Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2010 1:56:31 PM EDT
This was my 3rd elk ever. Shot a bull in the same unit last year.

First night I missed a cow at 666yards on a mountainside opposite of the mountain I was on top of.

Next morning have a herd running at 300 yards I take off running then I get tired and start to walk and the last 2 elk of the heard pop out less than 100 yards in fron of me. I throw the rifle up and fire. she bucks and runs out of view and dies less than 20 yards from where i shot her before 7:20 this morning.

Oh yeah.... I used a Browning BAR Short Trac in .270 wsm with a Leupold scope and used a 150 Gr. Nosler Partition.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fantastic! Great firearm setup also.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My opinion only....shooting Elk (or any game for that matter) at 666 yards is a poor choice. Most people couldn't hit what they were aiming at with perfect conditions on a range, much less hunting and getting a good clean hit in any intended area at that distance. But for the sake of argument, let's just say a hunter was an accomplished sniper, rifle shooter, biathlete, etc........and conditions were perfect.....it's a shot that should only be taken by a small select group.  Bullet ballistics at that range are an additional argument in itself.   If you are one of those top shooters, then good on you!!!!  Congrats on getting meat for the table.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I totaly agree. The equipment i was using gave me false confidence. The Gun, scope, and bullet were capable of the shot, i was the weak link.

I had been making shots out to 600 yards and closer leading up to my hunt tho. My dad had to shoot his elk in October at 500 yards so i was trying to prepare incase i was in a similar situation. obviously my preps failed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#4]
al the retards on "best of the west" shoot elk at 800+ yds all the time. Why can't we all do it?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
al the retards on "best of the west" shoot elk at 800+ yds all the time. Why can't we all do it?

Not sure what your point is...
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Great work Luke Duke!

I had 7W bull last year, and half of that hunting party was out for cows in 7W this year.

We saw no bulls during the 2009 hunt, and only one cow.

Last I heard, our friends did not have any luck this year.

7W can be tough to find elk when the weather is spotty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top