Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 5:29:05 PM EDT
Um, this show is getting scary.........This kid seems to have issues......and not our kind of normal paranoia issues...........just flipped to it and im creeped out
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems kida slow also.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
At least we almost got to see them burn their shelter/building down........  
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Kid needs a dad to teach him why bud k catalog is not a place to buy survival tools.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw one the other day man shot his own thumb off while teaching his kids to shoot. I generally try to leave that lesson out when I am trying to introduce someone to the world of shooting sports!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, i hope the state gets involved with that kid. And the fat music man before it had some nice land, too bad he isn't healthy enough to live long enough to use it. Oh also that song sucked!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
NatGeo seems to be going out of their way to find oddballs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Saw one the other day man shot his own thumb off while teaching his kids to shoot. I generally try to leave that lesson out when I am trying to introduce someone to the world of shooting sports!

Yeah, and the guy is ex military and he says it was a malfunction.  A brain malfunction.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anyone w/ 1/2 a brain wouldn't be showing their preps on a FN TV show.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]
i think its good info....i sit with a yellow legal pad....1st list what not to do....list filled up fast.... last weeks points

I need more milk crates, and log chain..
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, the show is part of a series called American Outliers. That should tell you that they aren't looking for reasonable people. Also, reasonable people on tv don't give you high ratings, "interesting" people do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe it is an intentional effort to portray preppers as social misfit, nut job maladjusted whackos.  People who might not know any better could make a decision to not "be like those people".  Fuck, I don't what to be like those people.  I can assure you, they are nothing like me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I would have to agree.  The more "off base" they are, the more likely they will find their way on the airways.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My takeaway from the 1.5 episodes I've watched of that show is that I'll never be a good TeeVee star

Apparently, the following doesn't make for compelling drama:
-Ice storm prep
-Building battery banks for power outages
-Changing the oil in your gensets
-Stockpiling flashlights and batteries
-Topping of your food pantry/water supply
-Investing time and energy into getting a ham radio license and working on backup comms
-Renewing your CPR and first aid training
-Rotating out expired medical supplies
-Getting trained in basic fire protection
-Learning how to plug a tire
-Taking care of your neighbors
-Eliminating personal debt and living within your means
Etc etc etc...

But going in national television to show the world that you are a loon, and advertising your capabilities DOES make for compelling TV drama...

Oh well...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My takeaway from the 1.5 episodes I've watched of that show is that I'll never be a good TeeVee star

-Ice storm prep
-Building battery banks for power outages
-Changing the oil in your gensets
-Stockpiling flashlights and batteries
-Topping of your food pantry/water supply
-Investing time and energy into getting a ham radio license and working on backup comms
-Renewing your CPR and first aid training
-Rotating out expired medical supplies
-Getting trained in basic fire protection
-Learning how to plug a tire
-Taking care of your neighbors
-Eliminating personal debt and living within your means
Etc etc etc...

But going in national television to show the world that you are a loon, and advertising your capabilities DOES make for compelling TV drama...

Oh well...

+1 on that!!!  That right there is the truth!!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Agreed...I always get ideas...normally the opposite of what the show is about, but watching the show does get me to think about various items I need/want.

Quoted:
i think its good info....i sit with a yellow legal pad....1st list what not to do....list filled up fast.... last weeks points

I need more milk crates, and log chain..

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Taboo...anyone?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to know why all these guys that are so hardcore about prepping are all morbidly obese?

They spend thousands to turn their house into a faraday cage and masks to protect from particulate alpha,  only to die of diabetes or heart failure?

Seems a bit self defeating to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I want to know why all these guys that are so hardcore about prepping are all morbidly obese?

They spend thousands to turn their house into a faraday cage and masks to protect from particulate alpha,  only to die of diabetes or heart failure?

yep my thoughts also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Um, this show is getting scary.........This kid seems to have issues......and not our kind of normal paranoia issues...........just flipped to it and im creeped out

mom "are you going to bug out with me?"  kid "no"

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

-Ice storm prep...

It does seem odd that NatGeo can't find one guy on the East Coast or the Gulf Coast who wants to discuss his hurricane preps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yeah this is really starting to bother me. its one thing to make the show kind of entertaining, but for them to focus on the most moronic people possible it really gives the idea of prepping a bad name.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Ice storm prep...

It does seem odd that NatGeo can't find one guy on the East Coast or the Gulf Coast who wants to discuss his hurricane preps.

That's an excellent point.

No idea how I'd survive a massive asteroid hitting the earth, a rogue comet, nuclear winter, or whatever else those folks are afraid of. That said, I could show-in excruciating detail-how I'd survive and thrive during a 3+ week utility outage in the dead of winter with my family. In fact, in 1998 that's precisely what we did-and today I'm much better equipped to handle such an event.

Marginalizing people who are into emergency preparedness by only showcasing the fringe whackos only serves to create a cult of dependence. I'd rather take my chances with my own resources, experience, and intelligence than rely on a daily ration of government cheese to feed my family.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep my thoughts also.

We were saying the same thing. But that tub of lard must have strong cash flow, there's some money tied up there. That's even before the big steel tube came in at the end. Just the shipping and unloading costs would be well into the thousands, let alone the follow on escavation work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The kids from a town about 45 min south of me.  The town isn't known for turning out geniuses.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the point of this show is to make preppers out to be crazies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I believe it is an intentional effort to portray preppers as social misfit, nut job maladjusted whackos.  People who might not know any better could make a decision to not "be like those people".  Fuck, I don't what to be like those people.  I can assure you, they are nothing like me.

well said and spot on..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Iaugh at the ones that fall into this category every time...IMHO physical fitness and knowledge are number one on the survival preps list
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was watching the same show, and my first thought was that this kid and his two friends will be on the news someday for shooting up their high school or something like that.  The little tool is planning to bug out without his mama, even after pilfering her canned goods!

My second thought was where's the dad in this picture?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#29]
WTF..... am I watching?  Making his own pepper spray?  Why, why would you put yourself in danger of getting yourself "infected" instead of just shooting someone?   I know they are looking for loons, but damn.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I think you guys are missing something. Nat Geo put out an ad that said that they were looking for preppers. We should not be suprised at the "type" of prepper they found. What real prepper would blow his OPSEC to hell by being on TV? Many of these folks mean well but they all have an agenda. Some are lost looking for something to be a part of. Or like the guy who shot his hand, he had something to sell. Enjoy the show for what it is.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:48:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think you guys are missing something. Nat Geo put out an ad that said that they were looking for preppers. We should not be suprised at the "type" of prepper they found. What real prepper would blow his OPSEC to hell by being on TV? Many of these folks mean well but they all have an agenda. Some are lost looking for something to be a part of. Or like the guy who shot his hand, he had something to sell. Enjoy the show for what it is.

They also drag out the masses at these "prep cons" that go on across the states.every 511 wearing, johnny come lately prepper wants his 5 mins of fame.

In all honesty guys i  think the show does really represent what we see on the internet !.

You have folks who are set up good, but have issues or some off thing they prep for or they are the total whack job.or newb.

Last night i saw the one where the guy retired from florida to texas. Thing is, how he was living will eventually be more sustainable than many others on the show...but he falls into the " i love mother erath news " catagory of people.

The guy before  that,...with wife and sister combo. He is what 80% of the web is imho. So much they do/show screams newb or " i just started after the election" type prepper that has popped up the last few years.

is the show bad..it is when you nit pick all the drama BS that nat geo shoves in there for TV reasons. But if you look you can find some decent ideas and  info...other times just wear a sparring helmet for when you bang your head on the wall going WTF did i just see.....

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
WTF..... am I watching?  Making his own pepper spray?  Why, why would you put yourself in danger of getting yourself "infected" instead of just shooting someone?   I know they are looking for loons, but damn.

Yeah, I don't think escalation of force will make much sense if the SHTF.  However, it did make me wonder if that would actually work, and if so, how long would the stuff last in the squirt gun and how long would the effects last on someone who was sprayed?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I got home from work this AM and popped a beer expecting to watch "Schtuuuaaarrt" (FBN....I love Nicole) for 15-20 min., before hitting the rack. I was both suprised and pleased to see that DDP had recorded and decided to watch it.

This one was on par with the dude dressed like an old lady and I won't be watching any further.

This is fucking "jersey shore" meets "how I banged my mother".  

They would do well to highlight my co-workers showing up to "patrol" Staten Island, and spending a majority of the 16 hours each day, hauling soaked carpet and ruined wood trim out of salvagable houses. But that wouldn't attract the Gerry Springer crowd.

I hope they die "twisted" as my old partner would say.......

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah thats what Ima thinking too.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Enjoy the show for what it is.

Sage Mainer wisdom!

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy the show for what it is.

Sage Mainer wisdom!

Indeed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Aside from the lame attempt at doctoring up a batch of pepper spray, I thought the former cop was the most level headed participant to the show that I've seen in a while. That said, continuum of force has no part in the plans that he's making.

Now the guy that was the focus after him? The one that brought the gal up from S America before announcing the intention to live in a RV in EBF upstate NY? I turned off the tele and left the room half way through that segment. So much fail there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm watching right now and holy shit. That dude with the mail order bride is crazy! Who does that? I think prepping is becoming more mainstream but people like this certainly aren't helping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Almost everyone on the show seems creepy or doushy,are these the people that will be left to pick up the pieces?...... I find myself wishing for the SHTF, after the SHTF!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I made a comment about the fringe nature of the shows subjects on their Facebook page and asked that they show some less nutty types.....in a much more polite and eloquent fashion of course.

They deleted it in less than 15 mins.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#41]
i really do almost wanna sign up for the show and just pretend to be a crazy over the top whack job and then document the whole thing to show their agenda,,,,,

but i may blow a finger off in front of my 300lb diabetic kid while pimping my zombie killing tactical spork or some shit after going on and on about redundancy while i show you my large alice pack stuffed tothe gills with walmart crap still in the packages..after telling the show im preparing for a high altitude emp/nuke with radioactive fall out and a mass die off from a super bug that emerges from the radioactive waste that spills from the nuke plants and takes out that medical testing facility the military runs up on  the north east..........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top