Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 5:57:31 PM EDT
Looking for a better solution to carry all my stuff whille coyote/small gamin'. Using a former backpack of my son's but its not holding up too well. Went to my local surplus store today and a med. alice pack looks like it would fit the bill, but everything they had was torn, missing parts or had some unknown and don't wanna know, kinda' funk inside. I'll keep checking there.

So, what do you guys use? Post up pics and lets see your ideas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:08:25 PM EDT
older alice packs tend to rip a lot. how much do you carry. i got the voodoo tactical 3day assault that is very heavy duty and it looks small but you will be surprised what it will carry
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:48:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By countryboyny:
older alice packs tend to rip a lot. how much do you carry. i got the voodoo tactical 3day assault that is very heavy duty and it looks small but you will be surprised what it will carry

Not tons but enough, Electronic call, decoy, rope, thermos or water,  ammo and a mag or two, misc. camo (head cover, gloves).
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:17:28 AM EDT
I don't carry any extra gear. A 20 round mag in the rifle, e-caller in one hand, shooting sticks in the other, e-remote in my pocket. Drag & hand call lanyard around my neck. I leave everything else in the truck.

Of course I'm not trekking but only a couple hundreds yards from the truck to do stands. As long as you come from down wind and stay quiet and out of sight, you'd be surprised how close you can get to them without them knowing. Every situation is different but I never get far from the truck. Maybe I'm just lazy!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:49:21 AM EDT
a small alice would work for that with out stressing it but the metal frame gets annoying i have a few that the military issued me. but i like the voodoo better  and i dont always need a frame pack and it has a slot for my 100oz water bladder. it also has heavy ykk zippers and compression straps. there are a few clones of this bag that are cheaper but they are not made as good. i think i payed 55$ for mine and i see it as a long term bag i bought it as a test bag before buying the larger more expensive tobago bags for bug out kits. with what you carry i think it would work very good for you
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:51:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 11:52:39 AM EDT by rizzo1318]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1724:
Maybe I'm just lazy!  

Lazy farmers . . . . .

I use a shoulder bag to carry extra gear in, that way I don't have to hold anything in my hands. I carry an extra mag, my drag, and my camera in my pockets, but the shoulder bag is for my e-caller, decoy, etc if I need to take them to stand. If I'm gonna go for a long walk then I'll also toss a CamelBak on - some of us like to walk farther than 50 feet away from the truck . . . .

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:59:27 AM EDT
if you go on youtube type in voodoo tactical and the 3 bag reveiws that come up will do a better job of showing it than i can do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:22:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By countryboyny:
a small alice would work for that with out stressing it but the metal frame gets annoying i have a few that the military issued me. but i like the voodoo better  and i dont always need a frame pack and it has a slot for my 100oz water bladder. it also has heavy ykk zippers and compression straps. there are a few clones of this bag that are cheaper but they are not made as good. i think i payed 55$ for mine and i see it as a long term bag i bought it as a test bag before buying the larger more expensive tobago bags for bug out kits. with what you carry i think it would work very good for you

The med. alice I was looking at had no frame, shoulder straps were attached right to the pack. I carried a large framed alice for enough humps in the late 80's to have a genuine hate for them. I don't know, while the voodoo looks good and those like it, I really want extra outer pockets to keep things seperated and organized.

Like Rizzo said I won't be set-up right next to the truck, one area I've been on is 1-1.5 mi. in. I need to carry everything and fairly comfortably.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:32:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
Originally Posted By Wormydog1724:
Maybe I'm just lazy!  

Lazy farmers . . . . .

I use a shoulder bag to carry extra gear in, that way I don't have to hold anything in my hands. I carry an extra mag, my drag, and my camera in my pockets, but the shoulder bag is for my e-caller, decoy, etc if I need to take them to stand. If I'm gonna go for a long walk then I'll also toss a CamelBak on - some of us like to walk farther than 50 feet away from the truck . . . .

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/rizzo1318/coyote_030309_3.jpg

Some of us don't need to walk that far.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:41:17 AM EDT
lol i would rather do the hike thats half the fun of the hunt .not to mention the wife doesnt complain that you go hunting a lot when your getting in such great shape lol .  i have never seen the alice with out a frame. the ones i have are the 400 denier or what ever there made out of but i think they make a 600 that would be tuffer. but like you said you dont carry that much if you find a good deal on one go for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:59:38 PM EDT
I use either a Blackhawk  coyote tan 3 day assault pack, or the USGI version MOLLE II, both have lotsof room and an internal camerlback bladder. and are soft  enough to use as a rifle rest

if going light I just use a 1st line tact belt with pouches to hold calls, binos camera etc
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:32:05 PM EDT
Well thanks to ARFCOM and the "deals" section, I ordered this right here. Along w/ some pouches that were also on sale, what a great deal! Went w/ the advantage max camo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:47:57 AM EDT
not a bad deal. blackhawk makes some nice stuff i use them for all my pistol holsters
Top Top