Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2009 7:47:59 AM EST
newbie question....just got echolink downloaded was wondering if there was a net for arfcomers?????
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:53:51 AM EST
I don't know if there is a specific node that we meet up on, but I do know that a bunch of us WA guys are on echolink. I just need to download the software again.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:04:10 AM EST
There was one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:20:48 PM EST
it would be awesome to get a node/net together. anyone else??
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:53:37 PM EST
There was a post recently about an ARFCOM echolink net going out of service due to lack of interest... Sorry I don't recall a node number or anything. I wish I would have known about it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:02:18 PM EST
That was my post. I ran an Echolink net for Arfcommers for about 2 years. I pulled the plug last month.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:25:05 PM EST
crap what happened??? no interest??????
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:15:52 PM EST
Hell yes... there is interest...

Just need someone who "knows something" to take the lead...

Then.. for the southeast... I'm all over it...

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:31:46 PM EST
I would be interested depending on when it is held.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:54:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/19/2009 8:28:26 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]
I run an IRLP/Echolink simplex node at the casa here. I would join in once in a while to listen in on whats up.

In many cases my internet connect sit's idle, maybe I'll figure out how to start a conference server and see if anyone uses it.

ETA: Nevermind, I can't since I already run the echo/irlp node. Apparently it wont let you have two connections from the same IP.

Just browsing the echolink conferences list, theres a bunch that are not being used.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:44:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/20/2009 5:45:46 AM EST by JaxShooter]
Originally Posted By Mndless:
Hell yes... there is interest...

Well, there was at one time. I have a list of 102 arfcommers that had access to my node. The last nets were lucky to have 1 or 2 people check in.

Sure hope that's not directed at me.

Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
Just browsing the echolink conferences list, theres a bunch that are not being used.

The problem with using an existing conference is that you have no control over it. OPSEC and all. It's better to have controlled access to keep interlopers from crashing the party.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:49:26 AM EST
Timing was always the issue for me being in the Pacific timezone versus the guys back east. I did get in a couple times and few things and had an enjoyable conversation. It's the same issue now with the HF Net, well time and distance since the sun isn't helping anyone out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:50:07 AM EST
i would be into it, I would like to hear from other who share my interest in guns, radio's...etc. I sometimes get tried of hearing about doctors appointments, diabetes and retirement lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:53:08 AM EST
What is involved in stting up a node?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:57:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By VRMN8R:
What is involved in stting up a node?

If you're connected to the Echolink server then you have a node setup. You just have to tell people which node to connect to. Of course I'd go further and setup a profile with restricted access. I required participants to contact me and give me their contact info including callsign. If your callsign wasn't on my access list you couldn't connect to my node.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:07:42 AM EST
I've never been on the ARFCOM echolink, but I've used echolink a few times. not much.
anyway,, if I connect to the "secured" node, threw local repeater, doesn't everyone around my area have the chance to listen/talk? or is it just computer to computer thing that you guys had??

in the past, I was on dial up and it was not good for echolink, now I have DSL much better, but the times were not good for me, working most of th time in evenings.
I would like to be active if it would fit into my scedule,, maybe a few nets a week diferant times??
anyway good luck with the project, again.
Mike
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:28:07 AM EST
Computer to computer. We blocked RF nodes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:42:06 PM EST

Sure hope that's not directed at me.

No, no... just not a good choice of words on my part...

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:47:55 PM EST
I was on Jax's echolink and at first it was fun and I looked for it every week. Then I missed a week here and there and then forgot about it. I got email messages reminding me but still had trouble getting on at the end.

One problem was that I would like to have a topic of interest that we could talk about. It got side tracked easy. Not all members were preparing for the same SHTF problems. Things that I was preparing for in Michigan did not apply to those in Florida.

To give Jax credit he tried to accomidate (sp?) all of us. If it was still on I would check in once in a while. As he said on Monday night I would check in and there would be no one or just 1 person checked in. At one time there could be 15+ checked in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:31:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/20/2009 1:32:45 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
Computer to computer. We blocked RF nodes.

Why would you block an RF node such as mine from connecting?

As a side note to the thread, an idea would simply be for someone to host the server on their dsl or cable connection and provide the node number and give those permission to connect who ask. I think, personally, requiring the conference to be used for "nets" and then dismantling it because the net times are not used is a bad idea. Just like some of us post here at 3pm, some of us post here at 3am. I think simply making suggestions for certain folks on the East vs West coast to meet at certain times is a good idea but to declare the conference a failure because people dont connect at 3pm is counterproductive.

As I already said, if the conference would not conflict with my RF node already online, I would do it last night.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:35:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By bobwrench:
One problem was that I would like to have a topic of interest that we could talk about. It got side tracked easy. Not all members were preparing for the same SHTF problems. Things that I was preparing for in Michigan did not apply to those in Florida.

I do believe this was a large contributor to the problem. Based on my experience running it for the past two years I think it would be more prudent to have regional nets. There was a major issue in trying to provide topics that were pertinent to everyone. Using this example I can't add much to snowstorm discussions and somebody in MI can't help much with hurricane preparedness. Sure there are areas that overlap but our AOs are different and what scenarios we'll face are as well.

To give Jax credit he tried to accomidate (sp?) all of us. If it was still on I would check in once in a while. As he said on Monday night I would check in and there would be no one or just 1 person checked in. At one time there could be 15+ checked in.

Thanks. I knew early on that I wouldn't be able to provide a topic for every net. In the beginning we met weekly. A number of people said they'd do talks on first aid, navigation, etc but only 1 person ever did. Unfortunately he had to move before he finished his multi-part discussion.

I think if you can do monthly regional nets and have folks that are willing to share their areas of expertise and that will actually do it you may be able to have successful go at it. Of course, even when we dropped the nets to bi-monthly and finally monthly it had no impact. Maybe we were too far gone at that point, though.

OPSEC. When we first started we were using an existing Echolink conference node. Let's say we were talking about bugout locations and Joe Ham jumped in. Not only was he not like minded but I think we scared a few people too. Look at the threads around here. People are concerned about GPS tracking, they want their faces blurred out in pictures, etc. If anyone can join and you have no idea who's out there or who's listening then people are going to be less inclined to be open.

I have guys out there that I wouldn't have met without the net and even though we don't talk much now I consider them friends. I feel confident I could call them up if necessary and ask for help. Or information. Having everything closed down so there's no RF transmissions going out to God knows where and only people we know/trust have access provides a much safer environment.

As a side note to the thread, an idea would simply be for someone to host the server on their dsl or cable connection and provide the node number and give those permission to connect who ask. I think, personally, requiring the conference to be used for "nets" and then dismantling it because the net times are not used is a bad idea. Just like some of us post here at 3pm, some of us post here at 3am. I think simply making suggestions for certain folks on the East vs West coast to meet at certain times is a good idea but to declare the conference a failure because people dont connect at 3pm is counterproductive.

Well, I guess you don't know anything about the net. The node was available 24x7 since 2006. This would've been our third year. So while you're certainly entitled to your opinion I feel I went above and beyond in trying to make the node available anytime somebody wanted to use it. I never pulled it out of the arfcom profile and often had to take heat from friends that they couldn't connect to me. I watched the logs and I can tell you that whether it was a regular net time or not people stopped connecting. That or I'd see them connect and they'd be gone before I could say something. We put it out several times to connect and stick around even if you're alone because somebody else may come along. We put together a Yahoo group to try and give folks a way to keep in touch. I think we did all that we could do.

If you think my pulling the net was such a bad idea and counterproductive than you're free to do something about it. However, I don't think you have any place to say those things when you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 8:52:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/21/2009 8:55:03 AM EST by r-2-k-b-a]

OPSEC. When we first started we were using an existing Echolink conference node. Let's say we were talking about bugout locations and Joe Ham jumped in. Not only was he not like minded but I think we scared a few people too. Look at the threads around here. People are concerned about GPS tracking, they want their faces blurred out in pictures, etc. If anyone can join and you have no idea who's out there or who's listening then people are going to be less inclined to be open.

I have guys out there that I wouldn't have met without the net and even though we don't talk much now I consider them friends. I feel confident I could call them up if necessary and ask for help. Or information. Having everything closed down so there's no RF transmissions going out to God knows where and only people we know/trust have access provides a much safer environment.

That does make sense. An RF node in NYC vs a RF node in Central Texas would receive a different reaction for sure. This place is full of Tin hat wearing "government is going to get me" screwballs for sure. I think if the chatter is kept legal then people should mind their own affairs.

Well, I guess you don't know anything about the net. The node was available 24x7 since 2006. This would've been our third year. So while you're certainly entitled to your opinion I feel I went above and beyond in trying to make the node available anytime somebody wanted to use it. I never pulled it out of the arfcom profile and often had to take heat from friends that they couldn't connect to me. I watched the logs and I can tell you that whether it was a regular net time or not people stopped connecting. That or I'd see them connect and they'd be gone before I could say something. We put it out several times to connect and stick around even if you're alone because somebody else may come along. We put together a Yahoo group to try and give folks a way to keep in touch. I think we did all that we could do.

If you think my pulling the net was such a bad idea and counterproductive than you're free to do something about it. However, I don't think you have any place to say those things when you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Woah back up a bit. Your right, how could I have joined the net since it's gone? Your own admission of the conference being dismantled was due to inactivity in part from what i remember reading. Since I pointed out a fact you stated, I dont think you have any business throwing me any Hells' over the internet. There was no malice intended.Jeesh. Relax, I wasn't questioning your service to the ARF dot COM participants.

As I already stated, if I did not have a node already in operation, I would do something about it.

And ANYWAY, I'm sure someone has a server available for folks to connect to if it's needed. I think I observed 40 conferences with zero connections in the list last night.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 9:45:47 AM EST
There's a group of arfcommers that still meet from time to time. I only get on about once a week now with the job hunt and other things going on. But there are arfcommers on.

You could always post in the QSO thread and say you are on.....or start a separate Echolink QSO thread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 10:32:35 AM EST
Woah back up a bit. Your right, how could I have joined the net since it's gone? Your own admission of the conference being dismantled was due to inactivity in part from what i remember reading. Since I pointed out a fact you stated, I dont think you have any business throwing me any Hells' over the internet. There was no malice intended.Jeesh. Relax, I wasn't questioning your service to the ARF dot COM participants.

Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to the matter. I poured a lot of time and energy into trying to make it work including giving up time with my family. People can jump on the bandwagon and say how great it would be to do something or have something available but it's much harder to get people to actually lend a hand in bringing it to fruition or keeping it going. I'm sorry if I take the demise of our net a little too personally.

And ANYWAY, I'm sure someone has a server available for folks to connect to if it's needed. I think I observed 40 conferences with zero connections in the list last night.

Yes, I'm sure there are. But I'll go back to what I've already said about this. You have no control over who joins those conferences and I'd be willing to bet you'd get few people here to talk about SF-related topics in that type of environment. If you just want to shoot the breeze that's fine.

If anyone tries to kick this off again, more power to ya. Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/21/2009 7:14:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/21/2009 7:18:00 PM EST by r-2-k-b-a]

Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive to the matter. I poured a lot of time and energy into trying to make it work including giving up time with my family. People can jump on the bandwagon and say how great it would be to do something or have something available but it's much harder to get people to actually lend a hand in bringing it to fruition or keeping it going. I'm sorry if I take the demise of our net a little too personally.

Yes, I'm sure there are. But I'll go back to what I've already said about this. You have no control over who joins those conferences and I'd be willing to bet you'd get few people here to talk about SF-related topics in that type of environment. If you just want to shoot the breeze that's fine.

If anyone tries to kick this off again, more power to ya. Good luck.

No harm done. I know a bit about pouring my own time and cash into ham radio with no support. My simplex echo/irlp link wasn't cheap, and nobody sends me any cash to help me pay the electric bill either.

I'm sure someone will set something up like you did at some point and give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:40:05 AM EST
I like the regional idea from Jax, but the question I guess is how many guys have any time to spend at it? I would be interested in helping out someway
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:56:23 PM EST
Just curious if anyone knows how to set up an echolink conference? I see a bunch of them listed and have connected to a few. Has there ever been an ARFCOM conference? Unless I'm missing something I don't see anywhere in the help files or faq about setting up a conference.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:00:52 PM EST
Nevermind. I did some more poking around. You can get the software here. Has anyone tried this? Looks complicated, I will have to save and read more later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:58:10 PM EST
Just wanted put my .02cents in here. Jaxshooter did an outstanding job of coordinating the ecohlink afrcom net. He did it all without any compensation or gratitude. We had many a good nights when things went well, and always welcomed new members to join in.

Computers go wacky and people loose interest. Some nights were a real bore but we did have some fun and communicated across the country.

My thanks to Jaxshooter for an outstanding effort

I wish those who pursue this plenty of good luck and hope they may succeed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:27:43 PM EST
I think a net would be really cool! Echo is simple, anyone can use it off a computer. To setup a node is easy, I use an older laptop via a wireless card & a Kenwood TMV71A & Kenwood interface cable. A cheaper route would be an older Maxtrac with Echolink interface $150-200.00. Or a Yaesu FT2800 with interface about $200-250.00.

Allows me to run around the house with an ht. The Kenwood route is plug & play for the most part. A maxtrac requires some wiring & programming software but will give a higher duty cycle. The 2800 is plug & play.
There are plenty of conferences that are not used or used very little.

If we find a conferance we could do it at 6-9 EST anyday.
Say we have 8 people if someone has high speed with a newer computer we could connect to that person & eliminate a conferance.

Many repeaters use Echo to link together.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:37:40 PM EST
Thanks for the kind words Capt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:16:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By CaptSchofield:
Just wanted put my .02cents in here. Jaxshooter did an outstanding job of coordinating the ecohlink afrcom net. He did it all without any compensation or gratitude. We had many a good nights when things went well, and always welcomed new members to join in.

Computers go wacky and people loose interest. Some nights were a real bore but we did have some fun and communicated across the country.

My thanks to Jaxshooter for an outstanding effort

I wish those who pursue this plenty of good luck and hope they may succeed.

+ 1 million

Thanks to his Echolink net I met people I consider to be friends and had many fine conversations.
Top Top