Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/6/2009 9:16:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2009 9:18:49 AM EST by Pav56C]
Ok, the recent post from Marine has shown us that we do have a few guys here that are young. Im talking like 23 and younger, college aged.

I am curious as to how we all got into the prepping mindset given all the cultural norms which tell us not to.

So if your a youngin that posts here, go a head and introduce yourself and tell use howy you got into it. After all, we are the future.

Myself-

I am a 20 year old college student.

First generation prepper (parents dont)

I grew up with guns, and was always a big enthusiast. I remeber watching 2 movies at a young age which impressed the mindest on me: Tremors (I was intrigued by the crazy survivalist character Burt, the guy with all the guns in his basement), and Red Dawn (always made me think I should be ready just in case, to live off the land or whatever).

Going into the LE field I wanted to buy an AR, which led me here. I have always beem into guns and ammo, and my dad and I have been collecting both for a while. Its not until I got on board here that I expanded to food, water, yatta yatta yatta. My dad still doenst prepp other than guns/ammo, trying to fix that.

Another thing that spurred me was when I entered Emergency Services. Once I got an idea of how everything worked, I realized that in the event of a large emergency, you are on your own.

ETA: I have always kept up to date with major news, so 9-11, the NY Blackout, Katrina, all had an impact.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:53:29 AM EST

there is even younger here

3rd generation prepper. my dad used to be on arf so i ended up here as well.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:29:59 PM EST
Maybe too old to be a youngin anymore, 28 here, 1 gen prepper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:59:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By friskydingo:

You can tell us, don't worry we don't bite too much.

1st gen prepper here. I'm 19 and am living at home for this first semester of my sophomore year at college. My parents aren't anti-gun but they don't own guns or see the need for self defense. A week after I turned 18 I went to a local gun store and bought a 10/22 and starting shooting with my friend. I wanted to learn all I could about guns so I went online and starting posting on some forums. I heard some about prepping and BOB's and BOV's and all that great stuff. I learned what I could and eventually was lead here. I lurked around for a while and finally signed myself up. Since then I've starting preparing myself for my most likely SHTF's and trying to get my parents on board with at least keeping a little extra around. [As well as the concept of self defense, I was home alone until a few minutes ago when my father came home and wanted to know why I was sitting on the couch with a shotgun leaning up against it. ]
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:10:15 PM EST
Im not a youngin anymore, But I can tell you im a 1st gen prepper. I started because I grew up in hurricane ally in south florida. I stuck out andrew, and it impressed on me the need to throw a little aside just in case. I admit though that Ive just started taking it serious as far as long term storage.....which is what led me here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:17:14 PM EST
I am 23 but I don't consider myself young. I have found out that I am nothing like most people my age. As far as why I prep I guess it is because I was raised in the country, was in boy scouts, and like being alive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 6:32:45 PM EST
Scout as a kid. In the Navy we did some humanitarian work and it set in motion to be prepared. And when you have three kids that makes it even more important!
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:11:45 PM EST
39 years old. No longer a youngin.... but not quite an old fart yet either.

Learned to pass more in soccer because I can't run as much as I used to. A slightly older man once told me "never get in a fight with an older man - since he won't have the stamina to go toe to toe with you, he'll just kill you quickly and be done with it" At the time I was appalled - now I'm beginning to see the wisdom.... be wary of the dog who barks because he may bite... but be afraid of the dog who doesn't bark at all...he WILL bite.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:22:43 PM EST
20 year old college student here.

Came here after I bought my AK 47 looking for tips on refinishing it.

Found the SF and something clicked. Have way more money invested in preps than I ever thought I would. (still have a lot of work to do but can only do so much living in the dorms)

My family thinks I'm half crazy, but they all say they will come running to me when SHTF, guess its a slow process to bring them around.

This Christmas everyone is getting a backpack with some basics to start a GHB for their cars.

My younger brother thinks all the gear and preps I have are cool and I try to teach him as much as I can.
As most 15 year olds would, he is more interested in the big knives and guns than the food water and shelter... but arn't we all?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 9:38:54 PM EST
28 1st gen prepper. Started prepping in march when I joined the site and found the SF.

Yes, this forum was an eye opener and is the reason I started prepping. In other words thank you all
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:41:09 PM EST
26 here. 1st gen prepper, 1st gen gun owner. But over the years I've managed to propagate both of those back to my parents - so does that suddenly bump me to 2nd gen, or are my parents now 1st gen?

I got my mom to start stocking & rotating which she thinks is unnecessary, but she loves baking bread and making cheese, buttermilk, yogurt, etc.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't interested in being prepared for everything, so it was a natural progression to start prepping.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:41:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2009 10:41:57 PM EST by phurba]
*sets switch back to semi*
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 11:09:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2009 11:17:52 PM EST by jmurdock]
I''m 23. Senior in college, done in Dec. (Marketing, no jobs i know) 1st gen preper, 3rd generation gun owner. i don't know why i prep i just have a need and want to. plus i like to build random crap like hobo stoves, and gasifiers and stuff like that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:11:16 AM EST
2nd generation prepper and didnt even realize it until just a few years ago...1st generation was my mother! Living in the country on a small (non-commercial) farm thats just a way of life. Power outages every winter, have to ride smowmobiles or walk to the store if supplies were needed, my mom always canning food, freezers in the shop full, small garden (just enough for our family of four), etc etc. She claims i have had the "prepper" in me since I had my first SAK at around 10 years old. She says I always had my backpack with my camping gear in it and as kids we'd be gone from sun up to sun down hiking the hills behind our property. That was almost 25 years ago...time flies. So i guess I would credit my mom for the way my family lives today...she handled the preps back then while my dad worked the cows, pigs, etc and worked a "normal city job" as well. And now...i get to pass what they have taught me down to my boys.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:58:20 AM EST
just under 30, 1st gen prepper. As an Eagle scout I want to be prepared for ANYTHING. That includes layoff, retirement, SHTF and so on.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:22:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Darkninja:
Originally Posted By friskydingo:

You can tell us, don't worry we don't bite too much.

1st gen prepper here. I'm 19 and am living at home for this first semester of my sophomore year at college. My parents aren't anti-gun but they don't own guns or see the need for self defense. A week after I turned 18 I went to a local gun store and bought a 10/22 and starting shooting with my friend. I wanted to learn all I could about guns so I went online and starting posting on some forums. I heard some about prepping and BOB's and BOV's and all that great stuff. I learned what I could and eventually was lead here. I lurked around for a while and finally signed myself up. Since then I've starting preparing myself for my most likely SHTF's and trying to get my parents on board with at least keeping a little extra around. [As well as the concept of self defense, I was home alone until a few minutes ago when my father came home and wanted to know why I was sitting on the couch with a shotgun leaning up against it. ]

I would d say guns are pretty prominent in my family, my grandpa had a whole room dedicated to gun storage with full safes/wall racks.

my grandpa prepped by my dad is even more into it, and I of course get to help him.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:46:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2009 6:49:12 AM EST by el_quattro]
25 years old 7 years in the USMC, 1st gen prepper, though my parents have always kept some extra around, and seem to be collecting more as the situation requires. They're more the bug-in types. Come from a long line of gun owners, of course if anyone looks back more than 3 generations they'll find that they do too. Anyway, started frequenting the forum for info on building my own AR, and ended up here. I've been living in a barracks in okinawa for the last couple of years and now I'm just getting started into prepping (it wasn't a priority on an island where I wasn't allowed to be out alone overnight). I'm back stateside and married, so now prepping is more practical and meaningful. Luckily the wife is very on board, granted I don't talk about zombie invasions, but she's all about having extra food around, firearms (waiting on her CCW to come in the mail), extra ammo, subsistence gardening, and she's even supportive of having a BOL. Though I sold her on the idea mostly as family camping/hunting land, but she knows that its more. Now to find some good land for cheap, thinking western Montana or northern UT.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 7:12:14 AM EST
23 here also. First gen gun owner/prep mindset. Have always had kind of a GHB, but never realized that that was what it was till I started reading these forums. It has since been refined. Right now I am trying to concentrate mostly on getting out of debt, while putting some money/food/water aside as I can. I have a long way to go though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 12:11:19 PM EST
25... 3rd gen gun owner/hunter... prepping skipped a generation for me... my parents do have horses and chickens and always have a full pantry but do it because they live in the country and you have to drive a long way to get to the stores... but they dont really prep other wise... both sets of grand parents were heavy preppers with basements filled to the tilt.

I am slowly but surely getting there... just got a house of the "beaten path" with 10.5 acres... always have 2 months of food in the pantry... have as many guns as my wife will let me keep, and as much ammo as she will allow me to buy (which is more then I will ever need if SHTF)

I am currently focusing on getting out of debt... putting a hold on all gear related items and working as much OT as i can, and paying off all my stupid college and toys debt...

ETA 1 year to be debt free.... (not including mortgage and student loans)
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:15:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2009 3:16:17 PM EST by Argon3]
49 1st gen prepper
Wife NOT on board
2-3 months food
Water can be purified and have containers but no close supply
A little prep time 1 hour (Where I am a tornado would be rough)n and water would be OK
Sister is semi on board put not close 3 hours away

You only as old as you act in bed with your wife
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:59:08 PM EST
23, just finished college and just enlisted in the Marines. Since I leave in December my focus right now has been on learning skills, helping in the garden, bake bread, making cheese, home made wine. I got into the mindset when I was in the boy scouts and then got really back into it in college when I spent half a year training with the local volunteer search and rescue team, found ARFCOM and the SF soon after.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:11:51 PM EST
22, DOn't know how many gen's old gun owner/prepper. Started getting interested in it when I learned that my grandfather could literally cut his breaker and be completely off the grid in the middle of the suburbs for 6+ months with no problems what so ever. He has solar panels, small wind generator, multiple security cameras, build his own safe room in the basement, has batteries upon batteries stored and ready to go, walls of canned food (self-canned BTW) and water...ect...ect... It just fascinated me and I wanted to get ready as well.

Couldn't really do that until recently though, and just getting back into a position where I can have firearms safely in the house again (wife=bipolar). Getting 2 BOB's together at the same time (one for me, one for wife) but that's a slow process as well. Heck, just finished up a very basic FAK/ERK (Emergency Roadside Kit) for the car. Heck, i'm looking for another TDY so I can take the cash from it and apply it to the BOB's or Debt... Whichever i'm closer to finishing at the time ya know. And this is of course all dependant upon how long it's gonna be before the USAF tells me to move again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:38:56 PM EST
22 years old 1st gen prepper

Got into it because I am paranoid and crazy according to all my family members

No I have been into guns, camping, post-apocalyptic type settings since I was wayyyyy young about 6
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:59:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By OKshooterHRS:

Got into it because I am paranoid and crazy according to all my family members

Good answer!

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:05:32 AM EST
My daughter is 11, and the youngest prepper I know

She got the preparedness "bug" from me, and I got it from my Father. He is a police chief and a county disaster coordinator with FEMA. After hearing for years about the fun and frolic involved with working with FEMA, you can bet your ass that I don't want to have to wait around for them in an emergency.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:22:28 PM EST
College aged prepper.

I guess I got the bug from my parents, They both grew up on small farms WAY out in the boonies. My moms family only got to go to town once per month. So even after moving to the city my parents still shopped like they didnt get to go to the store for a couple weeks and I guess it just rubbed off.

And on a side note, I just got my girlfriend on board recently.

anything more would be too much. OPSEC
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:43:31 PM EST
23yo college student. Very antigun family, mildly prepared but I wouldn’t call them preppers. I guess my youthful rebellion was liking guns much to my family's disgust. Guns led me to arfcom. I found the SF one day and something just clicked. I've been a prepper ever since. Working part time with campus pd has reinforced the need to fend for myself in an emergency.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:43:44 PM EST
This is good news for us prime-of-life survival-minded cougars.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:06:28 PM EST

Oooohh... Its a lady!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:06:39 PM EST
19 here, I mostly lurk the forum here and pick up a thing or two, Its kind of hard to buy things when your in college and broke.

But thats not gonna stop me from my AR upper coming soon.

Immediate family is anti-gun, but i decided to expand my horizons by picking my first lower up a few months ago.

I've always been into survival stuff even as a kid, I hope to learn and get some experiances under my belt first and foremost.

My ulitimate goal is to build my own cabin on a BOL.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:41:45 PM EST
I am a freshman in highschool ripe old age of 15.I'm a boyscout and love watching red dawn.I started prepping right before katrina.My family lives less than 25 miles from the gulf coast of mississippi.
I am also involved in the local county 4h shooting sports.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:03:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2009 6:04:06 PM EST by Darkninja]
Originally Posted By Sarah:
This is good news for us prime-of-life survival-minded cougars.

You need to move to the east coast. View is much better over here.

Originally Posted By Tyler259:
pick up a thing or two, Its kind of hard to buy things when your in college and broke.

My ulitimate goal is to build my own cabin on a BOL.

+1 one on both of those.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:21:10 AM EST
Well not a youngin, but at 38 I feel young, and my outdoor lifestyle helps me stay that way.

My family is one generation off the farm. And wether they realize it or not, farming is prepping. Farmers have always been an independant type of person and most would rather do it themselves then let someone do it for them, so I learned early what that meant.

Add into that a youth spent hunting, trapping, camping, hiking, and in Boy Scouts, Explorers, and generally spending more time outside then in, I always knew the value of being prepared. You throw in a few books, "My Side of the Mountain", "The Tracker", and "Deathlands" (still read that series just for the pure mind numbing value" And you have an adult prepper of epic proportions.

Even went to college to get a degree in Outdoor Recreation. Yup a "camping degree" But I have traveled all over the US and hunted, fished, camped and survived form Maine to Florida, and even got my trip to Alaska in last summer.

Guess I will be 80 years old, and taking my grandchildren on "survivor weekends" and teaching them how to make hobo stoves out of the #10 cans just like I did over 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:53:55 AM EST
25 years old. First gen prepper. My story will probably warrant some flames... oh well.

It was my fascination with zombies... the zombie novels soon turned to SHTF novels which led me to the realization how terribly unprepared I was in the real world. This lit the spark

Once 'big-brother BHO' got elected that spark turned to a raging forest fire. Now im racing against time to be ready when inflation hits. These forums only make my obsession worse
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:31:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By mwieczorek43:
25 years old. First gen prepper. My story will probably warrant some flames... oh well.

It was my fascination with zombies... the zombie novels soon turned to SHTF novels which led me to the realization how terribly unprepared I was in the real world. This lit the spark

Once 'big-brother BHO' got elected that spark turned to a raging forest fire. Now im racing against time to be ready when inflation hits. These forums only make my obsession worse

Don't worry. We're all really zombie fanatics. The worst part about the Zombie Apocalypse is pretending you aren't excited.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:48:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2009 10:52:03 AM EST by dawgm]
you just called me old 24. 1st gen. prepper sort of. My grandmother always stocked up on stuff; I think it had to do with ww2 rationing. Other than that, I can see the writing on the wall for our fiat monetary system. Monopoly money+ huge federal deficits+ unfunded entitlement programs= inevitable collapse.

ETA: i have also always loved survival novels and shows; lord of the flies, the mysterious island, hatchet, survivor man, ect.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:08:09 AM EST
Thought this wasn't to shabby and shouldn't have died.

Gen 2 prepper (skipped a gen...)

Hi all name is Scott (21 since july)

I learned what I could from my grandpa (aerospace engineer) who loved camping, and always made an attempt to take me and always prepped for survival I am for grateful to have known him as he was my favorite person Ive ever met. I wound up buying my first gun for myself when I turned 18 (ak - wasr) and as of the last year I have begun to love the prep and cant get enough... need another job I guess...

Anyway Im glad this is here and that yall take the time to make informative posts with tons of humor and neat things to find. I have been a long time Arfcom lurker (since around 16-17ish) just started posting a few months ago....

any way hi all
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:15:58 AM EST
26 year old prepper. The bug bit me years ago after I read My Side of the Mountain/On the Far Side of the Mountain when I was about 10. From then on, it was Sportman's Guide catalogs, Shotgun News, and Backwoods Home when I could get to a bookstore to read them. I didn't really have much of a chance to get started until I got through grad school and got a real job last year though, and the recent political and economic climate have really brought everything home for me.

Then I read an (unnamed survival story that has caught quite a bit of possibly deserved flack in the fiction forum), found survivalblog, and finally this forum. We've gotten weapons well underway, started with basic foodstorage (graduating to real wheat/rice/beans + buckets ASAP), (mostly failing at) getting back in good shape (thus far), and all the other minor details that will make or break you. My wife thinks I'm a little whacky, and she gets a little irritated with how some of my projects get out of hand (a prime example being my "inexpensive" foray into the tokarev cartridge –– which was the only way we could ever get 10k+ in ammo in a caliber we could shoot out of rifles and pistols laid in on our budget at a speed that satisfied me), but all in all, I think that this has really been good for our relationship. She gets a Lexus, we get a pair of AR-15's. We remodel our bathroom, we put 1000 lbs of bulk food storage up. Ah the joys of married life...
Top Top