Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2010 11:38:19 AM EDT
Mine would be either the time I was stacking more canned goods on questionable shelving...and well....went to get the next bag and heard a bull doing a dance in the pantry......or this...

Fourth of July boo boo with a torch....

everyone has had them......admit it.........share.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Got tired of driving back and forth to work and paying $120 phone bills for local calls (pre-cellphone days) and left 20 acres 25 miles from town with well and septic to move back into town, then compounded the error by selling the land because I couldn't properly guard it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got tired of driving back and forth to work and paying $120 phone bills for local calls (pre-cellphone days) and left 20 acres 25 miles from town with well and septic to move back into town, then compounded the error by selling the land because I couldn't properly guard it.

ouch...
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thought a piece of property would wait for me this Summer.  On the market for two years! .  30 +/- acres for $32K,1.5 hours from home, 20 miles from nowhere, and had a fucking cave with a spring!

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm new to prepping, so only a small ut-oh.

Bought 3 gallons of bleach for water purification, and then found a thread the same day in the SF, that told me it only last a few months :)

Oh well, lesson learned.

Link Posted: 12/8/2010 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Doh...that had to sting a little. What area of the country?  

Quoted:
Thought a piece of property would wait for me this Summer.  On the market for two years! .  30 +/- acres for $32K,1.5 hours from home, 20 miles from nowhere, and had a fucking cave with a spring!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 2:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doh...that had to sting a little. What area of the country?  

Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

The upper most Northern corner of the South-East side of the lower Midwest. Four seasons, ground water, long growing seasons, hunting, fishing, & good people.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 3:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My "awe shucks" moment came when I realized that our farm could not stand alone. When I realized that if the neighbors, our friends, were taken care of, we would have a much bigger group and be in a lot better situation. That is when I realized that I am prepping for a lot more people than I originally intended. Now I accept that my stocks are going to have to be big enough to provide the staples to 30 to 40 folks. We have enough beef to feed an army. I have 10 buckets of rice and it seems like so little. I will get my wheat stocks up in the next couple months. I have a long way to go and my financial situation is much, much better starting in January.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
My moment:  Realizing how woefully unprepared I am.  I've been at this about a year now.  I could list a hundred things I have covered, and 300 I haven't.

Also, realizing the wife wont come all the way on board.  We have the most wonderful "hurricane" preps.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have not had that uh oh moment yet. But I have had the thank goodness. When business fell off so bad, no paycheck for a year,  I had to use food preps to supliment our menu.
Now im working elsewhere and rebuilding the pantry......Its not always about a TEOTWAWKI thing.

EDIT: I have to add. I recent moved back to SC from WV. This move made me realize just how little room my truck had for a bugout. I posted about it a while back. Its made me condense my "bug out by truck" plans.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Realizing that technology will not work under some conditions (dare we say the acronym?)   So, I now keep a non-LED flashlight with the LED ones and am working on a non-powered backup heat source for the house.   Among other things....

Same line of thinking is that guns work the same in freezing conditions as they do in warm weather.   My CMMG conversion and auto loading shotgun with bird shot demonstrated that the other day.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have any funny pictures or anything broken, but some practical lessons:

(1) Ask the wife if she wants new flooring in the basement BEFORE you put about 10,000 lbs of shelving and supplies on it .  I guess I'll have my annual inspection of gear and supplies as I'm moving it all early next year!

(2) Finding 100-200 sq. ft. of climate controlled space to put stuff is a little harder than expected.  Wanted to avoid having things stuck in closets, under beds and anywhere there's room all over the house.  Also wanted supplies near a window/door where it can be quickly loaded onto a trailer.  Turns out it's always in the way.  

(3) OPSEC.  Once you lose it, you can't ever get it back .

ETA: bought a brand new top-of-the-line Xantrex inverter to run off deep cycle batteries so I can use my laptop and gear on camping trips.  Wife wanted to hook it up in the car for the 8 hour drive (Mi-Fi cards are great, by the way).  Screaming kids, 100+ degree heat, having to work in a fully packed vehicle because we didn't plan ahead, me sweating like a (you know what) - got exasperated and just smacked the connectors onto the battery lugs.  <insert sizzling noise here>  I now have an "only used once" 2kW Xantrex inverter sitting in my garage that has a big warning on the back - "reversing polarity WILL damage the inverter."  Turns out that while Xantrex does have a warranty and repair service, they just won't ever respond to emails for people with small repairs.  

Lesson learned - temporary wiring still requires same due diligence and care as you would use in a permanent installation (fuses, clearly-marked positive and negative connections, etc.) - if not moreso.  Further, things that seem real simple under normal circumstances become difficult under minor amounts of duress.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Realizing this morning that my first aid kit is woefully underpowered for dealing with a real medical emergency.

Thankfully, this happened in a non-emergency situation, but still.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
When I first moved to town off of well water I picked up 10 walmart 2.5 gal containers and put on a shelf in the basement , EVERY one of them leaked with in 2 months . Ive forgotten Ive bought several things and ended up buying them again , which isnt to bad but I much rather spent the money on other preps that I was lacking in instead of doubling what I had.The good thing it prompted me to become more organized . I also found out the hard way a large wound takes alot of material to treat it over time . My now wife used to give me a hard time about how much medical stuff I had . Then we found out together when she had a pretty large wound we went through most of my large galls in about a week or so , now she grabs a few about every other shopping trip .

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Buying my home (where I plan to bug-in to if anything happens) at the absolute peak of the market. We've officially lost 1/5th of its value.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buying my home (where I plan to bug-in to if anything happens) at the absolute peak of the market. We've officially lost 1/5th of its value.

How about 2/3 's of its value like my house.  Instead of money for preps we had a fourth kids

Luckily decent job hows allowed me to continue the preps at a slow pace.  And I get discount medical supplies when they are no longer needed at work.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My moment:  Realizing how woefully unprepared I am.  I've been at this about a year now.  I could list a hundred things I have covered, and 300 I haven't.

Also, realizing the wife wont come all the way on board.  We have the most wonderful "hurricane" preps.  

Go on and make that list and share it if you want to.  For me, the first step to any goal is writing down.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
i've missed a lot of deals over the years, but sometimes it's hard to know how good a deal was until it's gone. other times it's something you wanted to stash some of and didn't have the budget. like $50 AK or AMD parts kits and PMs at they lower prices they were at until a year or two ago. or the low prices ammo was at until recently. not buying the nice AK74s that were available CHEAP before the ammo was available. same for the bolt gun that was available in 5.45.

buying a bunch of ALICE gear shortly before MOLLE became available.

not buying more $25 Surefire G2s when a local shop had them on sale.

not buying more 75W solar panels when i had the chance  to get them for a good price.

buying a house at the peak of the market, right before the crash. like the house and the location, but seeing similar homes sell for 1/3 hurts.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I just recently bought another 100 pounds of green coffee beans to put up.  When the UPS guy delivered it, I could smell that is was already roasted.  Yep, I hit the wrong button when I ordered.  Looks like everyone is getting some good Colombian Supremo for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Speaking of Silver, I at one point had 240 oz. of Silver that I owned at $8.15 an ounce, in a moment of weakness when I felt teh sky was fallimng I sold it. I thought I was gonna be buried by debt, so I let it got for $14.86 an oz. I made $1600+ but damn I regret that. Good thing I stiil have quite a bit but damn........
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I got married, then realized I was screwed for the rest of my life......

But all joking aside, She is a sheep. She does not get it. No matter how many different ways I try to explain things.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#22]
10 years ago the Mother-in-law had 5 acres, 4 acres were wooded, 50 miles from the mid size city and had to sell it because she was moving and she asked if I wanted it (as in Free, just pay the taxes), wife and I turned it down
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
10 years ago the Mother-in-law had 5 acres, 4 acres were wooded, 50 miles from the mid size city and had to sell it because she was moving and she asked if I wanted it (as in Free, just pay the taxes), wife and I turned it down

I just threw up in my mouth a little......what were you thinking?

Don't get me wrong....I know that when the MIL is involved....the attached strings can be brutal......but damn.......
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Compared to some I've seen, I guess mine wasn't so bad!  Mine was when I was relocating a bunch of canned goods from a walk-in closet I had been using to a new location I had prepared for keeping my non-perishables.  I found at least $500 worth of stuff that was well past the "best used by" date.  Mostly it was tuna and SPAM, so at least it didn't go to waste......the cats and dogs LOVED it.  I mixed it into their diet for over 2 months.  Now I pay a LOT more attention to my rotation plan.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#25]
1999, preparing for the end of the world as we know it.  Bought several hundred dollars of meals and 'soy' jerky from Lumen foods. Tasty stuff, or I wouldn't have bought it. Mostly TVP, but I ate the jerky constantly and it wasn't all that bad.  I packed, O2'd and nitrogen flushed 10 ea 5gal buckets of the stuff....

....only to hear the buckets exploding a few months later.  Seems they're a "bit" high in moisture content...and start with the mold not long after their expiration date since they were 'natural'.  I'd sealed the buckets with caulking, and not one of them blew the lid off...but the sides and bottoms are another story. Seeing a 5gal bucket looking like a balloon...priceless

Watching those buckets blow up, and take out the other buckets around them...well, hell. Definitely a cost involved there.

Only other 'oh, $h!t' moments have been the wife using all the canned sugar, oatmeal and 'other' stuff to bake cookies one christmas.  Hid all the bakable stuff after that so she wouldn't use it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1999, preparing for the end of the world as we know it.  Bought several hundred dollars of meals and 'soy' jerky from Lumen foods. Tasty stuff, or I wouldn't have bought it. Mostly TVP, but I ate the jerky constantly and it wasn't all that bad.  I packed, O2'd and nitrogen flushed 10 ea 5gal buckets of the stuff....

....only to hear the buckets exploding a few months later.  Seems they're a "bit" high in moisture content...and start with the mold not long after their expiration date since they were 'natural'.  I'd sealed the buckets with caulking, and not one of them blew the lid off...but the sides and bottoms are another story. Seeing a 5gal bucket looking like a balloon...priceless

Watching those buckets blow up, and take out the other buckets around them...well, hell. Definitely a cost involved there.

Only other 'oh, $h!t' moments have been the wife using all the canned sugar, oatmeal and 'other' stuff to bake cookies one christmas.  Hid all the bakable stuff after that so she wouldn't use it.

That wont be a problem anymore..
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I've made a few...

I've broken OPSEC in an effort to make neighborhood friends to the point where I'd probably have to bug out or be faced with a small mob

I had a chance to buy a pretty large quanity of stock for dirt cheap and didn't. About two months later, I would have been able to pay off all my debts including my house with my purchase.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't buy enough  ammo when it was cheap
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That wont be a problem anymore..

Nope...sure won't

I can start diggin and restockin shelves this sunday
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My "awe shucks" moment came when I realized that our farm could not stand alone. When I realized that if the neighbors, our friends, were taken care of, we would have a much bigger group and be in a lot better situation. That is when I realized that I am prepping for a lot more people than I originally intended. Now I accept that my stocks are going to have to be big enough to provide the staples to 30 to 40 folks. We have enough beef to feed an army. I have 10 buckets of rice and it seems like so little. I will get my wheat stocks up in the next couple months. I have a long way to go and my financial situation is much, much better starting in January.

THAT IS EXACTLY the SAME "Oh Shit" moment for me.  I realized that my family of 5 (3 boys + wifey) wouldn't survive squat.  We needed to bring in close extended family and close friend's families - a small community to survive.  Basic principle was division of labor and division of resources.  Not everyoen can do all the same things, like a 24/7 watch - 2 adults and 3 kids can't hodl watch 24/7, but a community with 40-50 adults can.  Same with labor - gathering firewood, water, other resources.  Plus those who focused on amassing certain resources can "bring things to the table" that will benefit everyone.  Also, a sizable group of people presents a formidable force when confronted with an aggressor or a large group of meandering thugs.

So...out the door went a plan for 4-8 AR-15's.  Now I'm planning for 50 rifles, 50, handguns, 50 shotguns, 10's of 1000's of rds of ammo, tons of dried foods, basic medical supplies, and other provisions & gear.  I'm not rich by any means and only at a mere 1% of the total stuff I think is needed - I've got to win the lotto to make this reality.  But the plan does involve convincing close relatives to amass similar as well as diverse resources.

In SHTF/EOTWAWKI, nobody is going to survive going it alone.  Not even a small group of 5-12 folks + children.  Its gotta be soemwhere between 30-60 adults.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought 10 of the 5L Jerry cans and they had dirty oil residue in them.  I flushed them out with what I thought was paint thinner but turned out to be lacquer thinner.  Some idiot re-used containers without changing the markings!   It made a mess of the enamel coating inside!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT IS EXACTLY the SAME "Oh Shit" moment for me.  I realized that my family of 5 (3 boys + wifey) wouldn't survive squat.  We needed to bring in close extended family and close friend's families - a small community to survive.  Basic principle was division of labor and division of resources.  Not everyoen can do all the same things, like a 24/7 watch - 2 adults and 3 kids can't hodl watch 24/7, but a community with 40-50 adults can.  Same with labor - gathering firewood, water, other resources.  Plus those who focused on amassing certain resources can "bring things to the table" that will benefit everyone.  Also, a sizable group of people presents a formidable force when confronted with an aggressor or a large group of meandering thugs.

So...out the door went a plan for 4-8 AR-15's.  Now I'm planning for 50 rifles, 50, handguns, 50 shotguns, 10's of 1000's of rds of ammo, tons of dried foods, basic medical supplies, and other provisions & gear.  I'm not rich by any means and only at a mere 1% of the total stuff I think is needed - I've got to win the lotto to make this reality.  But the plan does involve convincing close relatives to amass similar as well as diverse resources.

In SHTF/EOTWAWKI, nobody is going to survive going it alone.  Not even a small group of 5-12 folks + children.  Its gotta be soemwhere between 30-60 adults.

Just remember that many of those 50 or 60 adults will have hunting type rifles that will suffice very well. Not every encounter will require 50 AR's. Just having a basic firearm will be enough.

focus on food for those 50 folks and you will be much further ahead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine would be either the time I was stacking more canned goods on questionable shelving...and well....went to get the next bag and heard a bull doing a dance in the pantry......or this...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4783605986_b4650a0ce0.jpg

Fourth of July boo boo with a torch....

everyone has had them......admit it.........share.

married a psycho demon bitch from hell.......corrected 4 years later with eject button and a lawyer
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember that many of those 50 or 60 adults will have hunting type rifles that will suffice very well. Not every encounter will require 50 AR's. Just having a basic firearm will be enough.

yah....50 .30.30's  would not be somthing id want to deal with
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yah....50 .30.30's  would not be somthing id want to deal with

I'd rather deal with fifty iron sighted 30-30's than half a dozen guys with scope sighted bolt guns that they know how to run.

ETA: mine was monday night. The power went out, so I went in the other room to grab a lantern or two. The lanterns were ready to go with mantles already put on...then I realized that I'd taken all the propane bottles out to the shop.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Has several.  This one sticks out in my mind though.  

Testing out gear at a week long camp out.  Brought only 1 stove (and a couple sterno can's as backup).  

Well the stove broke day 1 when it took a dive off the back of the pickup bed and landed on the propane connector.  

Cold food for a week

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Testing out gear at a week long camp out.  Brought only 1 stove (and a couple sterno can's as backup).  

Well the stove broke day 1 when it took a dive off the back of the pickup bed and landed on the propane connector.  

Cold food for a week

not allowed build a fire?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold food for a week

It was in the middle of a 100 million year old dry lake bed.  The closest fuel was about 20 miles away
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold food for a week

It was in the middle of a 100 million year old dry lake bed.  The closest fuel was about 20 miles away

awww nuts.....doesn't quite cut it on that one.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cold food for a week

awww nuts.....doesn't quite cut it on that one.....

I saw a total of 3 bugs the entire week, and each time I was blown away at seeing something that was alive.  

If anyone wants to really test their gear I highly suggest it.  

Although have a way to get out if you have to.  Don't kill yourself testing yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top