Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2011 9:36:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 9:37:02 AM EST by urbanredneck]
So look at Japan. Roads destroyed. Infrastructure destroyed. Radiation is a-coming. Time to go and you have to bug out on foot. Like it or not you can't take it all which means you are going to have to load up what you can carry and that isn't your 20 or so ak's, ar's and shotguns....it isn't the 3 months worth of food that you have stored and it isn't the 8k rounds of ammo you have ordered over the years for this day.

It's a primary, secondary, whatever ammo/mags you can carry and a backpack. Oh and too bad, your collection is going to be irradiated when you get back.

I thought about that when I read Lights Out. The brother and his kids bugging out with children and a red rider wagon, trying to make it using the RR tracks. Can't carry very much like that, especially ammo. Ammo gets heavy real fast. I could personnaly face this decision one day living in southern FL with the hurricanes that inevitably hit this part of the country.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:43:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 9:44:03 AM EST by die-tryin]
Yip..that is why having CACHE around the country is vital along with "hold-up points" A plan also helps. Eggs in one basket and all that.

If I have to abandon my belongings in a true SHTF scenerio, there wont be anything left for the looters, etc. Same with my BOV. If it becomes an issue where ive got to leave it and never coming back, its 5 gal open gas can, a rag and a flare. If I cant have it , no one will. lol.

Im sure ya'll would luv to see me do that to my BOV. LOL..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:47:45 AM EST
cache goods with family and trusted friends outside your immediate area. Crated if necessary. Build a network of like-minded folk, all storing a common market-basket of goods, such that any members forced to displace will find suitable supplies elsewhere. Independent if neessary, multiply-redundant in any other situation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:58:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By die-tryin:
If it becomes an issue where ive got to leave it and never coming back, its 5 gal open gas can, a rag and a flare. If I cant have it , no one will. lol.

Can you honestly say you'd do that in a situation similar to Japan? If you're never coming back, those items could mean the difference between life and death for another person/family in need. Why ruin their chances of survival all on a selfish notion?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:01:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By RichR:
cache goods with family and trusted friends outside your immediate area. Crated if necessary. Build a network of like-minded folk, all storing a common market-basket of goods, such that any members forced to displace will find suitable supplies elsewhere. Independent if neessary, multiply-redundant in any other situation.

thats what I would like to do...but I am having alot of difficulties doing this...

I just moved to a new state and area that I don't know anyone.....we don't even have a home town forum for NC on ARFCOM...so it looks like it's just "us" against them...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:01:55 AM EST
Take what I need for the next 30 days and hit the road to pre-planned BOL sites with friends out of state. So It's cache time then, yeah, I don't believe supplies will be totally irradiated. 3ft of earth will protect it especially if it's properly cached.

So yeah, I'll cache it then come back for it when the dust settles... pun intended.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:02:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 10:03:34 AM EST by die-tryin]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
If it becomes an issue where ive got to leave it and never coming back, its 5 gal open gas can, a rag and a flare. If I cant have it , no one will. lol.

Can you honestly say you'd do that in a situation similar to Japan? If you're never coming back, those items could mean the difference between life and death for another person/family in need. Why ruin their chances of survival all on a selfish notion?

Would you leave weapons, mags & ammo behind for ANYONE to find, whether they are good or bad? Would sux to get shot with your own stash.

In all reality. I would probably cache my own supplies incase I would need to come back for some reason.

you guys take all the fun out of this.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:10:37 AM EST
Too many people take the lazy way out and depend solely on the half ton of preps in the garage. If that goes up in smoke then they are royally fucked.

There are plenty of unconventional places to acquire anything one would need, you just have to know where and how to look for it. Thinking outside the box is what can will keep you alive regardless of what you have to work with. Things very rarely work out the way you plan, so don't rely on only one plan.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:09:09 AM EST
A good reason to have multiple duplicate bags in multiple places if you can.

2 bags with duplicate stuff > 1 bag packed full of twice of the same stuff that you can't get to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:36:56 AM EST
Japan was a situation where the "Grab and go!" Bug out bag was an extremely valuable asset to have...literally grab it out of the closet and run for your life to high ground! BUT...if the next morning comes around, and you made it, and you are still alive, at least you got a couple meals and some water...maybe a change of clothes and a few essentials...few of the japanese got out with anything. But if you look real close, a few did...wearing civilian backpacks...with what? In them? This was a literal worst case extreme bugout scenerio, and what survivalism is all about.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:37:09 AM EST
Rucksack and a Cabela's Magnum Game Carrier. It'll hold up to 300 lbs.. With a home made hitch it could be hooked to a bike as a trailer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:47:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Oh and too bad, your collection is going to be irradiated when you get back.

Contaminated, maybe, but not radioactive. Just hose 'em off. If bombarded with enough neutrons to make it radioactive, then someone actually dipped it in the core.

The greatest obstacle to your going back will likely be the authorities. I'd be likely to bury stuff if I had to leave it behind, given time. Things will have to really be bad for me to leave.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:58:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By MoBrownCow:
Originally Posted By RichR:

thats what I would like to do...but I am having alot of difficulties doing this...

I just moved to a new state and area that I don't know anyone.....we don't even have a home town forum for NC on ARFCOM...so it looks like it's just "us" against them...

Oh but there is a HTF it just includes SC along with NC, there are lots of NC guys there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:21:59 PM EST
i got a multicam loin cloth to put on and some face paint.

i'll survive...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:35:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By palmetto:
Oh and too bad, your collection is going to be irradiated when you get back.

Contaminated, maybe, but not radioactive. Just hose 'em off. If bombarded with enough neutrons to make it radioactive, then someone actually dipped it in the core.

The greatest obstacle to your going back will likely be the authorities. I'd be likely to bury stuff if I had to leave it behind, given time. Things will have to really be bad for me to leave.

same here.... id grab the extra guns, and gear, wrap them in trash bags with a ton of motor oil, or vac seal them. then fire up our backhoe, dig a big hole, throw in all the ammo cans im not taking, add the guns and gear, and then cover it up, and drag one of the old vehicles we have sitting around over the dirt. then pack up the bov, and trailer, and haul ass. i have looked into all kinds of disasters, and other than the government making me leave, there is no reason i can think of to leave.

1. tornado........ have relatives living all around, pick up the mess, and store it in a garage, and move in with relatives.
2. earthquake...... everyone is screwed, although i think my doublewide mobile home, that is designed to go 60 mph down the freeway, and is anchored to the ground, is probably the best home to be in for a earthquake. ... it will end up a long camping trip until power is restored etc.
3. flooding........ on high ground, and no large rivers close by
4. nuke plant disaster. ...... possible. theres one upwind about 150 miles from here, rather just hunker in the basement and wait it out......
5. nuke attack? ... most things are either far enough away, or not upwind.....

if i had to leave, id hide/ bury the expensive stuff, and come back for the rest later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:00:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By protus:

i'll survive...

You should have read the rantings of AlanConnor on the misc.survivalism newsgroup a few years back. He didn't need a loincloth or any face paint, you big poser.
According to him, he could go into the woods in the middle of winter with 3 feet of snow on the ground with no clothes and nothing else and within 2 weeks he'd have a comfortable home with running hot and cold water in it.
Of course, he was also the guy who planned to control all the people living around him by spiking their drinking water with homemade birth control drugs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:04:16 PM EST
I have a Wrangler on 35" mud terrains. Who needs roads?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:46:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By FourDeuce:
Originally Posted By protus:

i'll survive...

You should have read the rantings of AlanConnor on the misc.survivalism newsgroup a few years back. He didn't need a loincloth or any face paint, you big poser.
According to him, he could go into the woods in the middle of winter with 3 feet of snow on the ground with no clothes and nothing else and within 2 weeks he'd have a comfortable home with running hot and cold water in it.
Of course, he was also the guy who planned to control all the people living around him by spiking their drinking water with homemade birth control drugs.

so..he planned on giving out free beer huh

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:05:37 PM EST
Nah, he said he'd go around the area and spike everybody's water sources with his "homemade birth control" drugs. I responded to him that I'd probably shoot anybody I saw trying to put anything into my drinking water even though the idea of trying to "control" me by spiking my water with his silly crap would probably keep me laughing for a LONG time. I had a vasectomy years ago and my wife can't have children either, so his stupid plan was as half-baked(like his brain). Since AlanConnor showed by his "planning" that he probably couldn't do anything right, I wouldn't trust him to make up a batch of dirty water.
He kept the newsgroup entertained for a while. When he talked about going out in 3 feet of snow and digging for roots with a digging stick we had some fun with him.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:28:09 PM EST
You're right. I don't even know why I prepare. All is lost. I should put a bullet in my brain now. Should it be a 9mm or a .45acp?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:41:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Loco:
You're right. I don't even know why I prepare. All is lost. I should put a bullet in my brain now. Should it be a 9mm or a .45acp?

Are you Loco?
Don't do it man all you have to do is walk to southern OK we will cross the river into The land of milk and honey( thats Texas ) with Kifaru, mountain house and enough bang sticks to supply everyone that Karate man knows.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:44:23 PM EST
Everything I need fits into a ruck (or on a ruck). To include drag bag and ghillie.
It's carrying my wife's shit that is gonna kill me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:51:34 PM EST
ost

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:12:08 PM EST
This is why I'll soon be moving the majority of my stash to the BOL. I'll keep enough here to keep going for 1-2 months, the rest goes to BOL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:20:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:

Yeah and they could also end up in the wrong hands. Thats a chance that I am not wanting to take...because the person that finds it could be out to do harm to you and yours.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:20:04 PM EST
325moutguru

That's awesome
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:38:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By XSabers:
Rucksack and a Cabela's Magnum Game Carrier. It'll hold up to 300 lbs.. With a home made hitch it could be hooked to a bike as a trailer.

How about a truck with a tool box and a travel trailer/RV that is loaded with cloths, food, water, fuel and all you need to grab is a couple of bags and a couple of extra guns. You could easily have enough supplies for a long time if you have things prestaged or loaded already. Like I am sure many here do already.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:24:54 PM EST
I already live on my BOL. 40 miles from the nearest city and 4 miles from a very large lake. I don't know where I could go to make it any better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:27:03 PM EST
I can fit 30g of gas, 15g of water, 20lb propane, propane stove, lantern, heater, two months of food, most of my ammo, all my nice guns, gear, GSD and four adults into my F150 4x4. I plan to BI as long as possible. The only reason I can see to GTFO is a nuke plant melting down or a terrorist bomb.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:57:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By SALTDOG:

How about a truck with a tool box and a travel trailer/RV that is loaded with cloths, food, water, fuel and all you need to grab is a couple of bags and a couple of extra guns. You could easily have enough supplies for a long time if you have things prestaged or loaded already. Like I am sure many here do already.

You're right. It was the "Time to go and you have to bug out on foot." in the OP that threw me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:21:55 AM EST

It's a primary, secondary, whatever ammo/mags you can carry and a backpack. Oh and too bad, your collection is going to be irradiated when you get back.

Choosing to bug out on foot should be a last resort, especially when a bike is likely available. I run 20-30 miles a week, and train with a pack often, and it would still suck. Add in family, and most of us are not going to move nearly as fast. If I put the kiddos in their double trailer, and let my wife pull a bike trailer full of stuff, we can cover a 100 miles in a day on bikes, something that would never be possible with a family on foot. The roads don't have to be 'perfect' to be totally navigable by bike (look at every 3rd world country).

Eggs in one basket, picking a place that has a lower overall threat potential and all that... And learn how radiation works, if your collection is in your safe, it's not going to get 'irradiated'. ;)

As for my 'primary' basket, I weighed all the factors, and picked an area where I can mitigate most stuff. Fallout from a west coast nuke strike and wildfire could be problems, although wildfire is not all that hard to mitigate (construction, hardscaping, and defensible space). We have a couple 'secondary' baskets, although they are not nearly as well stocked. If we have to go, we'll try to take what we can and the BOV/trailer. If the BOV is dead, it's bikes and the bike trailers, and less stuff.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:31:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 4:34:46 AM EST by SALTDOG]
Originally Posted By SALTDOG:

You're right. It was the "Time to go and you have to bug out on foot." in the OP that threw me.

I would stay as long as it was possible, once the decision was made to Bug out, I would evaluate what I have left and go from there. I live on/by a river, do boats count for hauling gear?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:54:18 AM EST
So look at Japan. Roads destroyed. Infrastructure destroyed. Radiation is a-coming. Time to go and you have to bug out on foot. Like it or not you can't take it all which means you are going to have to load up what you can carry and that isn't your 20 or so ak's, ar's and shotguns....it isn't the 3 months worth of food that you have stored and it isn't the 8k rounds of ammo you have ordered over the years for this day.

I thought about that when I read Lights Out. The brother and his kids bugging out with children and a red rider wagon, trying to make it using the RR tracks. Can't carry very much like that, especially ammo. Ammo gets heavy real fast. I could personnaly face this decision one day living in southern FL with the hurricanes that inevitably hit this part of the country.

In order for this to happen we need something along the lines of living close to a Nuke plant or we got Nuked. If your close to a Nuke plant all you have to do is to get away from it. So once you get the warning and know what is happening, you check the weather to see the direction the wind is going to be blowing and go the other direction. If they say to get 20 miles away from it, I would do more like 50-100 miles personally. You would be able to get more out than just what is on your back, But lets say your right, well the BOL should be far enough away that you can get there and be fine with your stashed goods.
ok....Now a Nuke attack happens here, well your way better off to stay put and not expose yourself, full force of the radiation. You should have enough stored in your home to get by for 3-6 months, which would be long enough for it to be a lot safer outside for travel out of the area, so then you could BUGOUT, By then you will have a good amount of you stores used. Then you have the factors of the time of year,temps and what do you have that will help with your survival situation...IE,...if GPS's don't work or any other electronic gear, then you could get batteries and all that equipment out of your bag and thus, reduce the weight of the pack(s) that you would be taking.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:33:10 AM EST
Leaving stuff behind is for suckas.....

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:02:19 AM EST
Right on man awesome vehicle!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:41:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/TheDeuce4.jpg

It's all fun and games until you have to drive through a McDonald's drive-thru during your bug out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:23:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 7:24:27 AM EST by Bubbles]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/Gunwritr/TheDeuce4.jpg

It's all fun and games until you have to drive through a McDonald's drive-thru during your bug out.

If McD's is open for biz then 1) so is the Flying J, and 2) things aren't dire enough to warrant a bug-out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:36:47 AM EST
you should never have all your stuff in one place anyways, even if you never intend on bugging out. What if your house burns down or your basement floods etc. Our group has stuff evenly splits between numerous locations.

J-
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:33:21 AM EST
We have stashes of personal family stuffs at the individual homes......but the bulk is at the BOL.

We have contingency plans for BOB only leaving home.....it would blow big time to have to leave stuff behind.....but if that's the way it happens....so be it.

If that were the case......rest assured....I have deemed a hasty retreat the final option.

If it were a situation that required us as a family to bug out....w/o our planned suburban and trailer.....then the radios would be up and running mobilizing vehicles from the other end to retrieve us at a predetermined way point.....this is already planned.

You never know what events may be set in motion to get you to G.O.O.D.....NOW....DON'T STOP....GO NOW.....RUN.........so we have contingency plans laid in wait.

Granted.....it becomes remarkably more hazardous when those plans have to be enacted..........hope I can see it coming.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:16:11 AM EST
an update from friend & kids last to leave their building, bugging out of Tokyo now:

(Stations were rationing people to 3 gallons previously) I think we will have enough gas to get there––1/2 tank still but no luck on buying more. All the gas stations around are closed. Crazy!
Top Top