Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 2:55:21 PM EDT
Anybody ever do this?  I was thinking of sealing up some items to throw into my bag (matches, tinder, some bandages, etc.)  Nothing big, just some 'extras' in case my bag were to become soaked.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I do, for some things.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything... And I mean EVERYTHING in my BOB is vacuum packed.

Primarliy to save space, even a change of clothes and a cozy, warm & fuzzy sleeping bag thingy...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a great idea. Good enough for the Marine Corps, good enough for us. Their old USMC Force Recon SKIT was vacuum sealed and I have opened four of them now that were still sealed from 1990 and 1991.

You can't use the Reynold's sealer, it's a POS. Tilia and Rival are great.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Pack everything NON vac packed to make sure it all fits loose. Then vac pack what ever you need to . That way you know that your core gear WILL FIT un packed ( after you use stuff how would you repack? you cant in SHTF)  IF your gear will not all fit un vac packed you need a bigger bag.

Now that all your core gear fit un packed you have plenty of room with it vac packed for additional food which will be used up 1st  extending your range and survival time on the hoof.

This is just my personal opinion but unpacking stuff and having it turn into a mess because all your saved space is gone makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, you should see how small a fleece jacket gets when vac sealed!  A roll of TP gets pretty small too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pack everything NON vac packed to make sure it all fits loose. Then vac pack what ever you need to . That way you know that your core gear WILL FIT un packed ( after you use stuff how would you repack? you cant in SHTF)  IF your gear will not all fit un vac packed you need a bigger bag.

Now that all your core gear fit un packed you have plenty of room with it vac packed for additional food which will be used up 1st  extending your range and survival time on the hoof.

This is just my personal opinion but unpacking stuff and having it turn into a mess because all your saved space is gone makes no sense to me.

That's a great point!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top