Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 11:35:41 AM EDT
Buddie / gf & I will be headed up to northern NM middle of august. iv camped all over red river and cimarron canyon. Any spots a little off the grid that you recommend ? just looking to run up to northern new mexico and camp for a few days. do a little fishing / hiking
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Ever heard of the Valle Vidal? Its awsome. Big beautiful green mountains and valleys. Great fly fishin on the Rio Costilla and Comanche Creek. Shuree ponds and Latire Lakes are near as well.. its with in hours drive of red river so if u get bored you can head there. There are a few campgrouds mccrystal and cimmarron (close to shuree ponds). We usually just camp on national forest land along the rio costilla away from the campgrounds though.. also u can stay on the rcla for around 20 bucks a night..here is there link.
www.riocostillapark.com

Have fun!!!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a bunch. Iv always heard of the Valle Vidal never been. Ordered a topo map from BLM NM yesterday . I think im headed there! Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. In the evening's large  elk heards move into the meadows n graze. Awesome sight, bring your binos. I'm not sure but something to keep in mind, I think all waters in the valle vidal are artificial flies and lures only.  

Another nice place is Hopewell Lake, Placer Creek and Rio Vallecito. All near Tres Piedras.  

Both places have great hiking camping and fishing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Hermits Peak
Eagles Nest has good fishing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top