Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 2:39:59 PM EDT
I want to reassemble my bug out bag and was hoping someone knew a bag system that would fit my ideas.

I want to maintain a small get home bad that would cover light first aid usage, an unexpected night spent in the desert, and either has and can be attached to a hydration system. This kit is basically to cover the first 24 hours with the BOB to cover the next 48 plus.

The Bug our bag itself should have and external frame a large interiors pouch that holds all the basic essentials, and a couple of side pouches for quick access items. I would like the bag to have some modular components so that I can add or remove specialty items, like winter gear extras to the frame.

Currently I have an oversized fanny pack with an attached camelback system functioning for the get home bag, and a large civilian back pack for the bug out bag. The problem is that I cannot comfortably wear the different components together. The GHB goes everywhere with me and is never further away than my car. My BOB sits in the coat closet unless I need it (only backpacking trips so far). Can anyone recommend a sheeple friendly system that would allow me to quickly combine and separate these different components?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If i'm reading you correctly you want your ghb to be part of a modular system with your bob??????? about the only thing that i've seen that does this is www.kifaru.net/MGpacks.htm

but it aint going to be cheap

eta i don't own any kifaru gear so i can't swear by it..... but i do own a mountain smith pack (kifaru owners old company) and i like it a lot...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
acman,

This is almost exactly what I was looking for thank you.
It is a little pricey, maybe too much but good gear usually is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it was protus who said.  Asking Kifaru owners if they like their packs is like walking into a crack house and asking the folks there if they like crack.

Hell yes.

I love my Kifaru stuff, but honestly it is expensive and you can get good quality gear for much less.  Most other manufacturers import from China, Vietnam or elsewhere in the east.  Kifaru is made in the USA, and that really drives up the price.

Good gear buy expensive.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
acman,

This is almost exactly what I was looking for thank you.
It is a little pricey, maybe too much but good gear usually is.

No problem the one thing i would caution you about their gear is look at the weight of it
if i decked out one of their packs the way i wanted it (all compartmentalized) i bet the damn pack alone would weight 10-15 lbs  the weight and the fact that i don't think i would ever come close to getting my money's worth out of the pack keeps me from buying one....

my mountainsmith pack weighs 5lb 13oz
just something to consider if you plan on backpacking with it IMO
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
someone say kifaru?

They seem to fit teh bill for what you want. Though there are some other "molle" adapatble packs out there that do the same.
There is also some civy packs t hat have external pouches thata re removable.

IMHO.   you should not have to remove any pouches,. The more you add the more y ou add weight wise and the more you through off the packs center of gravity!- which relates to comfort and fatigue!

and besides crack whores lovein' their crack, they are know to fork out twice the going street price to get that fix
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top