Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:32:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 7:41:46 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:06:34 AM EST
I had that phone with me last time I went to my company headquarters in Denmark. It was really sweet to be able to email my family for contact while I was over there. I used it for surfing several times. Fortunately my hotel had wireless internet as well. That phone has the best reception of any phone I have ever tried. I have the storm now, which has the same capabilities for world travel, but it does not hold onto a call as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:27:07 AM EST
Be aware that blackberry/verizon have released a new phone that I consider to be an update/fix to the 8830

I had the 8830, and upgraded to the new one, the Tour.

It has a better trackball, which supposedly fixes the issues with the 8830 (time will see, but I like it so far)

It also has a camera and camcorder (pretty good quality too) which I find usefull.

The Tour also comes with the sim card installed, and requires only a phone call to get it going. I do not plan on using this feature.

The screen is also much nicer- better colors, etc. to my eyes. The software is also improved and updated, which I have barely gotten into (gotta try some apps). Basically it does everything the 8830 does, and adds many features that the 8830 should have had. I expect having a camera may be a drawback to some (security wise) but that is the only bad thing I can think of.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:36:40 AM EST
When I took my blackberry overseas, I had better service than I do here. That was in Italy and Germany.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:09:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 6:10:34 AM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:34:20 AM EST
I also carry a small camera and a netbook with me- not sure how the blackberry camera will be used yet. I have no security issues. What I did as well when it wasn't practical to get out the laptop and upload pictures, was use a micro sd card in my camera through adapters- micro sd card will go straight into the blackberry, and into an adapter in the camera- snap pictures, review, insert card into blackberry, and attach to email. Just another tool.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:27:10 AM EST
I've "world traveled" with my 8830 and an iPhone. I'll take the iPhone x1,000,000 over the 8830. My 8830 is sitting on a desk dead right now, because it's a POS. The buttons stopped working, the ball stopped working, etc. It was my third copy of that phone in about a year period. My iPhone I've had for a year now and it's plugging away strong. I don't travel outside of the U.S. on business, but I have business to conduct while overseas and the iPhone has no problem fulfilling my needs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:01:33 AM EST
I thought any GSM phone works pretty well around the world.

My old Palm (AT&T version) worked in Bahamas, China, Belize and Canada.

Buying a local SIM card is just a way to get a local rate for local usage and not cutting AT&T in on the deal.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:10:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

Buying a local SIM card is just a way to get a local rate for local usage and not cutting AT&T in on the deal.

verizon is not gsm, so us on verizon are a little different

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:34:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 11:51:52 AM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:45:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Originally Posted By _Matt_:
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:

verizon is not gsm, so us on verizon are a little different

I thought I had covered this, but I'll go into more detail.

snip

Tj

since you seem to know, I shall ask

I was under the impression that verizon phones in the US used cdma (and evdo) only, basically if its not a world phone with sim card, it wont work anywhere except the us, and while that world phone is in the US, its cdma only

true, not true, or am I simply getting it wrong

honestly, not sure I wanna know, to me, the phone works, and I get good coverage

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:10:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/2/2009 6:23:31 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Top Top