Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2018 11:36:28 AM EDT
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ocala/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=32295&actid=34
Many enjoy the solitude and primitive experience of dispersed camping - camping away from developed campgrounds and other campers. However, no services and little to no facilities are provided. Additional responsibilities and skills may be necessary for a successful trip, and it is your responsibility to know your limits and abilities before you try this experience. Camping rules and regulations apply to make your experience safe and keep settings scenic and unspoiled for your fellow campers.
View Quote
I'm considering a couple of nights out, in late November/early December to test minimalist gear, specifically some aviation survival vests.

(Given that I'm testing it I will also be bringing a full set of gear; tent, sleeping bag, etc)

So I'm curious about:

• Where I can park

• How far in will I have to go before I'm beyond the beaten path

• Can I use my 3-gun cart to get there (probably, considering the 'flatlands' of FL lol).  This is because a backpack and a survival vest conflict with each other

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Can over nite park at one of the camp grounds and hit the trail heads, we used to primitive camp all the time, would put on some florida hometown sponsored camps.

Look up “hidden pond” , the camp ground would be juniper springs off 40, easy to get to, they specifically have parking for dayhikers and backpackers, tell them how many nites, pay for permit and have at it

Hidden pond has nice bass and can primitive camp out on the prairies, hidden pond good source of water, its about 3 miles from juniper campground, you might see an occasional day hiker, but we always had the place to ourselves, didnt matter time of year

I cant see the cart being issue, i wouldnt wanna do it, lol, maybe get a couple ppl to join, post in hometown forums.

@protus
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Hidden pond is ok. But will have folks.
Best bet is camp at hopkins  prairie,  hike out north on the FT. Or south into pats island.
Hunting season will also fill up the sites.
Juniper wilderness is a no hunt area, and has tge FT and the yearling trail to play around on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Read hunting regs about camping. There are restrictions during hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I never do it during hunting season. I've done it around February.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never do it during hunting season. I've done it around February.
View Quote
+1 The hell with being out there during hunting season.

I spent a few days out there out of a car hauler trailer we had. Just pulled the 4 wheelers out and slept on the floor with sleeping bags. You have to get creative with showering, but they have pop up kits for that. It's a pretty cool place to camp.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
crap, hunting season.

Would it kill them to list the dates without having to get there through a google search? lol

How prevalent is hunting within the National Forest?  It appears that requires a special permit.

I'm trying to go when the weather is normal, vs too-damn-hot, and use up my vacation days for 2018 lol.

edit:

Ocala NF appears to be zone C, hunting all the way to Jan 20.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Go where i told you and its a non- issue, the south side of 40 would be diff story
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, cool.

Hidden pond.

My cart is one of those three-wheel affairs, with the big tires, that I got off craigslist.  Otherwise I'll have to strap the vest to the pack lol, look like some hobo

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Cart will be fine, rifles not so much, lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cart will be fine, rifles not so much, lol
View Quote
Till he has to push it 5 miles through sand dune like trails...lol.

Onf hunting is 1st week of nov through end of January.
Theres is no hunt areas.
40 and 19 south is dogs. 88 and west/south is dogs.
88 east to 19 is still hunt.
Juniper wildressness and billies bay are no hunt areas. The FT goes through both.

If you want. on the ST.johns theres a primative area thats 7$ a night. Its only 10 spots. In the lake george forest. Its a permit only hunt area so. That means maybe 3 weekends to hunt.
Bliffton road iirc.
Ive camped there.

Honestly.
Pack your pack and shove your vest in it.
I get wanting to test wearing it etc.

Quite place to do your junk.
Is 1 mile south of pats island trail head. Break east on the yearling trail.
At tge sink hole jog off down jodys trace till you get to the cattle dip in the pine flats and camp there. You 99% wont see anyone.
Or
Pass the sink hole, head to the graveyard,  head east and then bust south into the oaks on the ridge before dropping into juniper prarie.
Again. Both places youll be hard pressed to see others if you go off trail.

These are in no hunt areas so youll be fine.
Ive got a bunch of time off nov - dec.
I can point you to areas if you want.

Ive used a bunch of the older aircrew kits, used to give away some at our trips to folks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Till he has to push it 5 miles through sand dune like trails...lol.

View Quote
Shhhs,  thatll be a fun lesson to learn once.

Who was that dude thay wanted to test his 100 lb pack during a summer hike, lol, he made it but was going to seriously reevaluate gear selection
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I learned that at Camp Perry with a little-wheel cart lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shhhs,  thatll be a fun lesson to learn once.

Who was that dude thay wanted to test his 100 lb pack during a summer hike, lol, he made it but was going to seriously reevaluate gear selection
View Quote
Theres been a few lol.
That young kid jonas humped in that big mess of a ruck once, and there was that older stocky dude that did only one trip.
And of course RJ and his 10000 CI kifaru super ruck. Lol.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I learned that at Camp Perry with a little-wheel cart lol
View Quote
Honestly i dont think itd be enjoyable with the cart. Between roots/stumps,logs to step over itd be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly i dont think itd be enjoyable with the cart. Between roots/stumps,logs to step over itd be a pain in the ass.
View Quote
Ah yea, condition of trail could be an adventure with a cart, dont think we’ve ever hiked and not have to climb over downed trees
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I've already begun brainstorming how to roll up the vests and strap the pack cover over them lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top