Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 5:02:21 AM EST by sadmin]
Ever since my Grandmother passed and my dad and his brothers decided to sell her land in Hughes Springs; hunting has been really slow; like a few years. Well the good Lord decided to place rural land in my path in the last 4 months as I now have unlimited access to land in Nac., Mineola, and Crockett. The Mineola land hasnt been touched, not deer, nothing in over 20 years. Its like a wildlife refuge at 300 acres with a 60 acre pond and signs of every animal I could identify by footprint.

On to my question. There are some hog shootings in my future and im in the market to put together a rifle. I had a couple questions about whats a nice route to go. Im looking at a .450 Bushmaster, 6.8SPC, and a .308. I would like to save money as much as possible so I can put something good from SWFA on there. Here are my hangups:

1) .450 is it a novelty; how long will the ammo be available is a concern of mine.
2) 6.8; I own a 7.62X39 and a .270: am I really going to notice a difference besides shooting from long distances, I have never shot at anything over about 200 yards away.
3) .308; AR or M14? - I guess its platform preference here, but does anyone here hunt with a m1 or m14?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I have read all the benefits to the 6.8 on the boards; this is more of a personal preference to you that shoot often and shoot a variety.
Thanks for your time and take care all.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 5:55:16 AM EST by JimM44]
The 6.8 is a good choice but consider the 300 Wisper, you can shot both supersonic and subsonic with the same upper and could go with a can for the subsonic and follow up shots on those Hogs that you won't get with the supersonic.

Edit: If I wasn't clear enough you have two different rifles with a magazine change, go from silent Hog rifle to Deer rifle with just a different mag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:14:23 AM EST
I just bought a DPMS .308 carbine, I love the extra power and I can shoot it relatively cheap. Its eats the Barnaul monarch like candy and I can get them at academy for 8.99. I love the extra power of the .308!! I have yet to have one take a step with it. 6.8 is good, but ammo is expensive. I love the .308 over all you listed. You can deer hunt, elk etc.. Its a very versatile cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:35:37 AM EST
Im fond of the 7.62x39 cartridge, so the .308 wont be a huge departure. I only wish
I could get a decent scope mount for my SKS and I would actually use that.
Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By sadmin:
Im fond of the 7.62x39 cartridge, so the .308 wont be a huge departure. I only wish
I could get a decent scope mount for my SKS and I would actually use that.
Thanks for the advice.

Get a 308. Will stop anything in its way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:26:07 PM EST
If you are considering a big bore....I would forget about the 450 and go .458 SOCOM (huge selection of bullet weights and types). I honestly think we will see the 450 go by the wayside (if it hasn't already).

On the other end of the scale...I would go 6.8, it is really taking off and is here to stay. I shot one extensively this past weekend and I can say I am impressed with the accuracy and lack of recoil.

If you have access to land in "Nac" (where I am), you will probably have hogs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:39:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 2:42:08 PM EST by sadmin]

I am leaning towards the 6.8 since it seems readily available and I have a sun devil stripped lower sitting in the safe.
So. I guess thats it. I will go with the 6.8 and take some pics later on.
Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:51:53 PM EST

I am leaning towards the 6.8 since it seems readily available and I have a sun devil stripped lower sitting in the safe.

You'll be happy with it.

We just finished building one for my Brother and I believe it will prove to be a very versatile rifle for him.

We loaded up some 90 gr. hollow-points at around 3,000 fps for varmints (coyotes mostly), some 85 gr Barnes for hogs (a proven penetrating round) and he bought some 110 gr ballistic tips for deer and small hogs.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:59:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Flintknapper:

You'll be happy with it.

We just finished building one for my Brother and I believe it will prove to be a very versatile rifle for him.

We loaded up some 90 gr. hollow-points at around 3,000 fps for varmints (coyotes mostly), some 85 gr Barnes for hogs (a proven penetrating round) and he bought some 110 gr ballistic tips for deer and small hogs.

what manufacturer did you go with Flint? Im looking at the Stags for a starter upper. The property is actually in Melrose, which im sure you know where that is. Its really rooted up, so I know they are out there.

Top Top