Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 6:31:35 PM EDT
I thought I would bring this up . I don't know who all knows how or knows of the system

http://www.global-greenhouse-warming.com/support-files/wood_gas_generator.pdf

has anyone built one and would like to share their experience?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear of old timers from the 40s doing this from time to time.

Some folks would take wood alcohol and use it in their gas tanks when the filling station was closed on Sundays. (gas and wood alcohol would burn and not knock too bad, if at all)

Problem is, this only really works like the manual says during WARM weather.

Trying to do this in -20F winter weather up here in MN is an act of futility.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about liquid or a gas (like Hydrogen, Methane and CO)?

Could you please clarify if you've actually tried to run a gassification process in -20 weather? Where in the document does it refer to it only really working in WARM weather.

That's news to me. Please explain your findings in more detail. I'd really appreciate it.

This gassification system has nothing to do with alcohol. It's a process of using a continuous column of wood chips, burning at the bottom that  super heats a region of chips just above the burning chips,  to release the gas contained in the wood(Hydrogen, Methane and CO) under a suction. The suction is either via a blower fan, or from an internal combustion engine drawing a vacuum.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
OST tag for info. Looks interesting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I learned of this from reading of some old timers in Poland using it during WWII. there was no mention of cold temperature problems so i too am curious of how cold affects performance. That could be a big downside if so
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently bought a house with more yard space and this is #2 on my project list, right after electric service in the garage for the welder.

The interesting thing is that the city gives away(2 yd/day/person) wood chips from their composting yard.

I've seen many videos of people building this design on YouTube. search for "gassifier" or "gassification". My favorite is the one where a guy converts his pickup and gets it working quite well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvIzzHSJuM

My research project on this is to successfully convert an LP natural gas furnace boiler to run on this gas. The goal is to be able to build a covering with a wind break (closed shed would be a bad idea for CO and explosive gas collection) that houses the "plant", run 18 hours between re-loading wood, and connect insulated PEX pipe from the outdoor boiler to a heat-exchanger on my existing boiler system.

Could I use an outdoor wood boiler? Yes. But the benifit is much more complete conversion of energy to heat with less soot and smoke. If you've ever been near a smouldering wood boiler, you'll know what kind of a neighbor liability it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top