Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 8:58:36 PM EDT
I know it's been done before, but I'm pretty excited about getting it up and running since I'm fairly new to APRS, TNCs and Linux.

I have wanted to build a 'stand alone' APRS tracking system that functions like APRS.fi for some time now.  When I found Xastir and then discovered it could run on a Raspberry Pi, I was sold.  I hope to build this all into an EMCOMM box in the near future once I find the right mobile monitor.

This was the setup for tonight's test run.  A Raspberry Pi loaded with Raspbian runs the show, a TNC-Pi sits on top of the RPi and does the translating to my VX-6 via an Argent Systems data cable.

The stock map options with Xastir aren't that great.  I've already downloaded some better ones on my laptop, but I'm still on the hunt for some good downloadable TOPO maps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:48:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 3:49:03 AM EDT by gcw]
I like caching open street maps.

Another project you can look at is YAAC (yet another APRS client) it is written in Java and I have got it running on my pi before. There are some things I don't like about it, but it does maps 1000x better than xastir.

While you are at it try playing around with acarsd. It lets you track airplanes.

Looks good

ETA: Right now I am playing with wayland instead of x.org as the display server and it seems to be much faster.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:40:29 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gcw:
I like caching open street maps.

Another project you can look at is YAAC (yet another APRS client) it is written in Java and I have got it running on my pi before. There are some things I don't like about it, but it does maps 1000x better than xastir.

While you are at it try playing around with acarsd. It lets you track airplanes.

Looks good

ETA: Right now I am playing with wayland instead of x.org as the display server and it seems to be much faster.
View Quote

I will look into it!  Thanks.
Top Top