Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/3/2010 3:32:58 PM EDT
I'm setting up another rod, and I'm slimming down my reel choices now. It will be going on a 9', 7 weight, St. Croix Avid.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:39:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:45:52 PM EDT
What type of fishing? I've got Bauer, Ross and Lamson. The Bauer and Ross Big Game get saltwater use, other Ross reels and Lamson see freshwater only. The Lamson is my preferred reel for trout.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:49:21 PM EDT
Sorry, it will be for freshwater use. Mostly steelhead and some largemouth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:49:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tuna92:
What type of fishing? I've got Bauer, Ross and Lamson. The Bauer and Ross Big Game get saltwater use, other Ross reels and Lamson see freshwater only. The Lamson is my preferred reel for trout.

What model Lamson?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:52:38 PM EDT
I use a Galvan 7 wt. for trout and sockeye salmon, trying it for coho (silvers) is a little too much like work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:54:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I use a Galvan 7 wt. for trout and sockeye salmon, trying it for coho (silvers) is a little too much like work.

I wish I had those kind of problems around here.

We've got wonderful steelhead fishing, but I'd really like to have more than one type of trout to pursue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2010 4:05:49 PM EDT by tuna92]
Originally Posted By IIRC:
Originally Posted By tuna92:

What model Lamson?

Litespeed 2

ETA: it has the smoothest and most consistent drag of any reel I own. I can play trout on 7x with it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:26:45 AM EDT
I use a Marryat for freshwater and a Catino for salt and brackish water.
Link Posted: 6/6/2010 8:38:23 PM EDT
I use bauer superlights for my freshwater trout....really is the smoothest reel in that price range but really cold winters can cause issues if you end up dunking your reel. I use lamson guru and velocity for steelhead in 7 and 8 wt and have taken many large fish with long runs...they seem to be holding up well except for one issue with the guru (same drag system as all 7-8 wt lamsons). I had the o-ring inside the cylinder cap wear out (the thing that holds the spool on). During some heavy reeling to take up line, I had the spool rubbing frame...really not a good sound! Lamson CS is great though since they just sent me a new cap no questions asked.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 4:44:05 AM EDT
depends on how much you want to spend.

this reel here has been awesome for salmon, usually will run you between $40-60 depends on where you get it.

Okuma slv

I can't say that I've ever gone that cheap with a reel before but after talking it over with a few guys that knew about them I picked one up. For the money it was a great reel. They also make a more expensive one that is pretty damn nice too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 8:40:02 AM EDT
I have owned, fished and sold many reels. What I have settled on is the Galvan Torque. I use the T-8 for my 7's and 8's because I like the slightly larger size. Most people would be happy with a T-7 for thier 7wt's. There are alot of choices out there and depending on your budget a Torque should be on your short list. FWIW, my reels survived 6 seasons of guiding steelhead before being serviced for the first time. That is three lifetimes for most reels and Galvan serviced them all and sent them back in record time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2010 2:04:35 PM EDT
Depends on what I am doing; I own reels from the following makers: Orvis, Galvan, Ari T'Hart and Abel. I have heard good things about Nautilus and was thinking of picking one up for my spey rod.

Link Posted: 6/11/2010 5:04:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Adder13:
Depends on what I am doing; I own reels from the following makers: Orvis, Galvan, Ari T'Hart and Abel. I have heard good things about Nautilus and was thinking of picking one up for my spey rod.

FWIW,

A friend is using a Nautilus on his Spey rod. He really likes it.

I have used Ross Canyons, Tibor and Galvans on my Spey rods. I won't use a Canyon again. The Tibor was very nice but the Galvan feels a little smoother to me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 5:56:12 PM EDT
I've got it narrowed down to three choices:

Ross Evolution

Lamson Litespeed

And the one I'm leaning towards, the Galvan Torque.

Do you guys know of any drawbacks to these reels or anything that makes one shine over the other?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 7:45:39 AM EDT
I've got it narrowed down to three choices:

Ross Evolution

Lamson Litespeed

And the one I'm leaning towards, the Galvan Torque.

Do you guys know of any drawbacks to these reels or anything that makes one shine over the other?

Thanks again.

I have limited experience with Lampson other than fishing them a couple of times.

For the most part Ross reels are a solid bet. I have an Evolution 3 on my 4 & 5 wts. I also have an original R1 on my 2wt. They are great reels and Ross is a great company to deal with. They machined new parts, no charge, for my R1 when the spindel pulled out of the frame. Not bad considering I bought the reel in 1985. For my purposes they are my go to company for my trout reels.

For steelhead I preffer the Galvan Torques. The start up inertia is as low as I have found on any reel. We fish 6, 8 and 10 lb tippet for steelhead. The Torque does a great job of protecting the lighter tippets. Add to that they are tough reels and you have a winner. I have guided on mine @ 6 years and only this winter sent them in for service. One drag was worn out and I thought the rest were fine. They rebuilt all the drags and replaced one frame, all at no charge. This puts them up there with Ross in customer service.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 1:13:53 PM EDT
Lamson Velocity. Bought it because I got it cheap from sierratradingpost.com and it was made in the USA. Kept it because it's designed great and has a pretty smooth drag. Mine is lighter than what you're setting up. Mine is on a 5wt.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2010 5:35:26 PM EDT by ggreen]
After my first fly fishing experience last weekend I went out and bought a Ross Flyrise 2 and a TFO Lefty Kreh pro 5wt 9' 4pc rod. This is what I will be using for trout.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:16:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:12:55 AM EDT
I ordered the Galvan Torque T8, and I've been anxiously awaiting it. It's on backorder for now, hopefully not too much longer.

Chromers are moving in to our Ohio tribs already and I really can't wait to try out my new rig.

Already ? Which trib?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 2:46:25 PM EDT by IIRC]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:44:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 583:
I ordered the Galvan Torque T8, and I've been anxiously awaiting it. It's on backorder for now, hopefully not too much longer.

Chromers are moving in to our Ohio tribs already and I really can't wait to try out my new rig.

Already ? Which trib?

A guy I know on another site sent me a couple pics of a steelhead he pulled out of Conneaut. I've seen a few pics of other chromers on a couple other websites that I don't believe were faked in any way. An east side flyfishing guide has posted a couple pics of different fish that he's found also. Anything I've seen has been pics from the east side.

I know it's still pretty early, but I'm ready to go.

We need rain bro.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:24:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2010 5:48:39 PM EDT by 583]

Already ? Which trib?

A guy I know on another site sent me a couple pics of a steelhead he pulled out of Conneaut. I've seen a few pics of other chromers on a couple other websites that I don't believe were faked in any way. An east side flyfishing guide has posted a couple pics of different fish that he's found also. Anything I've seen has been pics from the east side.

I know it's still pretty early, but I'm ready to go.

We need rain bro.

You ain't kidding around. I stopped by Vermilion today and couldn't even tell if the little bit of water that was there was moving. One bag of oil dry might have soaked up what was left of the river.

The Grand fishes best between 300 and 600 CFS, although I've killed the in as little 120 CFS.
Top Top