Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2009 4:27:53 AM EDT
Well I was working on some testing that had to be finished by 4 pm yesterday and was totally concentrating on that.  Got it finished and realized I was almost out of gas. First station I came to was almost out of all but premium and had a line like you wouldnt belive (Panic buying in fave of 4-6 inch of snow and ice coming our way) Made it the next small town down the road and plenty of gas. Im on call this weekend so that was really stupid especially knowing how people here react to snow. made another observation....BFG Rugged Trail TA are not a great snow tire.....They did OK but When they wear out think there will somthing different put on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Things like this storm should have everyone on our forum here wound up and ready to try the preps!

I too have a hard time with not letting the fuel tank get low on the car. I explained the whole half-tank thing to my wife, and I must admit, she liked the concept, and is considerably better at it then I am!

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well I was working on some testing that had to be finished by 4 pm yesterday and was totally concentrating on that.  Got it finished and realized I was almost out of gas. First station I came to was almost out of all but premium and had a line like you wouldnt belive (Panic buying in fave of 4-6 inch of snow and ice coming our way) Made it the next small town down the road and plenty of gas. Im on call this weekend so that was really stupid especially knowing how people here react to snow. made another observation....BFG Rugged Trail TA are not a great snow tire.....They did OK but When they wear out think there will somthing different put on.

Good reminder about keeping your tank full.

When you get new tires, try to get something that has decent sipes in it. Those are the little slits that help the tire flex and grip. The BFG TA KO's don't have a lot, but they do seem to be pretty good in the snow. You could even consider getting those tires siped to help with traction so you don't have to wait until you wear them out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I had BFG Rugged Trail stock on my 2006 Tacoma. They were adequate when new, but went downhill fast with a little wear.
I've used the BFG All Terrain KO since and they've help up good.
I'm getting my 1968 3/4 chev pickup up and running. It will be wearing straight M&S aggressive tires.
It's just my firewood/hunting truck though.
M
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Easy to let the gas gauge get low... then a  weather advisory or other news and suddenly no gas available.  We normally carry an extra 5 gallon can.  Remember to rotate that fuel regularly.

I use Bridgestone Revo tires, but the Revo 2s look pretty good too (if not better).

Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2

Bridgestone Dueler Revo

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Living only 3 miles from work, I'm guilty of frequently riding near 'E.'  Gonna have to change my habits when I move, since I'll be 20 miles from work and out in a remote area.

Fortunately, I took off Friday to renew my CHP (has it really been 5 years already?), so I filled up before the crowds hit.

Of course, darn modern gas gauges are inaccurate as heck.

Last 2 trucks (Chevy S-10, GMC Canyon), 1/2 really means 1/4 or less.

You would think that with all of the electronics on these things, an accurate gas gauge would not be so rare.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Michelin LTX II have been good in Colorado for me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Good lesson. I try to live by the idea that 1/2 tank = "E" and fill up at that point.

Been trying to preach this to my daughters but yesterday I had to use my Ford Ranger (which is what one of them drives all the time) to pick up some brake pads for my Expedition while it was up on jacks and the guage was nearly pegged out on E
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
We have three "bigger" trucks/SUV's, and all of them have big fuel tanks.  When gas was over $3/gal it was a PITA to try to fill up if there was less than a quarter of a tank of fuel left, as the gas pump would shut off at $75.  If you wanted to top off the tank you had to run your card twice - or in the case of the Suburban running on fumes, three times.  So, I got into the habit then of filling up at half a tank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top