Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 6:59:32 PM EDT
I've paddled around a little but am just now getting a general purpose canoe.
I haven't been happy with the loaned life jackets that I've used before between them being hot and/or restricting movement.
Anyone have a suggestion for the best compromise for use in a canoe?
I searched canoe and turned up nothing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the type that fishermen have, the close fitting jacket type rather then the mae west. You need freedom of movement to paddle.

RS
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Extrasport RetroGlide Avenger when I kayak.

I keep my P3AT in the clamshell pocket on the front.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Really you should head to a shop that sells certain PFD's along w/ the watercraft that is similar to yours, set down in the craft on the showroom floor and see whats comfy for you

Ultimately it's about time in the saddle and the PFD that's on you at all times/comfort level.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
they have special paddler/kayak vests.

They generally have a few smaller foam float blocks or a bunch of tubes.  The arm holes are generous and often there is a lot of flat mesh or material in the action areas.   They're generally shorter too for allowance for sitting inside a kayak.

They do give floatation but often I think their weak point is failing to float an unconscious person face up.  They're more directional neutral rather than face up positve.  IIRC the generic fishing style ones I have are neutral.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I use this when I am in the kayak. It has good freedom of movement. I have no problems wearing it while fishing for several hours.
I like yellow for better visibilty in the yak.
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STR6601&k=78029
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Great information, a friend has been trying to get me to go kayaking. I told him I need floatation before getting into it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Mustang survival gear. Zip up front with pockets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top