Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2009 9:11:20 PM EDT
Last weekend, I had the pleasure of donating and hosting a "Hunt for Heroes."  We brought 4 wounded veterans to the ranch, and we took them on a hog hunt.  The hogs weren't very plentiful, because of a severe, prolonged drought, but these were some great guys, and we all had a lot of fun.  We shot 4 pigs (did not recover a few shot on the Combat wahoo in the Monster Truck ), and we ate lots of good food, which had been donated to the wounded warrior foundation by generous individuals and businesses.

I had a support staff which stayed at the camp, cooking and cleaning.  They made my job quite easy.  All I had to do was guide.

Anyway, we hunted the stands. stalked, and the best fun was the nighttime "wahoo," where we got in the monster truck, and we rode the soybean fields with my D-740, a PVS-14, and two PVS-2's.  We came upon 2 different bunches of hogs, and when we spotted them, my neighbor, who was driving the truck, gassed it, until we caught up to them.  Then everyone dumped mags into the crowd of pigs, as they scattered like roaches.  BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, pop (suppressed 6.8), BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, pop....then I gave the cease fire and we drove out into the field to survey the body count.  2 were down but at least three made it to the tree line with holes in them.

I enjoyed talking to each soldier, and I look forward to doing this  again.  I hope that , if you have a place to hunt, you will consider taking them.  They deserve this.

Here are some Pics:

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good on 'ya!  Bet they had a good time and some great memories to take home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
 Very Nice!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Good on 'em!

Plus that truck is badass!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last weekend, I had the pleasure of donating and hosting a "Hunt for Heroes."  We brought 4 wounded veterans to the ranch, and we took them on a hog hunt.  The hogs weren't very plentiful, because of a severe, prolonged drought, but these were some great guys, and we all had a lot of fun.  We shot 4 pigs (did not recover a few shot on the Combat wahoo in the Monster Truck ), and we ate lots of good food, which had been donated to the wounded warrior foundation by generous individuals and businesses.

I had a support staff which stayed at the camp, cooking and cleaning.  They made my job quite easy.  All I had to do was guide.

Anyway, we hunted the stands. stalked, and the best fun was the nighttime "wahoo," where we got in the monster truck, and we rode the soybean fields with my D-740, a PVS-14, and two PVS-2's.  We came upon 2 different bunches of hogs, and when we spotted them, my neighbor, who was driving the truck, gassed it, until we caught up to them.  Then everyone dumped mags into the crowd of pigs, as they scattered like roaches.  BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, pop (suppressed 6.8), BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, pop....then I gave the cease fire and we drove out into the field to survey the body count.  2 were down but at least three made it to the tree line with holes in them.

I enjoyed talking to each soldier, and I look forward to doing this  again.  I hope that , if you have a place to hunt, you will consider taking them.  They deserve this.

Awesome!!!!!

I know we have talked.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=9&t=620585

Thanks for what you are doing.  I had the pleasure of taking 8 Wounded Warriors on a Turkey hunt in Ky a week ago, and taking 3 more out this coming weekend  to ILL.

For those that have never been involved with one of these hunts, I suggest you try it. You will be amazed. In the past 2 years I have been able to get over 65 Wounded Warriors on some kind of a trip.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Job HTR.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Good Job...

I'm on my way OUT of the WTU program up at Ft Lewis right now (fit for duty as of last week)...

I can tell you that we really do appreciate the donations and events that people provide for us...

Good on you...

Oh, and nice 'Pickup to LTV conversion'....  Must be a hell of a lot of fun hog-hunting from the back of it... Now if only you could pintle-mount an M1919 over the top of the cab....
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
that truck rocks, HTR and I got to ride around in it on my hunt there in feb, it was during the day and we didnt run into any hogs but that truck is still sweet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Who is this set up through?  Ive got 7000 acres and would be willing to take a few soldiers hunting but Im a paranoid freak so Id want to make sure its legitimate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You can contact me directly via IM, and I will put you in touch with my local Wounded Warrior foundation person, or you can contact supremeweasel67 who has a post just above this one.  He is looking for persons, like you, with acreage who would be willing to sponsor a hunt.  You will be glad you did.

Thanks for your interest.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice to see the tribute, attitudes have sure changed.

I'm a Combat Vietnam vet and the public would have been happy if we didn't come home at all.  Many of my friends didn't.

Keep up the good work and post more pics of those dead Hogs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]
HTR,

Excellent write up as always.  Glad to hear ya'll got some pigs down.  I'm sure they had a great time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top