Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2007 7:12:42 AM EDT
I've heard that the HSUS (Humane Suciety of the U.S.) is really an animal rights/anti-hunting group. I don't know that much about them. Anyone have any knowledge, opinion, or experience with them?
ETA: If anyone has a link or an article about something that shows the organization is either okay or animal rights wackos I would appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
never heard that.

IMO, the Humane Society is good people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks OB. Anyone have anything else?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I have heard your local humane society  is in no way connected with HSUS. People sind them money all the time thinking it will help stray cats and dogs but it is used to keep us from hunting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats the same thing I heard about the Humane Society of the US. Anti-gun and anti-hunting to the core. I am not defending dog fighting, but the HSUS are the ones who got the dog fighting penalities federalized and made into a felony. It's an irony that they can take your animals if someone thinks you are mistreating them. They will keep them for 5 days and if you don't plea bargain or pay a fine and show up to claim them, then they will kill your pets with gas. I know a guy who had Dobermans in a 8 foot chain link fence. His neighbors kids let the dogs out, and he got a call from the humane society saying he had 5 days to pay a $400 fine or they would "put down" his dogs. Needless to say, he was beside himself.

The HSUS Motto?

"If you keep failing to water your dog, we will come and humanely kill it and it will be your fault."

I just don't get it.
RS
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
just remember that they are not the same as your local humane society
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
There are some links about the HSOA on the NRA web site they are not what they claim spending millions on anti hunting and not a dime on pet rescue
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The reason that I'm asking is that I have always heard that the HSUS was an anti-hunting/anial rights group. Our local huane society is about to take over the city's animal shelter and they seem pretty bunny huggish to me.

Some have said that the HSUS and local humane societies are not the same. Why do the local humane societies call themselves "humane society" then? You'd think that there would be a distinction so that the two were not lumped together or affiliated with each other.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that they are very anti-hunting/gun. Different from your local humane society that helps strays, injured animals, etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The reason that I'm asking is that I have always heard that the HSUS was an anti-hunting/anial rights group. Our local huane society is about to take over the city's animal shelter and they seem pretty bunny huggish to me.

Some have said that the HSUS and local humane societies are not the same. Why do the local humane societies call themselves "humane society" then? You'd think that there would be a distinction so that the two were not lumped together or affiliated with each other.

The humane society started out local taking care of stray cats and dogs first. When HSUS started up they used HS so that they could fool people into giving them money basicly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey K-G-B, do you know of anywhere that this is documented or someplace that I can read about it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
If I haven't erased it I will get it to you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey K-G-B, do you know of anywhere that this is documented or someplace that I can read about it?

It is quite well known that the HSUS is anti hunting/anti trapping/ anti anything to do with harvesting animals for food.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Eye on the Antis - December 2006
No Dove Season! HSUS Television Blitz Helps the Antis Put an End to Dove Hunting in Michigan.

By Daryl Kirby

It is rather remarkable that there are folks who still believe that the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is an organization that runs the local animal shelters.

HSUS is an anti-hunting juggernaut and the worst enemy sportsmen have ever faced. The animal-rights group’s bankroll is immense, much of it raised through donations from people who think they’re helping their local animal shelter. HSUS is not in any way associated with the Paulding County Humane Society or any other local humane society animal shelter. They stole the name years ago and set about on an animal-rights agenda that includes anti-hunting efforts. HSUS is putting vast resources of cash into play directly against sportsmen.

During the November 7 election, the Michigan ballot included a statewide referendum asking voters if dove hunting should be banned in the state. The effort to place the referendum on the ballot was pushed by HSUS. Leading up to election day, urban television stations were blitzed with television ads that characterized dove hunting as nothing more than target practice on live songbirds, that doves were too small to even eat. Dove hunting lost by a margin of 68 percent to 32 percent.

According to the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, HSUS bankrolled the effort to ban dove hunting in Michigan with $1.6 million in contributions out of $2.3 million spent by the anti-hunters’ campaign. HSUS contributions were a 250 percent increase over its previous record amount spent on a wildlife issue.

“The HSUS and its puppet organization, the Committee to Restore the Dove Shooting Ban, purchased television airtime and ran anti-hunting messages throughout the final six weeks of the campaign,” the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance said. “This level of spending on a ballot issue is unprecedented for HSUS, and confirms sportsmen’s greatest fears about the retooled animal-rights organization, which merged with the Fund for Animals in 2005. The merger put anti-hunting zealots in charge of more than $100 million that can be spent to ban hunting. The HSUS plan of attack appears to be to first chip away at certain types of hunting — dove and bear are emerging as the early targets.”

This is just part of a story from a local Georgia hunting magazine. You can go to GON.com and search if you want to read more. By the way, I just read that HSUS is telling the non hunting public that hunting over a food plot is a type of canned hunt and should be banned.

The best way for you to find out how they feel about hunting is to go to their website and look under hunting.

More from GON

Back in the 1950s, the American Humane Society was responsible for setting up animal shelters across the country, a needed and valuable venture that dealt with stray dogs and cats. Apparently some folks wanted the organization to get more involved in animal-rights’ issues. A split occurred, and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) was formed. The result is what has been referred to as the hijacking of the humane movement.

By taking “humane society” in its name, the HSUS benefited greatly as people donated and supported what they thought were the animal-shelter folks. So it should come as no surprise that HSUS uses word-play in their fight to ban hunting on National Wildlife Refuges (NWRs).

Sunday Hunting is Dangerous, Says HSUS
Wayne Pacelle, the president and CEO of HSUS, is worried about your safety, that’s why he says that he opposes an effort to allow hunting on Sundays in a Montgomery County, Maryland.

“Sunday hunting will create a heightened risk to public safety,” Wayne said. “Hunting may only be on private land, but bullets and arrows know no boundaries. Montgomery County residents are rightly concerned that Sunday hunting will endanger them along with their dogs, horses, and other animals, and we urge the public to voice their opposition to this proposal.”

Both PETA and HSUS reach kids at school. My daughter just started kindergarten in Morgan County. Last week she brought home Kind News, an HSUS publication for kids in grades K-3. It’s all about being kind to animals. The next level of Kind News will turn it up a notch. PETA uses the same method with materials distributed at schools. The elementary school materials teach humane treatment of pets and farm animals. In middle school, the message is anti-meat, anti-fishing, and vegetarianism that discourages kids from “chowing down on one of your friends.”

At the high school level, kids are encouraged to join “PETA’s army of animal-rights rebels” and rewards “actions” with PETA merchandise. Actions may include vandalism and even “liberations” of animals — animal-rights terrorism. It is slow and deliberate propaganda, a recruitment into the animal-rights philosophy.

My daughter’s Kind News may not have a direct anti-hunting message, but there’s no mistaking the position of HSUS. In their own words: “The HSUS strongly opposes the recreational hunting and killing of wild animals, as the sport is fundamentally at odds with the values of a humane, just, and caring society.”

• The "They Ought to Be Ashamed" Award: HSUS has a lot to be ashamed of, but high on the list is the effect their fund-raising has on local animal shelters. When local shelters set up booths at fairs or other places trying to raise money, it is common for people to say they've already given money to help the shelters. But what they had actually done was donate to the Humane Society of the United States, which has done nothing for local humane societies except steal their name and siphon off potential funding. HSUS even has the audacity to promote an annual "National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week." Instead of providing money to help local shelters, this program just further confuses the public into associating HSUS with the local humane societies.

If you want more I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
THANKS K-B-R. That is the type of stuff I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Local or not, i got fed up with the local shelter when they were trapping feral cats and innoculating them for rabies and releasing them back to the wild.

What good was that?
-wasted funds on medicine
-time on trapping them
-missed opportunity to euthanize pests that damage property, attack pet cats

feral cats are nasty nasty creatures ridden with disease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top