting 10 minutes to open the meal packet to discover that the meal is now barely warm.

Water bottle measuring cup. At home get a plastic water bottle and a measuring cup. Fill the water bottle to the top then pour out water into the measuring cup until the measuring cup is holding ½ cup. Then mark the water line on your water bottle with a sharpie. Pour out another ½ cup and mark the water line again. Do this until the water bottle is empty. You now have a plastic water bottle with ½” cup measurements marked from the top down. Cover your sharpie lines with clear mylar tape so they can’t be rubbed away.

Some egg sellers put their eggs in rigid clear plastic containers, as opposed to the styrofoam or pressed paper containers. These plastic containers have locking tabs and can be cut down to hold any number of eggs. but they also hold other delicate items, like strawberries.

I like taking booze with me when I go backpacking but I don’t like drinking it warm. So I tried this and it worked. I poured my rum into a freezer bag and then double bagged it in case of leakage. That made it easier to fit in my backpack and didn’t require a bottle. I then got an ammonium nitrate ice pack and cut it open and removed the water packet from inside. I poured the ammonium nitrate into a sandwich bag and measured the water in the water packet. When I got to my camping site I measured out the water I needed and activated the ammonium nitrate. Then I placed that in the outer freezer bag and laid it on the ground with the booze on top of it. This trapped the ice pack between the booze and the ground. It cooled the rum and I enjoyed a nice cold drink. To make this work more effectively, place your booze in a stream for a few minutes so it gets pre-chilled. When the ice-pack thaws, just dump it out, it's just fertilizer.

Most mens swimsuits come with a small pocket on the inside of them. These pockets are typically made from a cloth mesh material with an overlapping opening, making it difficult for stuff to fall out of them. Cut the pocket out of an old pair of swim trunks and place a piece of a bar of soap in it. Use this to scrub your pots/pans/cups/silverware clean. The cloth material is usually pretty rough and the soap provides the lather. It dries out quickly and fits anywhere.
View Quote
Pill bottles, good idea... I have been knocking my brains out of what to use them for... Good ideas...

I use a flask which keeps the kool aid cool...
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:36:51 PM EST
The old 35mm film canisters used to be the best for small items. Unfortunately, film canisters are a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:21:04 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
The old 35mm film canisters used to be the best for small items. Unfortunately, film canisters are a thing of the past.
View Quote
Find someone who is diabetic and ask them for the containers that the test strips come in. The strips that I use for ketone testing come in little film canister sized containers, the glucose strips that came with the meter also came in the same canisters. I'm not sure if all meters test strips come this way though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:05:01 PM EST
Thanks. I like the Water bottle measuring cup idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:40:50 AM EST
I like to keep spices in plastic soda straws. Especially if I’m cooking just for myself.

Melt one end with a lighter, then pinch it to seal (yeah, don’t burn yourself.) Fill with whatever spice you like.
I fold a piece of paper in half, dump the spices in the crease, and uses that to pour in the spices.
Trim off the excess and melt and seal the other end. Label with a sharpie.

Just cut or bite one end open to use. Makes sprinkling pretty easy. Then reseal if needed.

Soda straws from McDonald’s are bigger in diameter than most generic ones.
Top Top