Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2008 4:11:08 PM EDT
I'm looking at picking up a 22lr pistol and rifle and I have an idea on the rifle I want a Ruger 10/22 but the pistol I don't have a clue on. I have looked at the Sig Sauer Mosquito cause I own two Sig's and love them but I'm open to anything else.

Edited to add: What type of bolt action 22 do you think is best if your not trying to spend to much?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Boy there's a lot to be said for the 10/22...but...I gotta brag on my Marlin 25N
7 shot magged bolt action 9X scoped TACK DRIVER.
I just put 2 shots in a Groundhog at 65 yds standing freehand.
I've never owned a more accurate rifle. 22 or otherwise.

Pistol....Browning Buckmark....something like this one:gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100340752
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my ruger single six, with an extra 22 mag cylinder. Shoots all brands of ammo great, plus shotshells.  22 autos are very good for plinking, training & other chores but just don't have the utility of a good wheelgun. BTW, of course, I own several 22 autos with the wheelie.

can't go wrong with a 10/22, but be careful not to get sucked into the vortex of turining a $200 rifle into a gun with $500-1000 worrth of add ons. I guess if that's what you want, ok, but I just can't justify a rimfire gun costing more that a good basic AR.(even with the diffrence in ammo price)
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going to get just one pistol, it should be a Ruger or a Buckmark.  They are made to last.  

The Walther .22 is an inexpensive and handy little gun, but the overall quality cannot be compared to the above.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger MKI or MKII. These are about the only firearms you never hear about having issues. My MKII has a good 10,ooo rds thru it and is super smooth and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for Browning Buckmark.  Then either a Marlin or Ruger for the rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like my Ruger 22/45. I would like to get a Marlin 39A for a rifle at some point.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO    Ruger 10/.22 rifle   and Ruger  mkII   .22 pistol are the best . I`ve  owned these for many years and both are very reliable , and are very accurate. these are the only ones I would buy in the future
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
the "best" .22's?  I don't think that can be answered.  It'll depend on your criteria.  I've done a fair bit of time behind various Anshutz match rifles.  They'll reliably place 10 bullets in the same hole at 25M, and more, day in and day out.  Usefull for SHTF? Hardly.  

It's pretty hard to beat the utility of a Ruger 10/22.  There are better built rifles.  And more accurate rifles.  But for all around usefullness  the 10/22 is hard to beat.

As for pistols there are generally two recommendations.  Those are the Rugers (Mk II or 22/45) and the Buckmark.  I tend to favor the .22/45.  I like the common placement of buttons since I'm a 1911 fan.  And the plastic frame sae weight.

I do have another pistol recommendation.  Smith and Wesson model 63. Little j frame revolver woth 4 inch barrel, stainless, in .22.  Reliable, accurate and very very nice to carry.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
ruger 22/45 5.5" bull barrel target model, and 20" barreled 10/22 with firesights.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
By a VERY large majority you will either hear Ruger or Buckmark. I've shot both (At the same time ) and truly and honestly its "the same thing!".

I went with a Buckmark because of the horrid stories I've heard in regards to cleaning a Ruger. Also, the barrel is a separate piece from the upper so you can easily replace the barrel with another as opposed to the one piece Rugers.

So, I would say Buckmark but you wont go wrong with a Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the 10/22 and Mk II Ruger's.  Boring, but dead nuts reliable.

As much as I would really REALLY love the mosquito to be a good pistol, they STILL get poor reviews routinely online.  That is really a shame, as Sig seems to be throwing away a golden opportunity.  There are a very many people who would love the sig if it were a decent pistol.

I know I would.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
As for the rifle I would go for the Marlin M-60. You can pick up a good used one for about $125.00 or less. They hold 18 rds in a tube and are very accurate. The only weak point I see is the tube and you could have a replacement on hand or I'm thinking about adding on a plastic sleeve to protect it. Keep your powder dry!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I gotta say.... Beretta gets about as much love on here as they do at the last few gun shows I have been to.

I have a Beretta Neos and have not had a problem to date.

ETA: as for rifles, I like my Browning take-down and my Iver Johnson .22 carbine.

Link Posted: 5/25/2008 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok you said "best"  but it's posted in Survival so we'll take it along those lines.  

Best rifle: Ruger 10/22 hands down.  
Reasons: MILLIONS of them around.  More accessories than any other .22.  Extremely reliable.  Can be made very accurate.  But spare parts and reliability are the deciders here.  no questions asked.

Best Pistol: Ruger 22/45 or Mark II.
Reason: Reliability.  I have several .22 pistols.  Sig Trailside. Sig Mosquito. Ruger Single Six, Ruger 22/45, Buckmark, Beretta tip up, Some generic revolver.

none of them are as reliable as my 22/45s.  Lots of aftermarket support for them.  VERY simple action.  I could make parts for it with a file and bar stock.  Very accurate but back to reliable for a survival situation.

the pistol is more subjective than the rifle but it's still pretty clear.  .22's are one of my favorite guns. I have lots and lots of them and I always come back to the ruger stuff.  They are just well built.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another vote for the 10/22 and Mk II Ruger's.  Boring, but dead nuts reliable.

As much as I would really REALLY love the mosquito to be a good pistol, they STILL get poor reviews routinely online.  That is really a shame, as Sig seems to be throwing away a golden opportunity.  There are a very many people who would love the sig if it were a decent pistol.

I know I would.

Doc

I have read a few reviews on it also and most that I saw where people crying about how the slide would not go back all the way on them. But I also read a review on them that talked about how people would use dirt cheap 22lr ammo with there SIG and it does not have the recoil to push the slide back and that SIG only recommends CCI Mini Mag ammo for there pistol.

Now that I write this I'm thinking the SIG would not be a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 10-22 and a mk3

I have problems with the 1022 jamming
the mk3 is perfect

If I were gfetting a 22 pistol and rifle for shtf it would be a ruger single six and a cz452 with peep sights. Be able to reliably take game etc.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
For SHTF I would get a 22LR revolver - can shoot a variety of ammo.

Taurus 94 or Smith & Wesson 317
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Pistol - Browning Buckmark

Rifle - Savage Mark II.  Plenty accurate enough.  I spent $125 on mine several years ago and have never regretted it.  The only bad thing I cna say about it was the el cheapo 4x scope that came with it.  Put a good Burris on it and again, have never looked back
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had both the rugers (MK1 and MKII) and Browning buckmark, for a survival pistol I would choose the Ruger anytime over the Browning. Don't get me wrong, I Loved the gun, but the Browning was not as reliable as the Ruger and what I like isn't very important in a survival situation. If I was choosing a revolver, Ruger single six would be my choice. Somebody help me out and see if my logic holds, I worry about the swinging cylinder design on double action revolvers being a weak point, If something gets bent, you have problems. Don't ask me how I know... I don't even remember how I did it, I think I fell on it.

Rifle, CZ 452 is hell for stout, If you want an auto, Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 for Ruger 10/22. Suggestions for the Ruger Mk II and Ruger Single Six also good and I have no complaints about the Buckmark. If you get a Single Six get the SS convertible model with the 22 MAG cylinder. Store the 22 MAG cylinder and a box of 22 MAG ammo in your backpack. Here's my .02...

If cost is no object for your 22 handgun:

- First choice S&W J-frame 22LR 3" bbl HiViz target sights. The best kit gun around!

- Second choice full size Kimber 1911 with an extra Kimber 22LR slide. Take off the 45 ACP slide, wrap it and tuck it in your backpack with several loaded 45ACP clips. Put on the 22LR slide and call it your "22 handgun"

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Remington 597 .22LR rifle. Many who know more about 22 shooting than I say it is more accurate than a 10/22 off the shelf. I happen to like it very much, there are some issues with old mags that have been solved with the new generation. It doesnt have the assortment of extas a 10/22 has, but its a very accurate shooter, and reliable 30 round mags are now available. I have seen plenty with silencers as well. --Just for your consideration.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My 22/45 is not all that accurate and has bouts of unreliability.  The Buckmark in my experience is a little better in both regards.  I have had better experiences with revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#24]
i'm taking notes on the pistol as i don't have one yet.  good info here.

i'm an outlier on the rifle.  i have a model 61 winchester pump .22 that was my dad's and he gave to me when i was 16.  i can't count the tens of thousands of rounds i've put through it.  never jammed, never refused to fire, or extract a spent shell.  point being, there are a lot of good reliable .22 out there that are slightly different than the ruger.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#25]
My 10/22 and mk 2 have served me well. I have one of those Romanian training .22 rifles I picked up form J & G guns years ago. That sure is one accurate and bomb proof .22 for the 60 bucks I paid for it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Buckmark
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Boy there's a lot to be said for the 10/22...but...I gotta brag on my Marlin 25N
7 shot magged bolt action 9X scoped TACK DRIVER.
I just put 2 shots in a Groundhog at 65 yds standing freehand.
I've never owned a more accurate rifle. 22 or otherwise.

Pistol....Browning Buckmark....something like this one:gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100340752

That is exactly my choices.

I want a 10/22, to get an aftermarket folding stock for a more compact piece.  It would be a backup to the Marlin, however.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#28]
There's much to be said for the 10/22. The biggest dislike I have for it is the trigger which sux. An easy fix with a good after market trigger or a litle stoning by a competent smith. As far as pistol the ruger again gets my vote. I have an old ruger standard that's prob close to fifty years old, bought second hand, doesn't have a lick of bluing left on it and looks like it has been used to drive nails in place of a hammer. The gun still runs flawlessly. Is accurate and still dependable after who knows what was done to it. I admit I have a Beretta Neos. Accurate and dependable? Yes, do I think that it could withstand almost 50 years of that kind of abuse and still remain that reliable? Probably not.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Best is a thing of relativity.  

22 Pistol,

I have many.

The one's that gets shot the most now days are the Walther P22's.  They seems to be the one that the kids or I take out of the safe the most.

I would not call them the best, others tend to be more expensive and will be shooting long after the P22 has melted away.  Many are more accurate and some are prettier. But it is cheap fun to shoot and fits the hand well.

As for a 22 rifle.  

I have an old Marlin 39-A. must be 50-years old now.  got it when I was 14 and it was used then.  You would need a couple of 2.5-ton truck to carry all the ammo that has gone through it.  Stock is cracked from when I rolled my FJ-40 in high school and the bluing is all gone, the front site has been missing for maybe 20-yrs.  It has a no name scope on it for the last 30-yrs. But it is the one that goes shooting every week and the other 10 or 15 stay in the safes.

Best is hard to define.  But those are my favorites.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got back from putting about 400 rds. through my 10/22. I believe it was made in 1969 or 70 and is the most accurate stock 10/22 I have personally shot. It has achieved sub .5" groups regularly with Wolf MT. Today I sighted in the iron sights for the very first time. The light was failing and my eyes are not the greatest and I could easily hit a 1" dot 5 times in a row. Nothing special, but not bad for the sucky irons.

The pre 1976 models have double top rails and are anodized instead of painted. They are worth $200 if you can find one at the gun show. None of the modern versions are worth that kind of money. The double rails make the reciever stronger, keep the bolt from riding on the side of the receiver so there is less friction, and the components are better quality. I reprofiled the firing pin to a standard chisel point with softened edges, I head spaced it, I put a slightly larger radius on the back/bottom of the bolt so it would run match ammo more reliably, installed a buffer, reset the angle and depth of sear engagement on the hammer, polished the rub surfaces on the face of the hammer and lower radius, and I modded the bolt hold open to automatically release when you pull the bolt.

For you, start with a VQ hammer and worry about tinkering later. It will make you a happy guy.

My Butler Creek hot lips mags function more reliably that the stock 10 rounders. They took approx. 200 rds. to break in, and then they really started to shine.

I am partial to the Mk II or III. Dead nuts reliable and way more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]
My favorite 22 I ever shot was a glock 17 with a ciener in it. My favorite 22 rifle is my ciener equipped bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll throw out a couple of less traditional ideas.  For a 22 rifle I like the Browning Take-down 22 semi auto.  Lighter and much more compact than a 10-22, plus it breaks down to stow in a backpack.  Also, the tube magazine can't be lost and is protected in the butt stock.  Very reliable, and millions of them have been produced by both Browning and Remington.  Don't get me wrong, the 10-22 is a great rifle and I have several of them, but I would rather carry the Browning.

For the pistol, I would choose a S&W 41 semi auto or a High Standard Trophy or Citation.  They are both a little pricey, but they are very reliable and incredibly accurate.  The magazines for both are also very well made and will last a lifetime.  Like I said, probably not the most popular recommendations, but they're what I like.  No matter what rifle or pistol you choose, a set of Wolfe replacement springs and several spare mags are cheap insurance

ETA, the Browning Take-down is also bottom eject and ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Buckmark and 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I have several other 22's, but I usually shoot a 10/22, a 77/22, or a Mark II.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Buckmark and 10/22.

Hey you stold my answer
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Stay away from the Walther P22. I have one and its notoriously unreliable..
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Stay away from the Walther P22. I have one and its notoriously unreliable..

same. Mine was a jamomatic. I got new mags for it and it's better now but nothing like the Rugers.

oh and then there was the time I was shooting it and the slide blew in half,  and almost hit me in the head,  completely flying off the gun.  

other than that and the fact the safety is backwards (up and forward to fire,  down and back for safe) and the fact that it's not accurate at all, it's a fine gun.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Push comes to shove, I'll take a .22lr revolver over a semi.  My old High-Standard Double-Nine has 9 shots, is very accurate in SA, no mags to break/clean/lose, no takedown needed, easy cleaning, hardy construction, can cycle any ammo - even primer-only.

Rifle - I love my 10/22 just like everyone else does.  But out of my 4 22 rifles, my second favorite is my kids' Savage Cub with the AccuTrigger and peep sight..  It's almost like shooting a long single shot 22 target pistol.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#39]
i own a buckmark and 2 ruger mk3's and in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

regards 6
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Marlin 39A hands down for the rifle.  A 10/22 is OK, but I think if more people tried the 39A it would be more popular.  With the short throw of the lever you can really send some rounds downrange and accurately.  A good 10/22 with a bull barrel and heavy stock is fun tho.  As above poster said, my kids Savage Cub is a blast to shoot squirrels in the barn with....  for such a small rifle it is very accurate at close 22 ranges....  I have not tried it beyond 50 feet.

For a handgun I would be happy with either a Ruger MK II with a 4 inch barrel or my old H&R 9 shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a little bit different opinion.

As the others have said.  Ruger 10/22 for the rifle.
The pistol, however would have to be the Colt Diamondback.  Just be ready to shell out the bucks for one.  Revolver is reliable as anything, and this particular model is as accurate as they come.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#42]
10/22

22/45

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Thank God no one has said the P22 and GSG-5.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if I had to use my .22 pistol for anything more serious than plinking (like gathering food, or god fobid, defense) I would rather carry a 10 shot S&W 617 than I would a buckmark. I have had way to many failures with my buckmark to trust it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Push comes to shove, I'll take a .22lr revolver over a semi.  My old High-Standard Double-Nine has 9 shots, is very accurate in SA, no mags to break/clean/lose, no takedown needed, easy cleaning, hardy construction, can cycle any ammo - even primer-only.

those are pretty decent shooting revolvers, just never shot or could reload mine as good/fast as I can my 22/45.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Well... my bullet hose 22 is one of these, lol:

Once I fixed it's extraction issues, its chucks a lot of bullets roughly where I want them to go as fast as I can pull.

If TSHTF, my wife gets it for riding shotgun in the vehicle.  She may not hit anything, but she'll sure as hell feel like she's contributing.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm not the expert that some here are but I really like the Marlin Model 60 22lr rifles.

I like them so much that I've bought 6 of them this year so I can take friends & relatives shooting and have enough to share!

The good thing is that you can get them cheap - the last one I bought was $65 out the door at a pawn shop, and it was scoped!

I also have a Ruger 10-22 and love it, but...the Marlins are cheaper and just as good IMO, maybe better if you're not into customizing them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm not the expert that some here are but I really like the Marlin Model 60 22lr rifles.

I like them so much that I've bought 6 of them this year so I can take friends & relatives shooting and have enough to share!

The good thing is that you can get them cheap - the last one I bought was $65 out the door at a pawn shop, and it was scoped!

I also have a Ruger 10-22 and love it, but...the Marlins are cheaper and just as good IMO, maybe better if you're not into customizing them.

I agree that the Marlin Model 60 is a good quality rifle. The problem that I see is the trigger mechanism is very, very hard to tune up. You can drop a $15 aftermarket hammer into a 10/22 and make the trigger 100% better. Often dropping it from 5 to 7 lbs., down to 3 lbs. without any other effort.

Someone who knows what they are doing could make the 10/22 into a tremendously nicer rifle to shoot in a matter of 2 hrs. With stock parts, it can be made to run match ammo, cycle much smoother, extract and eject flawlessly, and possibly shoot more accurately due to proper head spacing, proper firing pin profiling, and pinning the firing pin so it always hits the same spot. I don't buy new hammers, but change the original in ways that makes it better than the Volquartsen. The only thing I buy for all my 10/22's is a buffer.

Both my nephew and I got model 60's for our first guns. I learned well before he was born about how much better the 10/22 really was. When his dad bought him the 60, I didn't say anything, but it became painfully obvious that his dad wished he had bought a 10/22 so I could tune it for his son. He gets decent accuracy from it, but it will never even come close to being the smooth shooter that my 10/22's are.

I am pretty sure that my nephew will end up with a 10/22 pretty soon.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#49]
i have a 10/22, P22, and a marlin model 990DU. all have been good guns. the P22 is one of the early models when they first came out. i was on a waiting list to get one. i did have some problems with the safety dropping from fire to safe but other than that the 5" barrel is a tack driver for a hand gun. if you really want something neat, get a 10/22 and the 10/22 pistol. then you only need to buy one style of mags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#50]
10/22 for the rifle.  I only have a P22 for the handgun so far.  It's fun, but the 22/45 seems like a much better gun.  I bought the P22 for my wife, in the hopes that I could get her to go shooting with me more often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top