Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 4:25:49 AM EDT
So, Who is getting or gonna get wacked by the storm moving through the midwest today?  We  are gonna miss most of it, but 1/4-1/2 inch of ice could cause a shit ton of problems.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Ice, ice baby.

The generator was exercised last week and my chainsaw was ran 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I was planning on some overtime this weekend, but I "rolled" my ankle yesterday.  This messed up some other plans.  When I saw the weather report, I said to my brother, maybe this was God's way of telling me not to work overtime.

In any event, I have beer and pizza on hand.  Plan ahead !

Medicguy
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Overblown, what did we ever do before weather warnings? Get an inch or two of snow and a little ice and you'd think it was the end of the world. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#6]
slight dusting on the ground now.. have gas for the genny and food in the cupboards.
not worried
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Watching this one on radar.  Might have a chance to see my first ice storm in PA.  Pretty well prepped, for something of this duration, but I need to figure out if I can use a genny to run my apartment if the unit looses power for an extended period of time.  They probably will have an issue with it, but with all my heating and cooking running off the grid I need more options.  Might go propane or kerosene.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Generator runs fine but I do need to fill up the spare gas can. As for vehicles, well, we only have one non-4wd here so snow is never a problem.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
We had about 1/2 inch of ice on everything this morning. It's melting now, but we have a few smaller tree branches down.  I did fill up the gas cans last night just in case...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Snowing here in north central mn we are looking at getting  10 to 15 inches. The wind is going to pick up to mid 20's to 30 mph. Should make me want to tunrn on the Xmas lights and sip hot cocoa
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#11]
It's been snowing most of the morning here.

Have to wait and see how much we get.

GM
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
They are saying upsate ny is gonna get hit. We'll see they are wrong most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We got 3/4's to 1" of rain which is the most we've seen in the last two years.

Think we got close to 2" here in Oceanside yestereday.

Heavy rain in SoCal = Winter Storm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]
 I've presoaked the wicks on the lanterns, pulled down some hot
chocolate, and have the checkers/chess set on standby.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got in hauling seasoned wood inside.

The kerosene heater is filled and I'll be testing the wick shortly. The Black Cat coleman heater is ready. Extra water filled up. Food pantry full....I may run out and top off the BOV with fuel.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in Green bay, WI..AND iTS ON TOP OF US RIGHT NOW.  expecting 8-11" of powder. Then follwed in the morning by  a bit of freezing drizzel, then light snow tomarrow afternoon.
I am prepared, got the TORO fueled up & 3 bags of ice melter....I will SURVIVE this attack by Mother Nature...

Ya HOOO
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in between Madison and Milwaukee, we have few inches
of snow. The last two hours it's been freezing rain. What a
mess, I have inventory tomorrow morning and I'll be on
the road at 4am.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]
18 inches here and still coming down.  

SRM
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
SW Minn - 6+ inches and still snowing here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
.25" ice this morning, then it warmed up. The ice is gone and only lost a few branches. Its 43 degrees now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I just did my first round of "with the storm" plowings. Hit 'em again in the morning when it's done, and it's all good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#22]
6+ just turned to rain and it's 28 degrees, Ought to be fun in a bit.........
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
We are right now Traverse City, MI. Almost over though, at least looking at the radar on

weatherunderground.com. We have some good 25mph gusts and we have been having

good snowstorm and whiteouts since about 4pm. Snow is drifting quite a bit but we

should end up with about 10" or so. Snowmobile season hopefully will be good this year!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
OK guys, we are really getting hammered down here......something terrible.

It has been overcast all day, not a ray of sun to be seen.  High temp was a bone chilling 72 deg.  low for tonight, rumored to be 60.  Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 65 with a low tomorrow night of 37.   It has been stated that we will probably have minimal snow with little chance for accumulation .

Yall hang in there.  Praying for everyone.  I figure we earn this during 'cane season.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#25]
HERE IS A SITE that provides some interesting photos of the weather. click on the 12-hour loop to see what its been doing for the last 12 hours, and see where it is heading.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

SRM

What part of CO?

I live in the mountains near Divide/Cripple Creek, and we only got an inch or so in the past 4-5 hours...  We were supposed to have a foot or so last night and today...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

What part of CO?

I live in the mountains near Divide/Cripple Creek, and we only got an inch or so in the past 4-5 hours...  We were supposed to have a foot or so last night and today...

Leadville.....24 inches easy.  Snowin and blowin

SRM
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#28]
We drove home (60 miles) in the stuff here in northeast MI.  We went from no snow downstate to more & more as we got closer to home.  The Jeep rolled along just fine & the wife never screamed once  Only took an extra 40 minutes to make the trip.

Looking out this A.M. it appears we got about 6" & it's drifted about 18" deep across the driveway.  TIME TO GO PLAY!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Rain and ice forecast for here, I would rather it be snow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#30]
21 degrees in the Allentown area.  It has stopped snowing for the moment, and sounds like later on in the day we can be expecting sleet and freezing rain. So far pretty mild.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]
So I was out walking the perimeter of my property yesterday while hauling in firewood and noticed for the first time one particular thicket that I hadn't been through since moving here this past spring. The leaves being gone revealed an old wooden frame - exactly like someone would make to hold a cord of wood.

Raking back some leaves and brush revealed an old rotten blue tarp held down by bricks and....about 3 dozen seasoned logs. woo hoo! buried treasure!

Since moving here I've been trimming and felling dead trees and spliting the logs for fire wood but most are still too new to ignite properly. I have at least 3-4 cords worth 'standing' dead that need cutting and splitting. But a small horde of seasoned wood will come in handy this winter. I'm going to go exploring some more now that I can see through all the thickets.

I should get a metal detector... too
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Northern Minnesota: we got about 6-8 inches of nice powder.  Always good about clearing the roads quick here.  I worked during the whole storm.  Getting around wasnt bad, but i borrowed a 4x4 from the fleet for a little snow drift fun!  

You would (or woudnt) be surprised at the number of loads who were all out at the bars spending their checks (1st of the month an whatnot).  Damn leeches were getting stuck all over town.  You havent seen nothing till youve seen a truck load of welfares leaving the bar tanked, getting stuck in the middle of a plowed street in a 4x4 vehicle.  It might just be me, but maybe id put some new tires on my rig rather than blow it all at the bar
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#33]
We got a dusting in SE PA overnight.  Now it's 29 degrees with a light freezing rain.  

But, I have a lot of beer in the fridge.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

SRM

Leadville! Home of CHTucker and his snowplow! (guy at a snowplow board I used to spend a lot of time on...)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

Leadville! Home of CHTucker and his snowplow! (guy at a snowplow board I used to spend a lot of time on...)

Whats worse, I know him.

Gotta love small towns.

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top