Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 3:29:09 AM EDT
My mom works a part-time job as a clerk for her friend's auction company so she is always getting good deals on stuff here and there.

I went home to visit them last week and she sent several large boxes of canned goods home with me (no idea how much she paid, but knowing her it was probably only $1-5 per large box).

She had already sorted through it and thrown out the stuff that was expired by more than a few months. So I have tons of stuff that is near expiration including LOTS of Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken soups. Any recipes or ideas to use some of this up?

Also, about 35% of what she sent is canned tomato juice with no listed expiration dates. The cans look to be in good shape; I'll probably make lots of chili soup and vegetable soup with it. Is this still safe even though there is no expiration? What would be some clues of it not being much good anymore if/when I open it?

Btw, all the stuff that was expired made great targets when I got together with some friends/relatives from home to go shooting.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has ever used cream of celery or cream of chicken soup before?

Nobody has recipes for it?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Put 3 large or 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts into a crock pot.  Cover with 1 can each of cream of chicken and either cream of celery, cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, or cheddar cheese soup.

Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
the chicken soup recipe is a basic
like others have said you can build on it.

my variant is if you like celery chop some up in it
also if I have a bunch I cut up corn tortillas into the soup
acts as a thickener and is a close copy of the tortilla soup you see sometimes
also can add beans if you want.
little bit of sour cream as mentioned

if you have more than you could ever use
put it on your local classifieds
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
There are lots of recipes on the Campbell soup website, and also try the minute rice website.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put 3 large or 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts into a crock pot.  Cover with 1 can each of cream of chicken and either cream of celery, cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, or cheddar cheese soup.

Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Serve over rice or egg noodles.

Google "casserole"

Or go to sites like AllRecipes.com and type Cream of Celery soup in the ingredients search box.

Or buy one of those $5 church fundraiser cookbooks.  Every other recipe will use cream of something or other soup.

kitties
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use cream of celery for my pork roasts:  One pork roast, one can cream of celery soup, 6-8 rough-chopped carrots, 6-8 rough-chopped ribs of celery, 3-4 chopped medium potatoes, one large chopped red onion, all in the crockpot on low for 8-12 hrs.  Starts off bland, but with a good basic flavor that you can spice up.  I have to cook bland initially because of my wife's stomach.

My wife cooks ham and beans with cream of chicken soup.  One pound dry beans, I prefer great northern or navy, soaked overnight and drained.  Throw them in the crockpot with a hambone, a can of cream of chicken soup, a little water, and maybe a chopped onion.  Low 8-12 hrs.  Again it has a good flavor, but no spice.  I add Sriracha or my own home-grown hot pepper powder to my bowl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top