Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2007 7:20:19 PM EDT
I was wandering around APMEX, thinking about buying some silver.  Also, we have Dallas Gold & Silver Exchange locally with retail shops.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward pre-1965 US dollars (90%).  But I am wondering about so called "rounds", and US and other nation's 1-once coins.

What's a good value?  What would be easy to trade in normal times, and when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI?

Thanks...

Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I stock pre 65 silver coins just because I know that they will be recognised, not so sure about the rounds or other nations silver coins.
My 02
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I like $5 canadian maple leafs, they are "worth" more then bars or US eagles if the bottom drops out of silver.

-JTP
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bullion , 1oz and up. Coins are sold at a premium for art and collector value. Per ounce bullion at SHTF value or even at market value will always bring the spot price where a coin of collector value will not. If you pay $18 for a coin and the spot is $13 bullion will cost about $14. Now if the spot goes down to $10 you'll lose more on the coin than on the bullion , because collector value will fluctuate more due to the collector market , but the coin is still 1oz just like the bullion. You want pretty you buy coins , you want Silver as a physical commodity you buy bullion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Even though people will recognize the coins, most won't know what the silver content is. Right now I have only a little bit of silver, but one is a round. The round is a American Eagle, and it has 1 oz .999 silver stamped on it. Buying the bullion would be better. It would be easier to tell what the silver content is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I actualy for "our" purpouse her in the SF go a little against the grain.

I don't like pre-65, mostly because I'm into silver and can't rember how much is in a dime, or a quarter.

I don't like bars over an oz, again, how am I to show what/when/were it came from?

Same with rounds from X vendors, I know what it is but who elce dose?

I do know that a coin marked 1 fine oz from USA, AU, CA ect are known, are stamped ect.

For SHTF hard cash I go with Eagles.

Now let me add, I collect pre-65 coins, and when I find/get anough I cash them/trade them in for Morgans then in for Eagles.

I have no issue with rounds or bars for hard currancy investments and will soon have them for more of my stash as well, but starting out I stuck to .gov mint.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it comes down to why you're buying the silver in the first place.  If you want to try to make it fun along with having some silver assets on hand then it's probably better to stick to government minted coins.  Then again they make a lot of collectible bullion as well.  If you want to buy silver as a hedge against the economy then I don't think it matters.  Bars and rounds tend to cost less and they're usually stamped with a serial number, silver content and the company that minted it.    Junk silver is also pretty cheap but a lot of times you'll end up paying a premium because the coins themselves have numismatic value.  What I keep hearing is that people buy govt minted coins because at least they'll still have their numismatic value or the government will back them.  The only reason that I started buying silver was as a hedge against the dollar collapsing.  If that happens then it won't matter how much the face value is.  The chances of the value of silver going in the gutter are nowhere near as bad as the chances of the value of the dollar going in the gutter.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, that's all good food for thought.  I'm thinking of gather some silver/gold as a hedge against a big economic event (China attacks the dollar, big oil dissasters, etc.).  On the other hand, if all goes well in the world, I'd like to be able to liquidate it in a fair market.

Further discussion would be most welcome...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
My general rule of thumb:

Only buy silver with the purity content and weight (in Troy oz) stamped on the coin.  Not everybody agrees on this theory, but it works for me.  Theory being in a SHTF situation, people are going to want to know the coin they're being offered IS what they claim it is.

Nothing wrong with silver rounds. The majority of my collectioin is comprised of Prospectors and Paradise mint rounds, with a smattering of bars thrown in.   Some will say that dollar for dollar the Canadian leaf coins are best (at .9999 purity to the US .999) but the at 1/1000th of a difference, i consider it splitting hairs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, that's all good food for thought.  I'm thinking of gather some silver/gold as a hedge against a big economic event (China attacks the dollar, big oil dissasters, etc.).  On the other hand, if all goes well in the world, I'd like to be able to liquidate it in a fair market.

Further discussion would be most welcome...

There was a gentleman on the Frugal Squirrels site (I think his handle was FERFAL or something akin) who lived in Argentina in 2000 when their market tanked hard and the value of their dollar to the US dollar went from 1:1 to 3:1 almost overnight.  

He said from an economic standpoint, he wished he could have invested more in silver and gold, which was selling for 3 to 4 times it’s worth after their economy went south.   Those few people who did collect/bulk store silver and gold were able to weather the storm financially.  He also mentioned investing in foreign currency, like the Euro or the US dollar which was going for 5:1 at the worst point of the economic collapse.  

Before the Frugal site went all religious Crusadey and many people left, he had so many good stories and real life 1st person accounts of a SHTF event in real-time. . .and lessons to be learned.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Shadowbory I rember that guy, he had some great posts, truly first hand.

It was to bad Frugals wen't nutz
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally have a lot of various coins, nothing too rare or valuable, but then again I've been into numistmatics for years- my silver coins are one of those things that could easily be entertainment or prep. I also have a couple of bars laying around. The US Bullion coins are nice- the are recognized and are something that people would be willing to trust as value. I would think the same of other nations similar products. I have a Chinese Gold Panda, and even that has an English legend on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
All of the above you want to basically be able to "make change" for whatever come your way. I would start with 90% then 1oz rounds. I have up to 10oz bars but mainly 90% & 1oz stuff
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]
So the question is... how do you buy it?  Someone recommended goldline.com to me but they seemed a bit pricey.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So the question is... how do you buy it?  Someone recommended goldline.com to me but they seemed a bit pricey.  Any recommendations?

If you want pre-'65 US coins, buy them from ebay. I was buying them all summer last year for less than 80% their silver value.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually get 90% on Ebay of my local shop for under spot. For 1oz rounds or larger I deal with  APMEX or Jennifer at Lone Star Silver for dealer feedback & general precious metals info check out Gold is Money
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Bogie:  Thanks for those links, I've got LoneStar Silver, APMEX, Kitco, and NWT Mint all bookmarked now.

BTW, I went over to Dallas G&S Ex. on Saturday, picked up a few Silver Eagles.  But, the price was a little high, and with sales tax, it's not a good option for accumulatings.

Leaning toward 'rounds' for now.

I heard that the economy is about to collapse on the Survival Blog this morning
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Find a local coin shop, and pay cash for 1oz Rounds, I like A-Mark and Engelhard rounds and 10oz bars by Engelhard or JM, A-Mark etc.
The pre 65 90% 'junk' is pretty cool stuff too.   I have a few oz in Mercury Dimes and Kennedy Halves.    The Mercury dimes were used thru the WWI, WWII and the Great Depression, pretty interesting history.   You really cant go wrong with what you buy, just dont over pay, use apmex as a price guide.  Once you hold your first piece of silver in your hand you will be addicted.   Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top