Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2015 7:48:50 PM EDT
cross posted from SF

Yeah, I'm a Ham Radio Operator...and I Podcast about it.  
My Podcast is titled Fo Time, I invite you to listen

But this is the reason I posted this thread:

Here are 2 Podcast I encourage you to listen to regarding the Fires Burning in WA state.  First Hand Accounts of Bugging-Out and communicating during such moves.

http://www.radiofreeredoubt.com/2015/08/23/episode-15-27-washington-wildfires-interview-prepper-lessons-learned-first-hand/

http://partisanradio.podbean.com/e/partisan-radio-volume-17-23-august-15-amrron-wildfire-deployment-debriefing/

FWIW, we have a pretty awesome Ham Radio forum here on Arfcom

if you're interested in learning moar about Ham Radio check out my Where to Start Guide.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:09:03 PM EDT
Anybody have the "Cliff Notes" version of this? I really don't have the patience for podcasts if I can read the salient points in under a minute
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:59:37 PM EDT
Ham Worked when nothing else did......
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:00:00 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Anybody have the "Cliff Notes" version of this? I really don't have the patience for podcasts if I can read the salient points in under a minute
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.amrron.com/2015/08/24/black-echo-operations-real-world-disaster-application-conconully-wa-wildfires/

Mission of Black Echo Broadcasters:

1.  Inform the citizens of developments, public service announcements, and safety information

2.  Reinforce a sense of ‘connection’ in the community

3.  Encouragement and sense of ‘normalcy’

Source of information:

1.  VHF Ham Radio Repeaters reporting real-time intelligence on fires, road closures, evacuations, routes, etc.

2.  HF Ham Radio.  Voice was used often, but most importantly were emails over radio with official reports from the Okanogan Emergency Operations Center on the scope of the fire, disaster relief efforts, and progress reports in battling the wildfires.

3.  City officials and firefighters.

4.  Interviews with citizens on their first-hand accounts

5.  Observations by the AmRRON operators on the ground in the town of Conconully

6.  Scanner traffic of officials, firefighters, and any other vhf/uhf traffic in the vicinity

https://www.amrron.com/2015/08/24/washington-wildfire-deployment-conconully-in-pictures/

What would I do differently?

1.  Set up the 7200 and dedicate it to net check-ins with the other AmRRON operators and keep the 897D dedicated to welfare traffic and RMS Express email duty.

2. Set up the Icom V8000 dedicated to the linked repeater

3. Set up the Yaesu 2400 mobile 2m and task [code name] ‘Yosher’ with making 2m contacts and scanning for intel on simplex and area repeaters

4. Reallocate the FT100 to making digital/RMS contacts with the AmRRON network.

NOTE:  The city administrative personnel and firefighters used an assortment of Baofengs and commercial VHF and UHF comms and a local repeater set up for Fire/EMS, and most of them had 1 to 3 channels programmed in.  The DNR/USFS/BLM firefighters had similar commercial handhelds tied to a repeater.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:40 PM EDT
View Quote

the radiofreeredoubt podcasts are really worth a listen
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:02:27 PM EDT
Cool, I downloaded these two episodes and will listen to them as I work today.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:24:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:

View All Quotes

Obviously many people love podcasts or they wouldn't exist. But for me I find them the least efficient method possible of transferring information. In any given 30 minute podcast (or radio show, or TV show, or youtube video) the important information rarely exceeds 10% of the actual running time. When forced to I will download a podcast and use VLC or Media Player to play it back at usually X2 speed, and will normally skip ahead in several minute chunks if the someone is droning on about some unimportant point. I also typically watch most youtube videos at X2 speed, skipping over the "entertainment" portions. Sometimes I have to go back and listen/watch a few minutes here or there more carefully but I can usually knock off any such media in about 25% of the actual running time. I vastly prefer printed material, although some things are worth seeing on video. Audio-only is just not my cup of tea. In any case I just don't have the time to sit through this stuff. I almost never watch TV anymore, although I do still love the occasional movie and will give any movie 100% of my attention (no reading, eating, etc.)

Besides, how else would I generate the time to post worthless ramblings on internet forums?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:08:19 PM EDT
I hear you.  I download them, but usually only listen to them while mowing the lawn.  (takes a couple hours)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:25:21 PM EDT

Obviously many people love podcasts or they wouldn't exist. But for me I find them the least efficient method possible of transferring information. In any given 30 minute podcast (or radio show, or TV show, or youtube video) the important information rarely exceeds 10% of the actual running time. When forced to I will download a podcast and use VLC or Media Player to play it back at usually X2 speed, and will normally skip ahead in several minute chunks if the someone is droning on about some unimportant point. I also typically watch most youtube videos at X2 speed, skipping over the "entertainment" portions. Sometimes I have to go back and listen/watch a few minutes here or there more carefully but I can usually knock off any such media in about 25% of the actual running time. I vastly prefer printed material, although some things are worth seeing on video. Audio-only is just not my cup of tea. In any case I just don't have the time to sit through this stuff. I almost never watch TV anymore, although I do still love the occasional movie and will give any movie 100% of my attention (no reading, eating, etc.)

Besides, how else would I generate the time to post worthless ramblings on internet forums?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2015 4:52:07 PM EDT by generalissimo]
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CHjiuFehU
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gyprat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CHjiuFehU

reply of the day

ETA: i too watch Youtube videos at 2x speed, & use the arrow keys to shuttle forward past the extraneous stuff.
Top Top