Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2008 12:36:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about it, but it is a really light pack weight for its size of 5000 cu. in.  

My Kelty Redcloud pack is about the same size and is an internal frame, but it weighs about 6.5 or 7 pounds.  That looks like a great way to easily cut 4 lbs. from my pack weight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have considered getting that same pack too.  Don't know anything about the Jansport brand though.  Don't know if I should just save up and get a Kelty or the other better known brands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I have 2 Jansport bags that are well in excess of 20yrs old and still holding up just fine.  One is my old high school, college, etc backpack which I still use often.  The other is a roughly 6000ci external frame pack that is still my INCH bag.  I've carried up to about 80lbs on it and no problems.  I recently bought a Jansport Odyssey at an REI clearance for $20, seems well made, only time will tell if it holds up as well as the others.  
That said, I couldn't argue with saving for a Kelty or similar, just good packs.  I just bought a Redwing 3100 and it seems to be well made also, haven't taken it out in the field yet though.

HTH,
J
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a jansport goshawk 40 that I've been using as a kind of bob/ghb. The construction on it is excellent, and numerous times i have purchased expensive "tactical" packs only to throw everything back in the jansport becuase it's light, the craftsmanship is excellent, and much more discreet. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks nice, but it's just a picture. I'd never buy a pack sight unseen (as in) never had a chance to look it over in person and try it on.

It's hard to do that in some cases... especially with packs like Kifaru. in the case of my Marauder... it was worth the gamble IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input and the review.

David
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Jansport is one of the big boys---the only thing that might stop me from that pack is that they are calling it a lightweight---so some strength or durability might be compromised to save weight.

Check out their return policy before buying in case you don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks nice, but it's just a picture. I'd never buy a pack sight unseen (as in) never had a chance to look it over in person and try it on.

It's hard to do that in some cases... especially with packs like Kifaru. in the case of my Marauder... it was worth the gamble IMHO.

bah worse packs ever....

Know of a few that bran do f packs. they all have good things to say about them. for the price/weight  though its worth the try.
i bought my kelty for 59$ from SG 3+ yrs ago. very tough pack for the $$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top