Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2014 5:30:02 PM EDT
What odd things do people ask you about ham radio? Talking to a friend about getting into it. He's a pretty technical type person and after telling him about contacts overseas and such he asked "How do they know when to answer the radio when you call?"
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Every time they ask, "What do you talk about?".
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I say farmville and cat memes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've gotten the 'ol "can you talk to the moon?" I say yes just to mess with them, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've gotten the 'ol "can you talk to the moon?" I say yes just to mess with them, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
View Quote

I'd be temped to ask them who do you think is going to answer the radio on the moon when I call?

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I generally answer this with "Anything but religion and politics. It's really quite refreshing."
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it is a good think people don't me that. I would say something that would get me in trouble like "how we plan to overthrow the government" or "the upcoming rebellion". Of course the people that would ask that really wouldn't be put off by it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
My friends ask me all the time if they can be a guest on my radio show.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

What's the food in the green room like?

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No food, just beer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
"Can you talk to (name of town 15 miles away)?"

"People still do that? (ham rado)  We have cell phones and internet now."  As if to say, oh, how quaint.

I reply "Yes.  Do you remember not that long ago when Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and then
Hurricanes Gustav and Ike kicked our butts... did your cell phone work?  Could you call out of town?
Did your internet work?  Could you send emails?  No?  Ham radio still works after all that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If I'm a fireman or what fire house I work at.

I have never been a fireman, but I must have a serious firefighter vibe. As I get older it doesn't happen much, but it used to happen regularly (and in many different places).

ETA didn't notice forum... Never mind
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
people don't talk to me
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

We send pictures (SSTV)

or do propagation testing (JT65)

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, "Who do you talk to" and "what do you talk about"
I try to explain it like talking to someone at a ballgame or something.  Someone with a common interest that you might otherwise not be talking to.
Plus, there is much more to ham radio than that!    Talking is just a small part.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Future father in law is legitimately curious about it and I think he wants to get into it for the safety/security/emergency comms aspect, but sometimes he points out how silly things are and sound. We were talking about moonbounce, and this gem came out:
Could you bounce it off the Super Moon and hit Saturn? Go under the ring?
View Quote

At work one day:
Your car has more antennas that my command HMMV, what are you doing with all of them?
View Quote

I told him "Yeah, they just keep growing, almost like rust, as soon as I get one taken care of, another comes up. I'm almost about to give up."

Recently, while playing with my car install, the neighbor walks by:
Is that a shortwave antenna? Wow, that's an old hobby. You don't see that very often anymore.
View Quote

Best part is that he was walking out of the state park behind my house, and didn't notice that I've got a 135ft OCFD up in the backyard, lol.

General question that's always hard to answer, and I've yet to come up with a good response:
Who do you talk to?
View Quote

This one I'm good at:
What do you talk about?
View Quote

I always say "How the Russians are taking over the west-coast, aliens, a lot about guns. But mostly about cars, women, antennas, and the weather -- It's like a knitting circle, but less formal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I generally talk about how awesome I am, how smart I am, how bad others stations are and how badly they spent their money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I generally talk about how awesome I am, how smart I am, how bad others stations are and how badly they spent their money.
View Quote

Wait, wrong forum  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]

i usually tell them that with these newfangled radios you can hear people's thought waves.  
and that i have been "listening" to the lesbian neighbors.  and i know why they buy lots of honey.

that's a conversation starter right there...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]
"why are you so quiet?"

because I'm on the autism spectrum, bitch
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must be one hell of a GameMaster.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i usually tell them that with these newfangled radios you can hear people's thought waves.  
and that i have been "listening" to the lesbian neighbors.  and i know why they buy lots of honey.

ar-jedi

View Quote

Winning!

"Hey honey...we got any...errr...honey?"
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I normally don't get interesting questions. Mainly, people just want to tell me about the time they drove cross-country and they played on their dad/grandpa's CB radio.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
" What's KMG365?"

"What's a pileup and what causes it?" Me: "Sorta like when I was a kid and my stepmom keyed down on my dad's CB and said "Break 1 9, this is a beaver".
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

View Quote

You remind me of....ME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top