Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/28/2014 2:56:15 AM EST
hey whats up everyone. i am looking for a new set of knives for skinning and gutting. i came across a really nice set from knives of alaska. its the light hunter combo. i also spoke to my dad and he told he wants to get the swingblaze from outdoor edge. everything i read about both knives are amazing. any suggestions on which of the two or something different? i am open to suggestions.

Oscar
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:07:38 AM EST
Cabelas Alaskan guide series made by buck for cabelas. Made of s30v steel stays sharp for a long time and easy to resharpen. Mine has been awsome. I have skinned two deer and it's still razor sharp. Can be had for around $100.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:45:11 AM EST
Outdoor Edge Swingblade or SwingBlaze work great. So do a $10-$15 Mora and an Opinel No8 folder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:28:45 PM EST
Knives of Alaska makes some really good heavy knives. If you want to get some knives and not spend as much the Mora knives are a great value and made from good steel that will sharpen quickly. If you decide to buy a knife made from D2 like a lot of Knives of Alaska are then spend the money and get you some diamond sharpening stones otherwise your going to take a lot of time to sharpen a blade on a regular stone.

I have two Moras that I like and I can sharpen both in a few minutes. Really only need one for a skinning and cutting knife but if I hit something unexpected I can grab the other one and use. Both of the Moras were less than $40 shipped. If you look around you can probably find them for that or a little less for the stainless models.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:31:00 PM EST
I really like my knives of Alaska. Orange handle too, so you can't lose it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:37:21 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wild_Texas:
Knives of Alaska makes some really good heavy knives. If you want to get some knives and not spend as much the Mora knives are a great value and made from good steel that will sharpen quickly. If you decide to buy a knife made from D2 like a lot of Knives of Alaska are then spend the money and get you some diamond sharpening stones otherwise your going to take a lot of time to sharpen a blade on a regular stone.

I have two Moras that I like and I can sharpen both in a few minutes. Really only need one for a skinning and cutting knife but if I hit something unexpected I can grab the other one and use. Both of the Moras were less than $40 shipped. If you look around you can probably find them for that or a little less for the stainless models.
View Quote

good info here. thanks for the heads up on sharpening D2.
also which Moras knives are preference for my application?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:03:57 AM EST
For skinning and field dressing look into havalon knives. They use a replaceable blade system so you always have a scalpel sharp blade. The blades aren't stout and you will need other knives for processing the meat, but for under $40 bucks they rock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:01:44 PM EST
man so many choices to choose from. the knives of alaska are beautiful. havalon, super practical. swingblaze another practical knife. LOL too hard to pick
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:41:19 AM EST
I like syn handle Mora's w/ Carbon blade. Stainless are good also and require less care. Get one of each on same order to cut down on shipping. Probably cost $30 shipped total.
If for deer hunting they make w/ orange handle and sheath. Easy to find on the ground. I do not belt carry w/ the provided sheath, I put it in a pack or bucket.
Enjoy
Top Top