Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 2:38:24 PM EDT
Hello to all,

I have been lurking and reading all the threads now i have finally started to store my food. I just ordered

250 1gal mylar bags from lds
300 o2 absorbers also from lds
and some of those MRE squad meals from long life food

I will be getting a 50 lb bag of rice as well a 50lb bag of flour. Meat and beans will be coming soon, doing this as budget and angry wife allow.

for a temp fix, until i get the buckets, are there any problems with storing the food in the bags and leaving them on the selves? (inside the house)

also got any other key essential ideas for me? all help is appreciated..
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...doing this as budget and angry wife allow...

Just wait until you have to use something from your stockpile. She'll change her tune real quick.

Keep everything cool and dry until you can transition to long term storage.

Welcome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
watch out for mice and bugs until yo can get that stuff stored proper. Welcome
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
the Mylar bags can be fragile. that's why we store inside buckets.

other than that, good luck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#4]
welcome to the dark side.    

make sure to take your wife's needs into account - whatever "feminine needs" she has, stock a few extra boxes, and soon enough, she'll realize that it's super nice to never run out.  going to the store to restock when there's a sale instead of when you're out of something will probably help, too...  

a few extra cans of veggies now and then, buying stuff like soap and toilet paper in buk, and the savings should be noticeable...

make sure you still spend plenty of quality time with her, too, and see if she has any ideas about what would be important to build up in your pantry...  it can be pretty fun...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top