Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2011 7:18:17 AM EDT
I have a surplus command post 10x20 wall tent that I will be taking on a 2 week trip in early November. Will be camping around 8000 feet and need some stove recommendations. I have a LP furnace out of a camper
I was thinking of rigging up but would rather burn wood.

Any advice on what I should get or stay away from?

Thanks

LOOKS LIKE THIS
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Click Me

Check out this site. I've used a bunch of their stoves, and I was very pleased.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is one of the best wall tent stoves,   Sims stove

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you buy a large enough stove for your applications. Last year I bought a surplus small GP tent and took it out with in the winter for a trial run. I paired it up with a yukon mil surp wood stove and found out the hard way I needed a larger stove. It's so small that needs to be fed wood about every hour or you'll wake up freezing because the fire died. A larger stove is on my list now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I own three Four Dog stoves, I like them a lot. The titanium ones have become insane expensive, they're my treasures. My welded steel one is better for semi-permanent set-ups that you can reach by boat or car. You aren't going to be hauling one far on a toboggan.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Does your tent have a 'stove jack' in the roof? I always liked the asbestos kind, but I don't know if you can get them anymore. There's nothing wrong with using 1 joint of double walled stove pipe to go through the stove jack either.

When I was guiding/outfitting, I used a stove heat-shield board between my stove and the tent wall...just as added insurance.

What ever you do, be careful!! I can't think of many things less fun than waking up in a burning tent.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
yep has the stove jack. Link is representative of size and shape mine looks to be a lot newer.

Would 2 big buddy heaters work? I think on high its rated at 18K BTU.

Going to set it all up next week and put gear in to see how it will work I'll get some pic's.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

yep has the stove jack. Link is representative of size and shape mine looks to be a lot newer.

Going to set it all up next week and put gear in to see how it will work I'll get some pic's.

I wouldn't put a propane or fuel oil/kerosene heater in any tent I'm going to sleep in. I personally wouldn't trust any heater that isn't vented through a conduit...like stovepipe. You may never wake up.

If you use a portable 'sheep-herder's stove' that burns wood, it'll keep a pretty large wall-tent pretty cozy. You do need a flue damper installed in the stovepipe and a spark arrester screen on the top. You damper down the flue and neck down the air intake on the stove and it will smolder all night. Just needs wood added in the AM.

When I was uiding and pulling mules I spent several months living in wall tents every hunting season. they can be 'right comfy' if a guy puts visqueen down for a floor and has a liner for extreme cold weather like 20 below.

A single sheep-herder stove will keep your 10x20 pretty toasty down to about 0 degrees. A guy can always set one up at each end and run stovepipe across the inside of the sidewall and T it in.

http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-cabelas-sheepherders-alaskan-packer-stoves-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=744761&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=0E9D5E9B-A98F-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Any heated camper or tent I have ever been in had a C02 detector in it. Wouldn't go without it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't put a propane or fuel oil/kerosene heater in any tent I'm going to sleep in. I personally wouldn't trust any heater that isn't vented through a conduit...like stovepipe. You may never wake up.

If you use a portable 'sheep-herder's stove' that burns wood, it'll keep a pretty large wall-tent pretty cozy. You do need a flue damper installed in the stovepipe and a spark arrester screen on the top. You damper down the flue and neck down the air intake on the stove and it will smolder all night. Just needs wood added in the AM.

When I was uiding and pulling mules I spent several months living in wall tents every hunting season. they can be 'right comfy' if a guy puts visqueen down for a floor and has a liner for extreme cold weather like 20 below.

A single sheep-herder stove will keep your 10x20 pretty toasty down to about 0 degrees. A guy can always set one up at each end and run stovepipe across the inside of the sidewall and T it in.

http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-cabelas-sheepherders-alaskan-packer-stoves-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=744761&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=0E9D5E9B-A98F-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

We use the packer stove in our 10x12 tent and it will run us out of there.

Changed over after our 6gal boat gas can stove rusted out.

Darn near everybody up here has used the old 6gal boat gas tank as a homemade stove.

They work very well even in really cold weather.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]

That looks ok if you're gonna be truck transportable and don't mind a 50 pound unit. I used to have to pack our stoves into the back country on mules, so we needed a lightweight stove with folding legs and stovepipe that would fit inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top