Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:10:43 AM EDT
OK, my usual CCW is a G27.  I have only carried the rounds in it.  I have been playing with the Ruger LCP also.  I have been carrying both, G27 strong side him, and LCP in right front pocket.  

I don't see myself carrying an extra mag for the G27 and the LCP.  Would you rather have more rounds for the Glock, or another pistol (admittedly 380) in another pocket.  As hot and humid as it is, I don't see myself carrying G27, mag, and LCP.

Doc

Leaning toward the 380, although admittedly lower power, if something happened to first, second is still an option.  (two is one, and one is none)
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the G27 and an extra magazine.  A .380 would be a hard sell for me.  There are a number of pocket 9mm options that are comparable in size to a lot of the .380s I have seen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would go with the G27 and an extra magazine.  A .380 would be a hard sell for me.  There are a number of pocket 9mm options that are comparable in size to a lot of the .380s I have seen.

Yea, I'm with this.  I swapped my pocket 380's (well, I kept the Colt Mustang Pocketlite..) towards my Kimber Solo.  9mm is MUCH more effective than 380.  But, I'd rather have a spare mag for a larger gun than a standard sidearm, a pocket gun, and no reloads.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would go with the G27 and an extra magazine

+1 on this

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK, my usual CCW is a G27.  I have only carried the rounds in it.  I have been playing with the Ruger LCP also.  I have been carrying both, G27 strong side him, and LCP in right front pocket.  

I don't see myself carrying an extra mag for the G27 and the LCP.  Would you rather have more rounds for the Glock, or another pistol (admittedly 380) in another pocket.  As hot and humid as it is, I don't see myself carrying G27, mag, and LCP.

Doc

Leaning toward the 380, although admittedly lower power, if something happened to first, second is still an option.  (two is one, and one is none)

I guess I'd agree with the two-gun solution.  If a magazine fails or runs dry, you can continue to fight with even a poor gun.  If a gun stops running and can't be cleared, you cannot continue to fight with only a magazine.

Of course, we're a little less humid here so I tend to carry a G19, a spare mag, a DB380 and a spare mag for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
and you need to carry two guns at the same time, why?

Just settle on 1 good pistol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The most common failure of a magazine feed weapon is always magazine related. If you drop your loaded 27 or even the loaded mag the baseplate may break shooting your ammo all over the floor. This really does happen leaving you with a single shot if you don't have a backup magazine.

I'd carry a spare magazine for the 27.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same reason you "need" to carry a single gun at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry the G27 with an extra mag, sometimes two, in my front pocket. its not that heavy and the two extra mags give mea total of 29 rounds including the mag in the gun plus one in the chamber which should be enough...
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have tried a number of pocket 9s, and one of them are small enough for pocket carry in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
My state only allows carrying one CCW.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have many guns as most of us. Including a xdm 3.8 40sw. but because I live in FL 99% of time I carry a lcp in my pocket. Because of the hot weather and the tee shirt and shorts lifestyle its hard to carry even a "sub".
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a G-19 with one extra mag. My wife carries an LCR .38 with one speed loader and one speed strip in her purse.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Summer carry is a m&p9c with spare mag. Winter carry is a m&p45 with spare mag. Of course winter weather in Texas is around 2-3 weeks so the 45 stays on the nightstand with a x300 attached.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Too many fat scumbags in the world.  I would never depend on a .380.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been carrying concealed for over 20 years; 9mm, .40S&W, .380 and J-frame Smiths.
I settled on a .380 Sigma when they came out in '95 - a very underrated and overlooked pistol. I've since switched to the Ruger LCP.

I choose the .380 for CCW because some pistols that chamber it are very easy to carry and conceal, plus it has more firepower than a 5-shot J-frame, not too mention that extra magazines are also easy to carry.
Larger calibers are more effective, but the guns chambered for them are necessarily larger and more difficult to carry concealed.

I almost always carry in a inside the waistband holster that I keep up front. I've found Uncle Mike's to be the best holster (for me) after I relocate the plastic clip to allow the holster/gun to ride deeper in my pants. No one ever sees my gun and it's easy to maintain control over it in a physical altercation. I switched from the S&W to the Ruger because it (Ruger) is smaller and can be easily carried in a pocket or wallet holster when I go to formal functions that preclude wearing a untucked shirt or jacket.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not familiar with the BUG concept, huh? A "New York Reload?"

There are a lot of good reasons to carry a second gun, one accessible to the weak or both hands. It's a reload, it's insurance against a malfunctioning primary gun, it serves weapon retention purposes on the primary, and several other good reasons.

OP, look into weakside pocket carry of something like a S&W 642 or a Kahr PM9.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I'd agree with the two-gun solution.  If a magazine fails or runs dry, you can continue to fight with even a poor gun.  If a gun stops running and can't be cleared, you cannot continue to fight with only a magazine.

The way I look at it, if I'm already shooting at someone, I don't have time to lose focus and diagnose why my primary gun stopped going bang and then attempt to fix that. Is it out of ammo? Malfunctioned? Broken? Magazine issue or gun issue?

Beats me, don't care. All I know is it stopped going bang and I need something that goes bang, right the fuck now. Second gun immediately gets drawn.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a bladetech holster for my P3AT which significantly helped my carry options - its so small it diappears under a t-shirt..  this has become my #1 method of carry now.  my glock requires a jacked for the same concealment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got a S&W Shield and it is an amazing pistol!
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Glock 36 with nite sights. Size very comfortable for carry. 7 rounds of .45 goodness!  Also very controllable and decent accurate compared to some of the little guns.  THEY will feel it when they get hit by the fortyfive hollowpts. !
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Depending on the time of year and clothing worn, I carry either a G19 or G26 on one extreme or a USP45 on the other. Since concealing the USP is about as easy as hiding a box of Wheaties, that tends to be more for winter carry

All of mine have green/yellow tritium sights, and mounted lights where applicable. Obviously I don't have a light on the 26. My EDC flashlight (a Surefire 6PX) and multitool ride on my weak side when I carry it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
i think a spare mag would be the way to go but if you went with a spare gun in the offside pocket... the little keltec PF9 is just barely larger than the 380 and yet hits much harder. I picked one up and have been really happy with it... great little pocketable handgun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Another +1 for the Glock and spare mag. You should be carrying a spare mag anyway, regardless of whether you are carrying the LCP too.

I have an LCP and it has its place, though I admit I have not carried it since I got my Kahr P9. The LCP is fine as a pocket pistol or BUG, but if it's an either/or situation always go with the biggest gun (in terms of caliber and stopping power) that you can carry.

Generally speaking, you really want to carry something 9mm or higher in caliber. A .380 is better than nothing, but a 9mm or above is better than a .380. Your objective is to end the threat. Personally I am not 100% confident in the .380's ability to do that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I rarely carry a second gun (or even a mag).  Though I own a 26 or 27 (whichever one is .40), I don''t find it easer to CCW than a 23 (compact 40).  Of course I have 13 rounds vs 9 in the 26.  However sometimes I do carry a S&W snub nose in a jacket pocket if I have a particular concern.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry the Glock with at least one spare mag (preferably two).
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
There are no pocket 9's. Period. Unless you run ghetto pants, you are not going to conceal a 9mm of any sort in a front pocket.
If deep concealment is needed, then carry a LCP. I carried one for years - it was utterly reliable and I could hit what I aimed at with it. A .380 FMJ has more than enough penetration to get to the vitals. I carried a reload in the opposite pocket.
Now that I don't have to worry about concealment as much, I carry a Glock19 with a G17 mag on the opposite hip. I have carried two guns at the same time in the past, but to be perfectly honest, a Glock with a spare mag should do it just fine. A BUG is nice in the sense that you can arm whoever is with you - but I think that scenario is a bit unlikely.
PErsonally, I'd suggest getting the absolutely best holster you can for your G27 and a mag holder for the opposite side. Carry a G22 or G23 mag as a spare. I've found that having a good belt and a good holster, eliminates a lot of issues when carrying a gun on a belt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Beat me to it again, Overscoped!

Its my personal belief that if you arent a cop, or federal agent, or need to carry weapons in your profession - whatever that may be - then you dont need to carry carry two guns. If you arent any of the above, and you truly believe that you need to carry two guns, then you probably shouldnt be carrying at all.

FWIW, I've run the gauntlet on CCW guns. I've carried big revolvers, and pistols, 1911s, Sigs and Glocks. My current fave is my Kahr MK9. Its rather heavy compared to other small pistols, but its just a hair bigger than a .380-sized pistol, but it fills my hand with REAL STEEL, and its made in USA.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Kibby, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but two things you should consider: 1. you're posting on a board geared toward being ready for what many consider unlikely and/or unrealistic (to them) events; 2. your list of "approved personnel for carrying two guns" is the same logic used by many people for carrying *any* guns - including their conclusion that you shouldn't if you think you "need" to.

Me?  I'm in QA.  I make my money showing people how their "error-free" stuff is broken six ways from Sunday.  I'm big on redundant systems.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
You need to carry a spare mag.
Good read on why to carry a spare...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/127082_Glock_21_Saves_Officers_Life__17_hits_with__45.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to it again, Overscoped!

Its my personal belief that if you arent a cop, or federal agent, or need to carry weapons in your profession - whatever that may be - then you dont need to carry carry two guns. If you arent any of the above, and you truly believe that you need to carry two guns, then you probably shouldnt be carrying at all.

FWIW, I've run the gauntlet on CCW guns. I've carried big revolvers, and pistols, 1911s, Sigs and Glocks. My current fave is my Kahr MK9. Its rather heavy compared to other small pistols, but its just a hair bigger than a .380-sized pistol, but it fills my hand with REAL STEEL, and its made in USA.

So what about a spare magazine? Is that OK?

Or a spare tire? Or more than one fire extinguisher in your house? Or a spare (unsubscribed, 911 only) phone in your glovebox even though you have a regular one that you carry?

Those are all stupid things that only professional troubleseekers should have?

If anything, somebody NOT involved in LE has MORE of a reason to carry a backup gun. They don't have body armor and 100 armed buddies one radio button away, and they're much more likely to be alone and not have another armed person there to help out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are no pocket 9's. Period. Unless you run ghetto pants, you are not going to conceal a 9mm of any sort in a front pocket.

The Kahr PM9/MK9 works find for pocket carry. I did it for a while in suit pants and khakis.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Kahr PM9/MK9 works find for pocket carry. I did it for a while in suit pants and khakis.

I may have made too general of a statement. We are all built and shaped differently. I've tried a PM9 and was not able to make it work in a business casual or casual environment with pocket carry. Due to the nature of my work, IWB or OWB is completely out of the question. Tried PF9, G26, PM9, DB9, P11 and a few others over the years. Never got to try the really pricey ones like Rohrbough etc.
P3at, P32, LCP and TCP's worked pretty good. Kept a NAA .22lr in the opposite pocket - later switched to a spare mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top