Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2007 6:52:03 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking about using my .223 caliber rifle for deer hunting this year. What commercially avaliable ammunition would you recommend? I will be hunting in the South, so no shots greater than 150 yards, and the deer won't weigh more than 150 pounds.

I was looking that this brand / type:

1. 55 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertip

2. 55 grain Remington Premier Accu Tip-V

3. 60 grain Federal Premium Vital - Shok

# 1 & # 2 are small game / varmint rounds according to the manaufacturers website. #3 is the only one that can be used for deer according to Federals website, so I guess I should use #3; but I wanted to find out what all of you are using and your opinion of the rounds effectiveness on deer.

Thanks for your help,
Accountant
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
.308 150grn
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.308 150grn

well that was helpful.  Your inability to utilize a smaller round doesn't mean that everyone else should use something that is overkill.

To the OP

I use the Federal Vital Shoks 60gr Nosler Partitions.  I aim for the neck/head, never had a problem with them.  I have heard of good things about the Winchester Power Points in 64gr (I believe), but for me, the Federals are doing fine so why mess with a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester 64gr power point
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to realize that the .223 is sub-optimal for deer, but if you are willing to pass up anything that is not a good lung/heart shot, it is ok to 100 yards or so.  IMO, 150 yards is pushing the .223.

With all of that said, think about these loadings:

COR-BON 223 REM 53 GR. DPX

COR-BON 223 REM 62 GR. DPX

Federal P223Q 60 gr. Nosler Partition

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Once again we approach that time of the year for the .223 vs. Bambi debate.

Ditch the AR for deer hunting.  It's pointless.  I don't care what anyone says, it's sub-optimal and damn near cruel.  Also risky for losing the game as they can still run a fair distance depending on your marksmanship.  It's senseless.  Anything less than .243, I have never understood.  No matter what the reasoning is.......
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ditch the AR for deer hunting.  It's pointless.  I don't care what anyone says, it's sub-optimal and damn near cruel.  Also risky for losing the game as they can still run a fair distance depending on your marksmanship.  It's senseless.  Anything less than .243, I have never understood.  No matter what the reasoning is.......

Sorry....  That was bogus of me...  But I suppose it is all based on where you hunt and what type of deer...

In Mich you aren't shooting at whitetail over the horizon.  Most rifle shots are under 100 yards...  Never had a problem before...  My bro-in-law has bagged one each of the last three years with his ruger .223, two shot in the head, one through the neck.  None of them went over five or so yards before being dead dead dead...

I see way too much Big Gun = Big Penis people here in Michigan...

Oh well, to each their own.

-V
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

DRT with good shot placement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
So im guessing you guys would not have approved of my Great Uncle who shot tons of them year after year for decades with a bolt action .22LR. In WVA no less (nice sized deer)

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same here.  Gotta have a magnum super nitro shooter express cause they can't aim, so a hit in the general county will ensure a dead deer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

With all of that said, think about these loadings:

COR-BON 223 REM 53 GR. DPX

COR-BON 223 REM 62 GR. DPX

Federal P223Q 60 gr. Nosler Partition

+1. I've got some 53 gr DPX i plan on loading up. I've heard it works great for deer in shorter barrels, and the 62 is great in longer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So im guessing you guys would not have approved of my Great Uncle who shot tons of them year after year for decades with a bolt action .22LR. In WVA no less (nice sized deer)

Thats not big enough.... You should tell him to take off and nuke em from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.

...sorry, Aliens is on.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cavalry99,

I agree with you. My main deer rifle is a .243 or a .270, but each year I usually spend more time keeping the varmints off the feeders, that I do hunting deer. Last year I shot more than 30 racoons and other varmints that were attacking the feeders. I only harvested two deer the whole season (1 shot kills from the .243). That was enough meat for me and my family. The bolt action .243 does the job but I really need an autoloading rifle that's fast handling and cheap to shoot to control the varmint population. It's a lot of fun when 5-10 varmints will come to a feeder.....and a bolt action .243 just doesn't do the job anymore.

Now before someone gets all mad about shooting all those varmints. This is a working farm I am hunting on and the racoons were decimating the corn crop. The farmer was glad I was there to help. Just in case you were wondering, yes hunting over bait is legal in this state.

I apologize for not explaining all of this in my origional post, but I didn't think it was necessary to do so.

To Everyone Else,

Thank you for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I am a big fan of the Nosler Partitions.

I would go with the Federal load pushing NP's

If you handload, a Partition at  3000fps would be a good load even though the factory Federal stuff says theirs are going 3100 fps.

While I personally don't hunt deer with a .223, I won't argue you can't use a .223 for deer because you can.  You have your reasons.  

Good hunting and be sure to give us an AAR.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
How about Hornady 75 grain TAP?  Kill a man; Kill a deer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If I hunted in your area I would agree but the deer down here are smaller by far.  The .223 is quite capable with a good bullet such as the Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer, which is what I hand load and use on deer with great success.

When I lived and hunted in West Virginia, I stepped up to a much bigger rifle... the .243.

This year, it's a 6.8 SPC and a 6mmx45 for deer hunting.  The .223 has served me well I just want a change.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I hunted in your area I would agree but the deer down here are smaller by far.  The .223 is quite capable with a good bullet such as the Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer, which is what I hand load and use on deer with great success.

When I lived and hunted in West Virginia, I stepped up to a much bigger rifle... the .243.

This year, it's a 6.8 SPC and a 6mmx45 for deer hunting.  The .223 has served me well I just want a change.

Had'nt quite thought about the geography issue.  That makes sense.

7mm WSM from last year.  He took all of two steps...........
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

this is the most awesome deer killin .223 cartridge out there.
i grew up on a LARGE peanut farm. culling deer was part of the job- and still is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Not this shit again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Same here.  Gotta have a magnum super nitro shooter express cause they can't aim, so a hit in the general county will ensure a dead deer. hinking.gif

Exactly, I'd love to use my AR but here in SE MI its illegal to use a rifle so I'm stuck with the 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm also going to be using my .223 AR for deer hunting, simply because so far, they are the only rifles I own (other than a .22). So, going to a higher caliber really isn't an option for me due to budgetary restraints. I'm going for a good round+shot placement.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I went with this last year. Pretty damn good stuff.

.223 Corbon DPX 53gr. HP Ammo
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had good luck with 64gr winchester 'ranger"  power point's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My daughter killed her first deer last year with her NEF 223 single shot, range was 60 yards or so. Deer ran about 20 yards and fell over, DEAD. We were using Federal 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets. The round took out the near shoulder and exited the ribs on the off side. Deer was dead but there was NO blood. Im glad he fell where we could see him. I think the 223 will work but you definitely need premium bullets and I would want to use it where if they run, it will be a tough tracking job, ie really thick nasty woods or water. I will probably make her use her brother's 243 this year and save the 223 for hogs. Just my .02  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

yep

my other deer rifle is a .338winmag
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Mule deer are too tough for most .223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top