Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2007 4:08:41 PM EDT
Im thinking that I could make up some chili and give the NY crew a break from my usual hot dogs and hamburgers routine at my place.
Im wondering if anyone has a tried and true home chili recipe ? Beans or No beans, Im open to anything.
I have made my own, but damn ! It was soooo spicy that few people enjoyed it much, except me and my son !
I know Im asking for trouble what with only one bathroom and a bunch of NY Chili eating , bullet spraying, wildmen, but what the hell right ?
Thanks.
Paul
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Crap.  Did it again.  This is Kitties, not uxb.  Heavy sigh.

Quoted:
Im thinking that I could make up some chili and give the NY crew a break from my usual hot dogs and hamburgers routine at my place.
Im wondering if anyone has a tried and true home chili recipe ? Beans or No beans, Im open to anything.
I have made my own, but damn ! It was soooo spicy that few people enjoyed it much, except me and my son !
I know Im asking for trouble what with only one bathroom and a bunch of NY Chili eating , bullet spraying, wildmen, but what the hell right ?
Thanks.
Paul

Everyone generally likes my chili.  Get lotsa compliments.  It's simple, but it does have beans.  It does not have noodles.  That's because that's the way I like it.  I like the beans and no noodles.  I don't care what chili is "supposed to have."  But my mom made chili that was weak, thin and had noodles when I was growing up.  I like the opposite--thick, hearty and flavorful--but not so hot you can't eat it.

What did you do to make your chili too spicy?

My chili is basically meat, tomatoes, onions, dark red kidney beans and chili powder.  I make it with ground beef and sometimes with cubed browned beef--more cowboy style with the cubed beef I guess.

Anyway, I can guess at ingredient amounts if you want.  When I make it, I make a big pot of it.  This is what I generally make when company is coming over and i don't know how many I'll have to feed, cuz it's easy and you can't really mess it up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Taco chili that is awesome:

2 lbs browned ground beef
1 quart tomato juice
1 can of rotel tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of corn
2 cans of chili beans
1 package/pouch of dry ranch seasoning
1 package/pouch of dry taco seasoning

Throw everything in a crockpot for a few hours.  Spice it up with dried red pepper if you want.

It's the best chili I've ever had.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yet again, this is KITTIES, not UXB.

Well here is my basic recipe for anybody who likes beans in their chili.  Since the original post said he's open to whatever.  I like the flavor and texture of beans in the chili--especially if I make it with ground beef.  With cubed beef, the beans are less necessary IMO.

I generally make a big pot, as the leftovers are better than the fresh, and it always gets eaten no matter how much  I make.

So, I'll do a 1 lb of meat recipe (small) that I do for just uxb and me, and I would normally triple this if I were having any company at all.

1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 cans tomato sauce and/or chunked fresh tomatoes or plain anned diced tomatoes 1 can dark red kidney beans
salt
chili powder

Brown the meat, drain fat, set aside.  
Saute the onion in Evoo (or butter will work too).
Dump the meat into a big pot, dump onion in with it.  
Dump in two cans tomato sauce (save extra can in case you need it--use as necessary to get thickness you desire)
Once it starts to simmer, dump in chili powder, about a teaspoon at a time and start tasting.  Get it ALMOST as spicy as you want it.  The powder doesn't kick in until later.  If you get it hot enough now, it'll be TOO spicy when it's done.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes on low-med heat, adding extra tomato sauce as needed while the sauce cooks down, and adding chili powder/tasting.

The fresher and more whole the ingredients, the more texturally pleasing this chili is to me--coarse chopped onions and some fresh chunked tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes makes a more pleasing meal than just tomato sauce alone.

Serve with the following to make a nice presentation:

Shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
Sour cream (no matter how spicy it is, this will tone it down for those who like less spice)
Fritos dipping chips
Regular saltines

Easiest 40-minute start to finish meal in the universe.

Kitties

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can write down the chili receipe, it isn't any good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
newb starting point - Try Carrol Shelby's chili mix in the bag. The bag has the other ingredients on the outside so you can pick them up at the store also. You decide how ho and beans/no beans. May be a good place to start.

As others stated it means so many things to people you never know what you may find in chili - like peanut butter, or jelly or something else you would never think of....

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Why on earth would you drain the fat?

That there is flav-O-ring!

ground chuck, prob around 2 pounds
brown it
I use a packet for spices generally, Old el paso or ortega, doesn't matter to me,
my secret ingredient, a heavy dash of cinnimon on the meat
one huge yellow onion shoped or cut into slivers, toss it in let it soften
toss in a clove or two of fresh chopped garlic
Add one quart of whole tomatos, a 10 oz can of tomato sauce,
I hit the tomatos with my potato masher to bust em up, but leaving some big chunks
fresh or canned chilis or jalepenos
just to piss off texas, I add not one but two cans of dark red kidney beans, sometimes I'll go one dark and one light.  I like beans.

Always make enough to have leftovers to put on top of hot dogs for lunch the next day.

An all day chili is good or reheated the next day is even better.  A good chili needs time to fester!

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My "North Texas" Chili won First place in a chili cookoff In San Antonio (not a sanctioned contest, but it did win)

You need Ground Beef (this was filler for the cookoff)
Chuck Roast Cubed
Breakfast sausage
Chili Powder (I used williams)
"West Texas Dust" seasoning
Malindas Hot Sauce XXXX
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste
Diced "Extra Hot" Ro-tel
Jalapenos Diced
Habeneros Finely Chopped
Yellow Onion Diced
One Red Bell Pepper Diced
Salt and pepper to taste.

NO BEANS!!!!!

Put all the tomatoes and such in the food processor Give it a few rounds to mix the stuff
Let the "Sauce" stand
Brown the Meats, drain, add chili powder and a little water and let simmer.
roll the roast about until it is coated well let simmer
Place the seasoned meat in a Crock Pot or Dutch Oven (depends on how you want to cook it) layer it in there layer of meat and a layer of sauce until you run out of both
Let it sit and simmer and mingle and so on over low heat all night in the Crockpot.

The Roast chunks will fall apart This is thick enough to stand a spoon.... At least until it disolves

I like my Chili Spicy so this is HOT with Spice!

SOmewhere around here I have instructions on a "White Chili" with Chicken and white sauce. Also have a Chili without meat, mostly peppers quite tasty...
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
2 lbs of ground beef of chili beef
1 bag Carrol Shelby's chili mix  (comes with chili powder, hot spice and mesa)
2 cans chili beans
2 cans kidney beans (dark or light, whatever you want)
3 to 5 cans of petite diced tomatos

Brown beef and put everything in a crockpot for three or four hours.  I add all the chili powder and add hot spice to taste and personaly never use the mesa.  

I garnish with a chopped onion and cubed cheese.  If you like you can hit it with a dollop (sp) of sour cream.

It makes enough for my wife, daughter and I to eat chili for a week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Kitties here, working hard to bump up uxb's post count.  I have seriously got to get a laptop....

Quoted:

Why on earth would you drain the fat?

That there is flav-O-ring!

ground chuck, prob around 2 pounds
brown it
I use a packet for spices generally, Old el paso or ortega, doesn't matter to me,
my secret ingredient, a heavy dash of cinnimon on the meat
one huge yellow onion shoped or cut into slivers, toss it in let it soften
toss in a clove or two of fresh chopped garlic
Add one quart of whole tomatos, a 10 oz can of tomato sauce,
I hit the tomatos with my potato masher to bust em up, but leaving some big chunks
fresh or canned chilis or jalepenos
just to piss off texas, I add not one but two cans of dark red kidney beans, sometimes I'll go one dark and one light.  I like beans.

Always make enough to have leftovers to put on top of hot dogs for lunch the next day.

An all day chili is good or reheated the next day is even better.  A good chili needs time to fester!

Oh, this looks like a good recipe too.  I'm gonna try this with the jalapenos when cold weather gets here.  I don't use the packets cuz they all have msg in them.  

I drain the fat cuz it separates from the rest of the liquids and just gets gross, and uxb doesn't need the fat--I'm tryin' ta keep him around a while.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Texas Chili Con Carne Mod     (Serves 10)
5 medium Ancho Chile pods, (about ½ ounce total), toasted and ground (see note)
5 medium New Mexico Chile pods (about ¾ ounce total), toasted and ground
5 Chile De Arbol pods, toasted and ground
1 can (12 oz.) Chipotle Chiles in Adobo (puree w/ 1/2 cup water)
These four are bought dries and must be toasted and ground. I use a Vita Mix bender to grind and regular blender may not be able to grind them into powder. You may need to obtain a grinder or something to grind with.)
3 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted in dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes, and ground
(I used 3 teaspoons, store bought powder.)
3 teaspoons dried oregano powder, preferably Mexican
10-12 slices bacon (about 12-16 ounces), cut into 1/4 -inch squares
(Not used in the chili mix, just need the fat to cook meat. Save bacon for salad, breakfast burritos, etc.)
5-6 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed of all excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium onion, minced
5 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 5 teaspoons)
3 medium fresh jalapeño Chile peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced to be saute`
1 can canned plain tomato sauce (8-12 oz.)
2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 tsp. beef base
Juice of 1 lime (about 6 Tbsp)
10 Tablespoons masa harina or 6 tablespoons cornstarch
Kosher Salt &  Ground black pepper as you like
1. Mix first four chili powders, cumin, and oregano in small bowl and stir in ½ cup water to form thick paste; set aside. Toss beef cubes with 2 teaspoons salt in large bowl; set aside.
2. Fry bacon in large Dutch oven over medium-low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, about 10 minutes. (I used two iron skillets, set newspaper on floor in front of stove to save on clean up!)  Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel–lined plate; pour all but 2 teaspoons fat from pot into small bowl; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high (high enough that the meat browns quickly and not burn , too low and the meat will release it’s water and boil before it browns.) ; sauté meat in small batches until well-browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, adding 2 teaspoons bacon fat to pot each time as necessary. Set browned meat aside in large bowl. (I used or crock pot at this point cause we don’t have a Dutch oven yet)
3. Reduce heat to medium and add 3 tablespoons bacon fat to now-empty pan. Add minced onion and sauté until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and minced jalapeños and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chili powder mixture and sauté until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. (I added this mix to the meat in the crock pot and turned the pot onto high)
Add reserved bacon and browned beef, crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, lime juice, Chipotle puree, and 7 cups water (I added hot, not boiling water to the crock pot). Bring to simmer. Continue to cook at steady simmer (lowering heat as necessary) until meat is tender and juices are dark, rich, and starting to thicken, about 2 hours. (I had this in the crock pot for about 4hrs on high)
4. Mix masa harina with 2/3 cup water (or cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water) in small bowl to form smooth paste. Increase heat to medium, stir in paste, and simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. (I added this about an hour before we ate and had to add more right before we served, so you may have to experiment on this to get a thickness you like) Adjust seasonings generously with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately or, for best flavor, cool slightly, cover, and refrigerate overnight or for up to 5 days. (Chili is best served after it has had a night to contemplate its fate) Reheat before serving.
Serve the chili with any of the following side dishes: warm pinto or kidney beans, corn bread or chips, corn tortillas or tamales, rice, biscuits, or just plain crackers. Top with any of the following garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro leaves, minced white onion, diced avocado, shredded cheddar or Jack cheese, or sour cream.
NOTE:  To toast and grind dried chilies: Place chilies on baking sheet in 350-degree oven until fragrant and puffed, about 6 minutes. Put smaller chilies (De Arbol) in for no more than 2 minutes. Cool, stem, and seed, tearing pods into pieces. Place pieces of the pods in a spice grinder or high speed blender (Vita Mix) and process until powdery, 30 to 45 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Those are some damn good recipes !!! thanks !!!
I ll be making a few of them !
Paul
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
2 1/2 to 3 lbs ground turkey
2 onions, diced
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cans canned diced tomatoes
2 bottles Sierra Nevada Porter or Yuengling Black and Tan
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 Tbs salt
1 Tbs cumin
8 or 9 ancho peppers
1/2 Tbs ginger
1/2 Tsp cloves
1 Tsp mambosa (It's a fluorescent orange West African chili powder...trust me, you want it)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp black pepper

Boil the bouillon cubes in the beer to make a broth.  Rehydrate the peppers in some water for a few minutes.  Drain and combine in a food processor with the spices, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of one of the cans of tomatoes, blending to a smooth paste.  Brown the meat in a skillet, draining excess liquid at least once, and when about 2/3 of the way cooked add the onions.  Add in the tomatoes and let them cook in for about a minute.  Add the chili paste and mix in thoroughly.  Add the beans then the beer broth.  Bring to a boil then immediately bring it down to low.  Cover and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then uncover and bring to medium low and let it simmer for another 30 minutes, more or less, stirring gently.  When ruby red droplets cover between half and 2/3 of the surface then it's done.  

You will want only this chili for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
2 cans chili beans

Brown beef and put everything in a crockpot for three or four hours.  I add all the chili powder and add hot spice to taste and personaly never use the mesa.  

I garnish with a chopped onion and cubed cheese.  If you like you can hit it with a dollop (sp) of sour cream.

Carol Shelby's chili mix is the best I've ever had.  I still have one of the old brown bags around here from before they redid the packaging--the one that said something about "don't use this packet if there's any wimmenz and children gonna be eatin the chili."  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 cans chili beans

Carol Shelby's chili mix is the best I've ever had.  I still have one of the old brown bags around here from before they redid the packaging--the one that said something about "don't use this packet if there's any wimmenz and children gonna be eatin the chili."  

Yea, I'm sure you could make better chili but the Carol Shelby is really good and I can have it in the crockpot and the kitchen cleaned back up in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
This one is easy, but a very consistent crowd pleaser -- MAX the spices and NO BEANS!  

Great place to "start" and add on (see notes below).

SENATOR GRAMM’S AWARD WINNING CHILI

2 lbs. meat, part ground and part cut into sugar cube size
1 small yellow onion, minced

Brown and drain, if necessary

Add:

2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 (8 oz.) cans of water
4 Tbsp. chili powder
1-2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
½ - 1 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 - 3 Tbsp. Flour

Cook 1-2 hours

Add:

2-3 Tbsp. Flour

Courtesy of Phil Gramm, U.S. Senator (ret.), Texas

B2's Notes:

I normally double this recipe (triple for big crowd like the chili cook off…)

Use good quality meat!  I normally use ground sirloin, cubed sirloin/top round or something similar and normally end up with a little more “protein“ than called for.  You can also add about ¼ (by weight) or less of ground pork for flavor -- remember, TX is beef country!  Also, I usually cube the meat just a little larger than a sugar cube.  (BTW, pork and venison/elk would be awesome!)

Go ahead and season your meat while browning (salt, pepper, and maybe even a little good S/W seasoning, chili powder, cumin, etc. -- builds “layers of flavors”).  

Don’t be afraid of the onion, some extra OK, small chop vs. minced OK, and it cooks down.  I normally start the meat browning, then add the onion to sweat them.  You can add the minced garlic at the last minute or two of browning to release its flavor--don‘t burn it, or your chili will get bitter!  

For the liquid, I use good quality, low sodium beef broth and/or chicken broth vs. H20.  A little good bourbon either “flamed with the meat,” or just added in never hurts… (same w/ beer).

“Adding the flour” -- recommend making a “slurry” w/ extra stock or water prior to adding  (otherwise, you’ll have lumps).  Depending on cooking time, you may not even need the last thickening…  If you do add flour at the last minute, ensure it has time to “cook in” or you’ll taste it.

Cook at least 2 hours on a stove -- much longer in a crock.  This stuff will not taste “quite right” early on, will taste really spicy/non-complex, and you’ll wonder WTFO?  It will come together, and you can adjust seasonings, liquid, etc.   after this point.  BOTTOM LINE:  Play with your chili!
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 cans chili beans

Yea, I'm sure you could make better chili but the Carol Shelby is really good and I can have it in the crockpot and the kitchen cleaned back up in 15 minutes.

Yeah, that's why I do my simple chili without a lot of fuss.  40 minutes start to on the table.  One pan, one pot, and that's it.  I've never done chili in the crockpot.  Might try that sometime.

ETA:  And the thing is, we like the simple chili just as much as the fancier chili with all the other spices in it.  I dunno why.  

Kitties
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top