Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 5:59:24 AM EDT
Lets discuss and develop some general requirements ....

Not for TEOTW but for a max six months survival.  Thanks Enigma for the reminder.

I'll try to keep a running summary on this page.

Water well
Access to wild games or raise rabbits/goats/etc
Land value/appreciation
Accessibility (Double edge sward), Stay away from primary and secondary roads (i.e., fed and state highways), Close to a small town, but not right next to it (e.g., 5 mi out).
Monitored security to know if BOL is secure before going there
Avoid military bases or other high value target locations. , Stay away from Nuclear power plants
Avoid HOAs and/or oppressive county governments that restrict building or tax the crap out of you.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally I would say you need steady water and food.  That probably means well water since you can't rely on a river/lake being clean when TEOTW comes.  And it means you need to have some protein around.  So either raise rabbits and goats or move into the trees where you have a shot at wildlife.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally I would say you need steady water and food.  That probably means well water since you can't rely on a river/lake being clean when TEOTW comes.  And it means you need to have some protein around.  So either raise rabbits and goats or move into the trees where you have a shot at wildlife.
View Quote

Good suggestions, but I should have added that it is for a few months survival and not the TEOTW!  I will edit the original post.  Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Resale value

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What state are you in. Makes a big difference. I live in MN. Water water everywhere. Just need to get away from people. Arizona: WATER SUPPLY is king.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Stay away from the Nuclear Power plants.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you get there reliably when SHTF, and what if someone is already there?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

How far?  and dont say as far as possible!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What state are you in?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Stay away from primary and secondary roads (i.e., fed and state highways).  

Close to a small town, but not right next to it (e.g., 5 mi out).

Since your time frame is only 6 months, I wouldn't be worried about soil quality and the ability to garden, but longer than that and you'll definitely want fairly decent soil to plant in.

Avoid HOAs and/or oppressive county governments that restrict building or tax the crap out of you.

Avoid military bases or other high value targets.

ETA:  RE:  Nuke fallout.  Check the following links, they lists nuke plants and likely fallout directions in case of an accident.

link

link 2
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

link 2
View Quote
I question this link. Shows a "nuclear attack" area of MY little farming town. I assure you, we are of no interest and I don't have a nuke plant in my town. There is barely a water treatment plant....

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
What to look for in a family BOL?

Nearby girl scout camp, or a women's institution of higher learning. [<<< sort of a oxymorman]

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What to look for in a family BOL?

Nearby girl scout camp, or a women's institution of higher learning. [<<< sort of a oxymorman]

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT for 2nd shift!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top