Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2014 8:36:56 AM EDT
Yesterday was nice, 60 degrees and light wind, so a friend came over to help me get my fan dipole built and up in the air.  It has 40m, 20m, 10m, and 6m.  That's the longest I could go for now.  Of course, last night a front came through with winds gusting to 60 mph and temps dropping from 60 to 6.  I was happy to see that it was still up this morning.  Last night before the wind storm I was able to make contacts in Wyoming, Ohio, and Florida on 40m and a bunch of local contacts in MO and AR on 10m.  I still need to add a support line so that all the weight is not on the 40m wire and add stretchers to eliminate the sag in the other wires.

You guys were right, of course, HF is where it's at.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!
Nice looking dipole.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great

you can work the world with that setup.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!  

I am near my radio if you want to make an ARFCOM contact on 20M.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
There ya go, nice setup! Your in bussiness now.

HS
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
niiiice.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!  

I am near my radio if you want to make an ARFCOM contact on 20M.
View Quote

Sorry, went downstairs for lunch.  20m seems pretty busy right now.  Looking for a clear frequency.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you check into the Ancient Modulators 6m net last night? I was grilling some supper and thought I heard you talking about this antenna.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you check into the Ancient Modulators 6m net last night? I was grilling some supper and thought I heard you talking about this antenna.
View Quote

Why, yes, I did.  I'm John in Catawissa.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great! Gotta love homebrew projects. Try loading it on 15 Meters. You just might be surprised by a "bonus" band!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks great! Gotta love homebrew projects. Try loading it on 15 Meters. You just might be surprised by a "bonus" band!
View Quote

I did and it works great there, too.  I don't have an antenna tuner yet, so I'm living with a fairly narrow slice of each band with low (<2) SWR.  Even so I'm making lots of contacts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Great news, that's a good looking dipole! 73, Rob
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was listening to the 6m net and heard you check in. I was busy grilling some supper for the family, so I didn't have time to pop in and say hello.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I still need to add a support line so that all the weight is not on the 40m wire and add stretchers to eliminate the sag in the other wires.
View All Quotes
I still need to add a support line so that all the weight is not on the 40m wire and add stretchers to eliminate the sag in the other wires.

Sag?  The antenna just looks fine to me, and getting wire straighter will not make it work any better.  You did a good job.  But putting a "messenger line" so that the weight is supported there instead of on the 40 m wires is something you need to do.  

Quoted:

You bet.  15 meters will easily work from the 40 meter elements.  And the OP can work the whole band on any of those bands, as well as 15 meters, with a tuner.  A piece of cake!  --as opposed to a pizza pie.    

I'll bet JC can even work 17 meters via tuner.

JC, good job!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess it must be working OK.  The first contact I made this morning on 40m was a guy in St. George, British Columbia -- 1,848 miles.    I know that's not all that far for most of y'all, but it's a first for me.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
40 Meters can be amazing after dark. I worked Algeria and South Africa Friday evening around 11 PM Eastern w/50 watts & a dipole using CW.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
yours is way neater than mine

well done!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
That's an excellent looking antenna and I bet it performs just as well as it looks!  A textbook example if I ever saw one!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's an excellent looking antenna and I bet it performs just as well as it looks!  A textbook example if I ever saw one!
View Quote

Thanks.  It's "text book" because I don't know what I'm doing . . . yet.  I wanted to copy something that works as closely as I could.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Did you just calculate and cut the wire, or did you do any fine tuning?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I calculated and cut.  I picked a frequency in the middle of each band to get the starting length.  I built a simple dipole for just 6m last week and found that I needed about 1.5" less length on each end than the calculator said to get it into the lower third of the band, so I used that SWAG for the other elements.  I cut the wire about 6" longer than the calculator said and then folded it back on itself at the calculated length minus 1.5" on each end.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

ETA:  It got too late in the day to do any tuning . . . then the front came through.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I calculated and cut.  I picked a frequency in the middle of each band to get the starting length.  I built a simple dipole for just 6m last week and found that I needed about 1.5" less length on each end than the calculator said to get it into the lower third of the band, so I used that SWAG for the other elements.  I cut the wire about 6" longer than the calculator said and then folded it back on itself at the calculated length minus 1.5" on each end.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

ETA:  It got too late in the day to do any tuning . . . then the front came through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's when you're SUPPOSED to be doing it
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:...I don't have an antenna tuner yet...
View Quote

If you want to try your hand at building one from a kit, take a look at this: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-941EK
Not many know of it because they don't advertise it
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you want to try your hand at building one from a kit, take a look at this: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-941EK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...I don't have an antenna tuner yet...

I will seriously consider that.  I enjoy the hands-on of building a lot.  Have soldering irons, will travel (but not far).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top