Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2011 10:32:17 AM EDT
I know this this is the Deer Hunting Forum, but figured you all would be as pissed as I am about this.

I cross posted this in the HTF, but thought my fellow hunters would be interested also.

I saw this article, and it makes me wonder what kind of idiotic, mindless POS would do this?

I admit that I love the outdoors. I am a hunter, and I am not opposed to the killing of game animals.

I was taught "If you shoot it, YOU EAT IT".

For that reason I do not hunt crows/blackbirds/doves/pigeons. Besides the cleaning process to end up with almost nothing for your troubles, I don't like the taste.

Now I can not see any reason anyone would shoot an Eagle.

1) for the reason above

2) which is most important to me. It is the National Bird (a symbol of this nation). I find this as disgusting as someone who burns the American Flag. (Maybe it is my Military Service that causes me to feel this way, but I would like to believe it is because I am an American).

There are really very few things that I am 100% against. Usually I believe to each their own, and just because I do not believe in it doesn't mean that someone else can't.

However, I hope they find this lowlife POS, prosecute, convict and make them a felon.

Yeah I know, some will think "come down off your . The Eagles are making a come back.

I remember the first time that I was out hunting and saw one flying and land in a tree about 50 yards from my stand.

PIKEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Wildlife officials are offering a reward to help find the person responsible for shooting a bald eagle in Bledsoe County.

The body of the mature eagle was found about a mile east of state Highway 101 and Big Springs Gap Road.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife spokesman Tom MacKenzie told the Chattanooga Times Free Press the crime is prosecutable under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act and under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The culprit could be fined up to $100,000 and be sentenced to a year in prison.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency are offering a $2,500 reward for information about the shooting.

Tennessee hosts about 140 eagle breeding pairs.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Because they taste good with BBQ sauce?
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
tastes like freedom

it was probably some dumb kid with a .22 or something.

kids have no respect.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey!!!! Hold my beer and watch this!!! Bet I can hit him with one shot!!!!
This sums up the mentality of some people. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Spotted owl is better, almost all dark meat.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Breaded, fried, and dipped in ranch dressing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Breaded, fried, and dipped in ranch dressing.

Just my opinion, but it would probably surprise everybody who actually did this...from teenagers to "adults".  Like everybody else, I hope they catch him/them and let them serve the whole sentence, no days knocked off for 1st offenders, etc.  What kills me is the comments like these that people post for the whole world to see...I know it's "joking" so to speak, but a bit un-patriotic in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people have no respect for anything. Unfortunately there are people out there who use any animal as a target then discard it like it was nothing. These types give hunters and shooters a bad name.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
self defense

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Would like to hear the story of this?
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Only a slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker will shoot a bald eagle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#13]
why would someone shoot a bald eagle ?   because they are
stupid
ignorant
have no respect
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
To preserve fish stocks?

I know a man who owns a private lake and he is hell on pelicans who eat his trout. Takes them out with an AR. But I don't think even he would take out a bald eagle.

Guy is also obsessed with the pairie dogs that dig their burrows in his earthen dams.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to apologise to the USA for my state, which apparently contains cretins capable of this.

If he is caught you have my word that I will do my best to convert the offender into Eagle chow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Would like to hear the story of this?

Saw it at my taxidermist's when I was picking up my bear rug. It was a legal kill with an Indian permit. Didn't get all the details, but I guess they allot one tag every few years for tribal purposes. All I know is that even if it was dead and stuffed, it was still amazing to be able to touch its beak and talons, and just see it that close.

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Commies have guns too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#19]
ever been around a cannery in alaska and had one attack you?

Quoted:

Only a slimy little communist shit twinkle-toed cocksucker will shoot a bald eagle.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spotted owl is better, almost all dark meat.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Update:

Saw on the news last night that a second Bald Eagle was shot/killed.

Second one was killed within 30 miles of the first one.

There is a $17,000 reward, a good portion of that from Private Citizens.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]
What kind of person shoots a Bald Eagle?

Same kind as the person who rapes women and girls, opresses others, manipulates for greed, etc.

they like to abuse their power and won't stop until there are sufficient deterents.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure my opinion is different from most on here.  

Why is an eagle different from any other buzzard?  I hear guys bitch about the hell hawks and owls play on small game everywhere, an eagle is no different.  In fact eagles are lazy, disgusting birds.  Eagles are also very numerous now, if I want to know where a dead animal is in the woods, I don't look for crows or vultures any more, I look for eagles.  I don't understand why this animal is considered threatened anymore.  I understand that it is our national bird, that doesn't mean it is somehow noble, or anything other than an animal.  To think otherwise is just another form of Disney-fication.

Whoever shot this eagle committed a crime and I don't condone that in any form, but from some of the posts on here, you'd think they burned down the Whitehouse while raping an eight year old boy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sure my opinion is different from most on here.  

Why is an eagle different from any other buzzard?  I hear guys bitch about the hell hawks and owls play on small game everywhere, an eagle is no different.  In fact eagles are lazy, discusting birds.  Eagles are also very numerous now, if I want to know where a dead animal is in the woods, I don't look for crows or vultures any more I look for eagles.  I don't understand why this animal is considered threatened anymore.  I understand that it is our national bird.  That doesn't mean it is somehow noble or anything other than an animal.  To think otherwise is just another form of Disney-fication.

Whoever shot this eagle committed a crime and I don't condone that in any form, but from some of the posts on here, you'd think they burned down the Whitehouse while raping an eight year old boy.

let that sink in a bit.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I know a few old timers that do not like raptors.  Reason given is usually that they are really hard on small game.  I used to know a guy that raised game birds to release and hunt on his property.  He didn't like anything that ate them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know a few old timers that do not like raptors.  Reason given is usually that they are really hard on small game.  I used to know a guy that raised game birds to release and hunt on his property.  He didn't like anything that ate them.

Yup, the pheasant hunting club I used to belong to lost a lot of birds to hawks and owls.  The damn hawks knew the release schedule by heart and would sit in the trees around the field waiting for the dinner bell to ring.  It hurts when you pay $20 for a game bird and see it become hawk bait as soon as you let it out of the crate and there is nothing you can do about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Whether posters here like to admit it or not, bald eagles, like other raptors, can prey upon farm animals and cause damage, too.  Elmer Keith often wrote of the number of eagles he had killed, some while feeding on his livestock (mostly lambs).
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The reason some people kill Bald Eagles is because if the Wildlife Commission finds out a Bald Eagle is nesting on your farm or hunting property, they will fine you if you disturb, "In any Way", the Bald Eagle, it's nest, and the land around it's nest therefore deeming your land in that area un-farmable or un-huntable. This is straight out of the mouth of a few people I have met over the years with farmland and hunting land. The Wildlife Commission will shut your land down Federally.

I have never and would never shoot a Bald Eagle as I am a proud American and I think they are beautiful birds!
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is funny to me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Simple, they taste like chicken and are much bigger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
stupid
ignorant
have no respect

just because you say bald eagles are stupid, ignorant, and have no respect, doesn't mean you should shoot them.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Because the bald eagle is a "Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . . "  Ben Franklin in a letter to his daughter, 1/26/1784.

I agree with Ben, the turkey should have been our symbol.  I have never shot a raptor, but if I saw one attacking my livestock I wouldn't hesitate.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Because some people will shoot anything that walks, swims, runs or flies, just for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
stupid
ignorant
have no respect

just because you say bald eagles are stupid, ignorant, and have no respect, doesn't mean you should shoot them.  

Now that right there is FUNNY. I lol'd.

I was going to say maybe it was an accident and then the report about a second one being shot points to an act of deliberateness. Could be some young punk running around the woods or even a political dissenter. Hmph.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why would someone shoot a bald eagle ? because they are

stupid

ignorant

have no respect

Now that right there is FUNNY. I lol'd.

I was going to say maybe it was an accident and then the report about a second one being shot points to an act of deliberateness. Could be some young punk running around the woods or even a political dissenter. Hmph.
It is now 3 that have been shot.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]
shooting a bald eagle is like pissing on a national monument, if its not messing with you leave it alone. They closed down one of the best lakes at FT Stewart for bass fishing due to the amount of Bald Eagles there, it sucked but those animals are beautiful and the National Symbol. I havent forgot the best political cartoon with the bald eagle sharpening it claws after 9/11 saying 'its go time'.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
While I would never kill an Eagle, the whole "I won't kill it if I don't eat it," argument is BS.

Do you not kill cockroaches, ants, rats, or whatever else you detest.  Some shit just needs to be killed.

And again just so we are clear I do not condone the killing of Eagles.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

While I would never kill an Eagle, the whole "I won't kill it if I don't eat it," argument is BS.

Do you not kill cockroaches, ants, rats, or whatever else you detest. Some shit just needs to be killed.

I assume you are referring to me, and my original post.

In which case, read it.

I admit that I love the outdoors. I am a hunter, and I am not opposed to the killing of game animals.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you not kill cockroaches, ants, rats, or whatever else you detest. Some shit just needs to be killed.

In which case, read it.

Not necessarily towards you, just in general.  I understood your post, and it is only my opinion.  IMO some animals, not just game animals, also need to be kept in check.  Even if they are not desirable to eat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Supposedly Bald Eagles winter in our area of Texoma, but I've never seen one.  I'd have to think about it but I've had hawks and such that thought my animals were a buffet and picked them off one at a time.  I might shoot let a Bald Eagle have one or maybe two, but if they made a habit of it, then yes I'd probably shoot him.  You goofballs that are saying how un-American it is need a lesson in real patriotism (and need to grow your own food for a while).
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In which case, read it.

I take it you don't have hogs in your area yet...
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In which case, read it.

I take it you don't have hogs in your area yet...
Yep, sure do, and if they get killed, then they get eaten. Hogs are considered "property".

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Elmer Keith killed numerous eagles, mostly golden but some bald ones, too. He shot them with a rifle when he could, but he did considerable long-range handgunning practice on them, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top