Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 10:28:44 AM EDT
Looking for a review of those who put their disaster prep. plans and/or bug out plans to use for Gustav.  Not necessarily the items you had, but how your plan worked (or didn't work) and what changes you will be making in the future?

How many stayed in state, or left their state.

Did you travel to a bug out location, and if so how did that work out?

Did you use your BO vehicle?

Lets hear it.

ETA: I realize some are still operating under their plans, so for those guys give us updates and good luck getting back home, hopefully with minimal damage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
well, my plans went in to effect....

I work for the local government in the Finance Department.  I'm on the special action team that mans the phones at the Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness.  It's voluntary (but paid), there for I technically could bug out without penalty, but I didn't plan on leaving anyway.  I worked a total of 3 -12 hr. shifts.  While there I was fed and had power which minimized using my supplies.

We lost power for almost exactly 60 hrs.  I had plenty of ice on hand, do not own a generator.  my Coleman lantern, Coleman stove and propane burner all came in handy.  I have more flashlights than I can count also.  I had plenty of water and food.  I ate one MRE during the storm to avoid lighting my cooking appliances in an enclosed area (way too windy outside lol), I also cooked some hamburger helper one day and ate some Raviolis in a can.

I had plenty of gas saved up just in case, but I don't own a generator, my lawnmower, 4 wheeler, truck and 7 gallons in two cans.  My dad ended up offering his small 1300w genny, I accepted (and had my own fuel to run it) so that I could use it to recharge batteries if needed b/c I lost a lot of siding and planned on using cordless drills to tack some of it back up.  It's still rough in a lot of places...

I have a planned dove hunt this weekend, it also happens to be located in N. La. where my long distance BOL is located.  I'm debating on canceling the trip to take care of stuff around here, but I don't really think I'll be able to get much done anyway so we'll see, I may just end up bugging out for the weekend anyway.

I'll see about getting a full writeup about everything later.  I have some good stories from answering the phones at the emergency operation center, but I need to get offline and take care of some business for now.

Everyone I know is safe - lots have roof damage and fences down, I lost some siding but I personally don't know anyone that has a problem that can't be fixed.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top