Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 5:26:09 PM EDT
Noticed a lot of guys calling "CQ Contest" (Ukraine on 7.136 right now, for example) and I'd like to return, but they are exchanging serialized numbers. I don't have any SNs, since I'm not participating in any contests at the moment, just DXing. I would have no intention of doing anything with the contact except logging them at QRZ and at LoTW.

Is it wasting their contest time/energy to work them while they're contesting?

ETA: Sorry about the Chevy commercial over there...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You can work them no problem.  Like you already seem to have done, just see what the exchange is and start with 1 in this case.  Have fun, you still count in their log.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can't give them a contact that they can use for points in the contest, then yes, it is probably wasting their contest time/energy.

You could so some quick research to see what is entailed by participating in the contest, and if you're eligible to work them by sending them the proper exchange of information, you will be both helping them and also putting a new one in your own log.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no special serial numbers for most contests.  Your first contact is 001, second is 002, etc.  They are looking to make as many contacts as possible, so a QSO with you would benefit them, not waste their time, even if you're not going to turn in a log for the contest.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I haven't tried to talk with the guy yet. I did hear one QSO where the other end told him they weren't working the contest and he cheerfully said 'OK, thanks' and moved on. I'll see if I can figure out what they're doing. I heard Italy pretty strong and they too were contesting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually look here to figure out what contest they're doing and what the exchange is.

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the link! Found out it is the UBA Contest.

QSOs w/Ukraine, Italy and Croatia.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top