Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 7:11:26 PM EDT
Hey everyone currently I own an A2 aviator incandescent and a backup. I mainly use them at work and edc.

I am near Fort Lenoard Wood for a little while and found an outlet store near here that is selling some discontinued surefires.

I'll make a list of what they are selling, but wanted to ask you guys what you think I should get? Also want to see if these prices are any good.

Off the top of my head I remember they had A2 LED ($120) and incandescent ($70) I think a number of larger combat lights, kroma, a C3 Centurion and some random lights I had never heard of lol.

So what discontinued light would you guys want?!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
$120 will get you a real nice LED light from someone other than surefire and have a LOT more output and run time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you want this light to do for you?  Appreciate in value, just be another light in your stable, throw a long way, or have a lot of different modes?

I bought a 6P when we had that LOWES sale special going on some 5 years back and at 80LM and single mode only, it was pretty anemic.  I added a Redilast 3 mode XM-L2 U2 last year, along with some of their 17670 li-ions and now it's an impressive light, albeit it a bit on the bigger side of things.

SureFire has lagged behind a lot of the Asian makers and your money really goes a lot farther if you just look around.

Now, if you're just a SF fanboy, go over the CPF.com and look for the 'rare/collectible' SureFire thread and see if you can find any rare versions at your dealer and perhaps profit?

Chris
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can pick up a new Fury for less than $120 dual output on Amazon, why would you want an Aviator over that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of those you mentioned are older, discontinued, and collectible items.  Check ebay for past sales prices on those models.  You might be able to flip them and make enough money to pay for a top of the line light.

If I could only have one discontinued Surefire light, it would without question be the L1 Lumamax.  Absolutely bad ass light.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty happy with my U2 Ultra.  Not sure if they even make it anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had the A2 aviator since around 2006.  I use it because it has a low power red LED and high power incandescent.

I buy Surefires because they have always been reliable for me and they are mostly American made.

I think I might buy some of the discontinued surefires to possible resale if the prices are good enough. But also to add to my collection.  I plan to go back this weekend to get a good list of what is available.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty happy with my U2 Ultra.  Not sure if they even make it anymore.
View Quote

That's a good one, but they do still produce the U2.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't remember a U2 being there, but there were so many.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
as Mr Jefferson commented, I have several G2s with Solar Force modules, a L2M and L2N with XM L2 U2 modules, but the one that is carried with the pistol is an old 6P with a Malkoff module... Dad always said to buy the best tools you can afford

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My 6P sits in my drawer and that's after I spent an additional $75 on it to make it even a carryable light.  I'll never sell it, as there's a good story behind me getting it, but it's big in the pocket, it's got that funky tailcap and with now three modes, it doesn't do anything for me that one of my true EDC lights (SWM V11R/EagleTac D25C Ti clicky) can't do at a fraction of the size

Different strokes.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You know, I tell folks all the time, If you have never had a 6p, the light that started it all, you really should.  The new LEDs are the classic ruggedness, confident feel, with a much increased life and light output.  

Sometimes you hit a homerun and around it an entire company is made.  That's the 6p.  

I have literally hundreds of flashlights but when it counts, its the 6p I grab.  Its not only a great hand tactical light but a great general purpose light.

Tj
View Quote

Well said.  While I might not carry them much, two lights I'll never part with are my 6P and C2.  Both host Malkoff M61 variants.  You can't get much more bulletproof and reliable than a Surefire host with a Malkoff drop in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey everyone currently I own an A2 aviator incandescent and a backup. I mainly use them at work and edc.

I am near Fort Lenoard Wood for a little while and found an outlet store near here that is selling some discontinued surefires.

I'll make a list of what they are selling, but wanted to ask you guys what you think I should get? Also want to see if these prices are any good.

Off the top of my head I remember they had A2 LED ($120) and incandescent ($70) I think a number of larger combat lights, kroma, a C3 Centurion and some random lights I had never heard of lol.

So what discontinued light would you guys want?!
View Quote

I wish I could say different, but I can't recommend anything Surefire sells right now. They make nice lights, but if you ever have to get it repaired you run the risk of experiencing what I am going thru right now. I have had a head in for repair since August.... At first they said they hadn't recieved it, then that it was there but not checked in, then radio silence until February when a buddy hooked me up with his own contact at Surefire and I was told that it would be looked into. Eventually the new contact told me I would be sent a brand new unit, then I followed up on that a month later and was asked for my address, still nothing.

I'm going to send one last email tonight and after that I'm done with Surefire for good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I would take a Fenix PD35 for EDC over anything Surefire has to offer. I EDC the UC35 daily now in my front right pocket. I know this not what the OP wants but it is an awesome light. I just sold off all but my last two Surefires. I have one pistol light and the L1 Lumax. I used to have many.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish I could say different, but I can't recommend anything Surefire sells right now. They make nice lights, but if you ever have to get it repaired you run the risk of experiencing what I am going thru right now. I have had a head in for repair since August.... At first they said they hadn't recieved it, then that it was there but not checked in, then radio silence until February when a buddy hooked me up with his own contact at Surefire and I was told that it would be looked into. Eventually the new contact told me I would be sent a brand new unit, then I followed up on that a month later and was asked for my address, still nothing.

I'm going to send one last email tonight and after that I'm done with Surefire for good.
View Quote

You're really the great exception to the rule, since SureFire's customer service is in line with Dillon's customer service by all accounts.  This is to say that they've pretty much sent you the parts before you hang up the phone and for free--as in they pick up the entire tab--shipping included.

I'm no SF fan and probably won't buy another SF light based solely on price and features, but I do recognize that they have really great CS.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Surefire used to be the bomb, and they were what started me on good flashlights.  10 years ago I bought one that almost immediately had a problem with the tail cap switch.  Called them up and they sent me a new tail cap.  Awesome!  Long story short, I sent one in last year.  Waited a few weeks before I called, "ok, we'll send it right out".  Another couple of weeks the same thing, we'll get it out to you.  Took 4 months and me getting pretty upset to get it back.  Between that and the "purge" of dealers that sold a light for a lower price than what they dictated (including my favorite dealer) left me swearing I'll never buy another.  

I do still have an L2, an L1, and a couple of other handhelds of theirs, but I never really use them anymore.  Just too big and less useful than my compacts.  I do have two of their Minimus headlamps.  They are awesome and I still regularly use them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$120 will get you a real nice LED light from someone other than surefire and have a LOT more output and run time.
View Quote

+1
I picked up a Fenix that had 960 lumens for half that and a mystery brand (UltraFire maybe?) with 1200 llumens with a battery and charger for $20 off Amazon.
Each had multiple modes and power levels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#18]
For that price on the A2 Aviators, I would scope them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top