Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:14:21 PM EDT
My local Gander Mountain has pulled all of their Honda 1000-5000 watt generators from the shelves.

Gander said that Honda has "recalled" them, and that they're being stored in the back waiting for instructions to either return them to Honda or repair them on site, but they don't know what the problem is.

The Last Recall on their web site, however, is April 2011 for a Japanese language only warning label on batteries.

Anyone know what's going on?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard anything, so consider this a tag

All four of my Hondas are in that size range (2x eu2000i, eb2500xk1, eb5000xk1) so whatever it is I hope it doesn't apply to all of them-that would be a supreme pain in the arse.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It may be an attempt by Honda to protect their local dealers.

Honda is kind of squirreley that way - They don't allow prices for their generators to be advertised on the internet, and they're not too keen on allowing service documents to be freely distributed, either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've only owned two, and they quit after less than a week.  I was unable to find service manuals for them.  Honda very much wants them to be disposable.z
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've only owned two, and they quit after less than a week.  I was unable to find service manuals for them.  Honda very much wants them to be disposable.z

Wow! What models did you have previously?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 2:42:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All four of my Hondas are in that size range (2x eu2000i, eb2500xk1, eb5000xk1) so whatever it is I hope it doesn't apply to all of them-that would be a supreme pain in the arse.

I was at Gander to buy my first eu2000i.

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had our Honda for over a year and it has been very dependable. I think they are  the best out there...except for price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We have a sizeable collection of Honda EU2000i genny's at work that get used on a daily basis, with regular servicing, they just run forever.

My only complaint about them is that the front panels all seem to crack over time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

wow nice drive by

you have any other info? You would be one of a handful from thousands of users.

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

protip: you have to put motor oil into the engine before running any generator.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#10]
My EU3000IS has been very reliable, with the only failure being the original Yuasa battery that died at 5 years. The recoil starter still worked just fine. If Honda DID have some type of problem I would expect them to be proactive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

amateurtip: you have to unscrew the little cap on top marked "fuel" and put in moar of it when they quit running.
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Right now Kawasaki has a major recall on their fuel filters. The filters are made by a supplier.

Possible Honda is using the same.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My local Gander Mountain has pulled all of their Honda 1000-5000 watt generators from the shelves.

Gander said that Honda has "recalled" them, and that they're being stored in the back waiting for instructions to either return them to Honda or repair them on site.

Some additional information from Gander ....

The "problem" is a hose clamp that when oriented improperly can cut an adjacent fuel line.  For now, this is apparently a voluntary recall that affects only the latest 50 state generators.  Last year's and earlier 49 state generators are probably unaffected.

This looks like a very simple fix, but the generators are still off the shelf awaiting instructions from Honda.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

amateurtip: you have to unscrew the little cap on top marked "fuel" and put in moar of it when they quit running.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unreliable Honda generators those words don't even go together.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Honda factory service manuals are very much available from HELM, one of the main service manul distributors. Not only did I get the EU2000i service manual for about $40, I even got an update to it in the mail a year or so later at no cost.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=AHP&Make=AHP&Model=GENE&Year=&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Does Gander Mountain carry the EU2000i Companion model? I have a $500 gift card burning a hole in my pocket!
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm calling BS on this one.  You want something to run long and strong, get a Honda.They outperformed everything of similar size during Rita, Katrina, and Ike.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does Gander Mountain carry the EU2000i Companion model? I have a $500 gift card burning a hole in my pocket!

Yes, pre-recall.

I assume they'll be back on the shelves once the hose clamp issue is sorted out.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

LOL.  I once bought a .22 revolver at a yard sale. It had 6 empties in it.  Guy couldn't figure out how to "refill" it.  No joke- some people.....

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I hope this does not affect me. I got my EU2000i in September last year, but no problems so far. It fires right up even with months-old gas treated with MMO and Marine Sta-bil.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

LOL.  I once bought a .22 revolver at a yard sale. It had 6 empties in it.  Guy couldn't figure out how to "refill" it.  No joke- some people.....

A couple of years ago my company hired a guy who had never worked on a computer. I had to sit him down to show him how to use e-mail, and his first question was where on his PC did the coin slot reside to buy the stamp to send the message
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#24]
My friends family lived off a Honda 5500 for 2 months after Hurricane Andrew. It ran 18+ hours a day with regular oil & filter changes. Never missed a beat. You can't beat a Honda!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top