Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2011 5:42:31 PM EDT
Ive been thinking about building some sort of mobile portable antenna mast with a 2 inch receiver to set off the back of my truck/jeep or trailer . Right now I keep a mil tent pole kit under my tool box that will get me up almost 40 feet but it require guy wires that high and doesnt go up as quick as I would like . I was thinking about building a 2 inch extension that goes up to the height of my  truck roof rack and have a swivel so I can lay it down across the top of the cab . If I build the mast myself I was going use a section of 12' 3 inch aluminum in a piece of 6" 24' piece of aluminum for starters. If that felt stable enough I was going to go up higher with some fibrglass . Well I went to pick up a piece of 6' stock today and there was none do to thieving scrappers so that killed that plan . So is there any thin on the market that will not kill the bank  that I could hang a 80m 14 gauge dipole off of and a 2m/440 jpole above it .  I go camping alot and want to play with my radio stuff but some camp sites are hard to set up a guyed mast.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
These are in 10ft sections, but they make one that uses 6ft sections for shipping.
Rohn telescoping masts
ETA–– I have a 40ft version extended to 33ft. It's attached to the house at 10 feet leaving 23ft freestanding. I have a 40m OCF dipole and 2m/440 ground plane on top. The 20ft version should do fine freestanding with that light load.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Find an old AB155 military mast kit or:

http://www.tmastco.com/main/page_products_mast_sections.html

I use a dual band dipole for HF (80 and 40) and top it with an old Hygain Th2 two element tribander for 10-15-20. It works great.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
DX Engineering has a kick ass 65' telescoping aluminum mast for under 200 bucks. Depending on how well the bottom is secured...it will get way up there without guying it.

I have a 40 mast up, using the bottom 40' of the 'kit' to suport an inverted L. I put 6' of pvc pipe down inside the top end of it and have about 6' sticking up above the top. I figured the separation would help keep any coupling from occuring. It requires no guys and the bottom is mounted onto an 8 foot 4x4. I use a top and bottom ratchet strap to secure it to the side of my RV.

I use the top 25' seperately for a portable vertical in conjunction with an SC-230 antenna match.

Both work really well.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=2550&PLID=280&SecID=137&DeptID={28CBC4E4-F689-4618-9B6A-47B89A8F4DCA}&PartNo=DXE%2DATK65
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The DX engineering mast is designed to be a verticle element for an antenna, NOT a mast.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
One of these

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The DX engineering mast is designed to be a verticle element for an antenna, NOT a mast.

I realize that, but it works just dandy as a portable mast if one only uses the lower 40' or so. 40' feet up, it's still about 2 1/2 inch dia tubing. It's not gonna hold an 80 meter yagi and rotator....but it works just dandy to get a wire antenna up.

I use the top 22' section as a vertical, but it's seperated from the lower part.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]

I wonder what the wind-load rating on that is?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Try a WonderPole.  The base plate fits under your tire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top