Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:24:44 PM EDT
Very simple question.

What is a good solution for this unavoidable problem?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:31:32 PM EDT
buy buy buy and buy some more. buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:36:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mustangracer:
buy buy buy and buy some more. buy it cheap and stack it deep.

VERY DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:54:18 PM EDT
Keep a bunch on hand. When the flag goes up, put it on the run to the store before the sheep do list.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:48:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:14:00 PM EDT
IMHO, the best SHTF TP (how's that for acronyms?) is Scott. Now, for normal use Northern is clearly the best choice, for its unequalled combination of softness, absorbency and strength.

In our "primary" bathroom a roll of Northern--and I'm talking about the big rolls because they come in two sizes and we use the big ones--lasts maybe two days. When the Northern runs out and no one has replaced it, we have to grab the roll of 1000-sheet Scott that resides under the sink. The Scott rolls last, like, forever.

Haven't tested the theory, but I believe a 12-pack of Scott would last longer than a 24-pack or even a 36-pack of Northern or Charmin.

All toilet paper is not created equal, and for SHTF the Scott stuff will last much longer than any of the other big brands, even if you use more sheets per use because it's thinner. Seriously, I'm not talking about a 10% increase, I'm talking about a 100% increase and probably more. The darn rolls just keep going and going and going...

Seriously, buy a single roll or a 4-pack of Scott and try it out; if you haven't tried it before you'll be amazed how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:32:53 PM EDT
bidet and visa paper towels, dry them out and reuse them till they are too dirty.
you can make a hand held bidet from a tree sprayer.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:52:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LadyMacBeth:
bidet and visa paper towels, dry them out and reuse them till they are too dirty.
you can make a hand held bidet from a tree sprayer.

I can only imagine the look on your neighbors faces
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:22:24 PM EDT
I got 15 of the industrial rolls of T/P that are about a foot in diamater stashed away I found cleaning out a building before demolition. Got some strange looks when I said I wanted them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:23:54 PM EDT
Keep a few rolls in your car's trunk at least.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:14:47 AM EDT
I think the single ply industrial rolls would be best. If you can get them cheap enough.

for some reason my wife keeps buying this brand that looks like to was rolled by hand because its so loose. Gotta stop that .
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:43:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EndGame:
IMHO, the best SHTF TP (how's that for acronyms?) is Scott. Now, for normal use Northern is clearly the best choice, for its unequalled combination of softness, absorbency and strength.

In our "primary" bathroom a roll of Northern--and I'm talking about the big rolls because they come in two sizes and we use the big ones--lasts maybe two days. When the Northern runs out and no one has replaced it, we have to grab the roll of 1000-sheet Scott that resides under the sink. The Scott rolls last, like, forever.

Haven't tested the theory, but I believe a 12-pack of Scott would last longer than a 24-pack or even a 36-pack of Northern or Charmin.

All toilet paper is not created equal, and for SHTF the Scott stuff will last much longer than any of the other big brands, even if you use more sheets per use because it's thinner. Seriously, I'm not talking about a 10% increase, I'm talking about a 100% increase and probably more. The darn rolls just keep going and going and going...

Seriously, buy a single roll or a 4-pack of Scott and try it out; if you haven't tried it before you'll be amazed how long it lasts.

Much better in the septic too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:09:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:47 AM EDT
I was going to post a reply...but now I GOTTA GO # 2 !

Medicguy
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:21:16 AM EDT
+1 for Quilted Northern.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:31:44 AM EDT
when the SHTF......
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:39:44 AM EDT
I highly recommend the book 'How to shit in the woods.' It's not just funny, it's practical. I have used the smooth stick trick and it works. (Unless you're ill...) Toilet paper and coffee would make great trade items if you had room.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:45:16 AM EDT
I always keep a roll of "Hockey Tickets" in each vehicle. Leaves work nicely when you are younger but as you get older, a pack of hockey tickets from C-rations or MRES in your wallet during hunting season are handy.

I knew a soldier that was in the Somilia operation in the 90's, when every GI was packing up cigarettes as barter, he packed up rolls of toliet paper. After a while he could name any trade item he wanted for a nice roll of Charmin.
Gavin
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:15:59 AM EDT
Interesting...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:59:33 AM EDT
I'm waiting for the first person to post a pic of their TP stash !
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:22:56 PM EDT
I've done a lot of backpacking. Sometimes you run out of TP or it gets wet. You can use leaves. They work well. Also smooth rocks from a stream are nice. TP is actually not necessary.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:39:48 PM EDT
I use scott paper all the time and yes it does last 3 times as long, and unlike the other cheap thinner stuff...........no poke through lol
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:41:40 PM EDT
Use a sponge, rinse it out, use it again. That is what the romans did.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:52:52 PM EDT
get thee a sponge my good man, and warsh it in ye old stream at least once weekly...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:57:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:37:24 PM EDT
It's too cheap (and always on sale) to not have a fortress of TP in your house.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:03:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
I'm waiting for the first person to post a pic of their TP stash !

Ok, you asked for it. Here is a picture of part of my stash. This is my garage toilet. There is more in the house, but we are getting kind of low. I like to keep at least six months worth on hand. I have been thinking about increasing to a year supply.

The Kirkland toilet paper is a decent product. I buy it by the case at Costco. It is very similar to the Scott in texture.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:42:23 AM EDT
fam dollar 60 pack of dish cloths and/or a 20 pack of really soft sponges - 1 buck 2 gal bucket of ivory dish soap mixed with water and a 1 buck 2 gal bucket of rinse water in or near your outhouse - it is better of course if you have warm water to rinse your cloth or sponge out - and it is nice to have a zip lock bag for short term storage without drying your ass wiper out - just my 2 cents - TP is too buklky to store and that is one of my solutions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:33:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scrachline1:
fam dollar 60 pack of dish cloths and/or a 20 pack of really soft sponges - 1 buck 2 gal bucket of ivory dish soap mixed with water and a 1 buck 2 gal bucket of rinse water in or near your outhouse - it is better of course if you have warm water to rinse your cloth or sponge out - and it is nice to have a zip lock bag for short term storage without drying your ass wiper out - just my 2 cents - TP is too buklky to store and that is one of my solutions.

That's a good idea. Another thing, TP is (usually) worthless once it gets wet. Its made to disolve in water. So it needs to be stored dry, which isnt always something you can count on when bugging out. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:39 AM EDT
I always figured a wet wash cloth would do the job fine and probably better than paper. Of course then you have to wash your wash cloth out like old fashioned diapers.

I don't see this as a big problem, just a change of methods.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 12:36:49 PM EDT by bionicmonkey]
I keep 2 costco packs (36 rolls each) out of rotation - in the rafters of the garage. theres a 3rd costco pack that is for current use, so shtf, we can wipe the fanny with between 72 and 108 rolls.. I'd like to add a 3rd pack back, but we have a lot of expenses right now, and 2 should get us through 3 months at least.

eta: someone mentioned keeping it handy.. I keep some in the bob, 2 rolls in my car kit, and 1 in the wifes.. (just cuz her kit is smaller, not because I go 2x as much! )

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 1:59:08 PM EDT by dallasfromdallas]
It's pretty psychologically rough the first time, but when times get tough you can always use what 90% of the world uses...your hand (not the one you eat with). Make sure to tuck your thumb into your fist, then use the "v" area where thumb joins palm. This method works best in the squatting position as opposed to sitting on a toilet. Good luck and keep it out of your fingernails.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:01:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ReallyLongAction:
Very simple question.

What is a good solution for this unavoidable problem?

Love TP, it use it daily.... Oak and maple leaves seem to work best in the woods... We have an unlimited supply of them but they get dry and rough during late fall, wet, soggy in the winter, and moldy smelling in the early spring... In the house, it's Scott all the way, we also have a large stash (20-30 rolls) of the super-sized commerical/industrial rolls you see in public restrooms in our reserve survival stash. After everything runs out, then it on to the garden hose and a bar of soap outside...
Top Top