Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 11:11:22 PM EDT
Wife came home with 10 gal of salmon berries.
Picked in a day and a half with a few kids helping her.

Going to make a bunch of eskimo ice cream and also pies for hopefully a year.
It is being stored in gallon and quart ziplocks then frozen.

Next will be blue,red and black berries.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I always pick a few gallons of wild blackberries to save up for pies, and toss 'em in the freezer. Those are free, just need to take the time to pick them. Absolutely no work to putting them in the freezer, other than the picking part.

Our blueberries in the backyard have a good crop this year, main challenge with them is keeping the birds out, so I use netting over them until fully ripe and ready to pick.

My fave is the huckleberry, but around here I have to travel to the high country, and they are so small, it takes a long time to fill the pail, but delicious, nothing else has that exquisite wild berry flavor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Wild berries. Mmm!  Nothing like them.
I sure miss the days when I was just a kid that we would go to grandma's cottage for the
weekend and we would go pick wild blackberries and wild blueberries. If you haven't had
the wild ones, you haven't had the berries at all. The ones in the store are grown for size,
not taste, and they don't even come close.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Mmmmm... berries!  Down by me (VA) the blueberries and blackberries are just about done for the year, unfortunately.  

This year I decided to spend more time picking (twice a week for about 2-3 hours each time) and canning.  Under this time constraint and from the berries growing wild on my property, I was able to put up over 60 jars of blueberry and blackberry jam!  If I had more time or help, I probably could have doubled that yield...  

Have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top